SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast service@musiccds's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

spamming your way to the top

I launched a Smileys site last November and worked very hard to get it to the top of google for a couple of chosen keywords. I succeeded in Feb-March and got to #1. It lasted 6 weeks - now I've been knocked down to between , and I fear I'm going further south.

Who's beating me? Guys with more or better links? Nope. Guys with better on page content. Nope. Actually, guys with no links! The results above me contain only one or two real websites. ALL the rest are spams on blogs, and even NONEXISTENT SPAMS (ie. blog pages that no longer contain the keywords because they've been edited out - how can google list a blog page at number 3 for 2 words which only existed on that page in a single instance for about 48 hours and are now gone) and especially cloaked pages that redirect to other 'search engine' results.

In fact, I'm being beaten by a bunch of guys who are doing none of the stuff you're supposed to do and all of the stuff you're not supposed to do. It sucks! Meanwhile, I remain high in Yahoo which succeeds in filtering out all the garbage that google feasts on! Problem is - the business came from google. Really... it's depressing. I'll be happy when google's success catches up to it's ability to deliver relevant results.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Do the right thing and report them.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mstwntd
    Do the right thing and report them.
    Mike
    It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just stick it out. Spamming may work in the short term, but long term results are cultured over time

They'll get booted and eventually you can take your place back.
    Looking for people to post on an Adult forum.
    Must be cheap or willing to trade posts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CasualNerd
    Just stick it out. Spamming may work in the short term, but long term results are cultured over time

They'll get booted and eventually you can take your place back.
    Unfortunately that doesn't always work out like it should. Google rarely does manual penalizing/banning and if they do it involves very big websites that mess up the SE results big time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i agree w/peach.. i've reported several 'spam' sites to G as well... they've never done a thing.

as far as spammers go, yes they will get banned, but then they'll get another domain and do the same thing again. if it wasn't for spammers, search technology would never advance.

you can do one of two things... beat em, or join em (personally i stick with beat em as i run several legit businesses... but in some cases you might want to explore the dark side... especially if you have 'throw-away' domains)