SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spidering Banners

Hi there everyone, does any body know how to spider a banner ad into a webpage? and how do i automate this process?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well you have to try and be more specific. Are you looking for an Ad Server or an Ad Serving script? Or are you asking how to insert banner images into your web pages. I am not sure what you mean by spider.
    bsacks
    http://www.middlepeak.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re : Spider

I mean an Ad serving Script, i saw it with webzip(the software that downloads websites) and each page i downloaded a special webzip banner was placed on the page, is there a way that i can do that, to save me the tedious task of copying and pasting the code(Ad Serving Script) everytime i create a webpage.

Xbox why have you forsaken me? moospot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not sure what HTML editor you are using, but you should be able to create a template for your pages that includes your banner code.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dream Weaver 4.0

Hi, i use Dream Weaver but is there a way that i can make a code be automatically inserted into my page each time i upload to the server? Is it a CGI Script that i need to install?
    for eg. when homepage.com had its days of glory, each page you uploaded had an Altavista Banner.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let me see if I understand this right. You have an existing page(s) that you have already created and each time you upload to the server, you want a new banner inserted into the page?

I was thinking that you were creating new pages from scratch. If you are building them from scratch, you can create a template in Dreamweaver with the code built in. Then you just create all of your new pages from that template.

If you want new code inserted into existing pages each time you upload, I am afraid that I can't help you . I don't know how to do that.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Jeremy W.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would require some rather pain in the butt server side processing... You would need to upload the code through the browser and the SSA (server side app) would take a look, see if it matches certain criteria and if it does insert your code... I think this is more tedious then it is worth for you.
    SVP Marketing, SoCast SRM
    Personal blog: Strategerize
    Twitter: @jeremywright

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

exactly

you have it. All of the above and even for pages that have not yet been uploaded. How do i get the banner to appear into the page after i upload? eg. When you upload to the former homepage.com "yourname.hoempage.com" there is a banner in your page by default. How do they do it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Site Server Commerce Edition which has a nice Ad creation and management tool, but you can also create a rotating banner component in ASP. Check out this link:

AdRotator Component

You might be able to use this to your advantage.

Good Luck!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The system that i use

I use http://www.adrotator.com they have nice tools such as setting percentage and expiration dates etc. But lets say i gave someone a sub-site on my domain, with their own ftp login to upload data. How can i activate my adserver script on their webpages automatically without them having to copy and paste the code each time they build and upload a webpage

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

let me show you what i mean

when i downloaded this software called webzip(it allows me to download a whole website into a .zip file) i used it to make a copy of an old site i had which i needed on my hard drive, but at the end of the download and i was in the process of editing i saw this code:

<!-- Spidersoft WebZIP Banner Ad Insert -->
    <!-- For removal instructions see: http://www.spidersoft.com/webzip/help/noads.asp -->

<SCRIPT FOR=window EVENT=onload LANGUAGE="JScript">
    initAd();
    </SCRIPT>

<script language="JScript">
    <!--

function initAd() {
    document.all.AdLayer.style.posTop = -200;
    document.all.AdLayer.style.visibility = 'visible'
    MoveLayer('AdLayer');
    }

function MoveLayer(layerName) {
    var x = 10;
    var y = 10;
    var diff = (document.body.scrollTop + y - document.all.AdLayer.style.posTop)*.40;
    var y = document.body.scrollTop + y - diff;
    eval("document.all." + layerName + ".style.posTop = y");
    eval("document.all." + layerName + ".style.posLeft = x");
    setTimeout("MoveLayer('AdLayer');", 60);
    }

if (navigator.onLine){
    document.write("<div bgcolor=#000000 style='height=70px;'></div>");
    document.write("<div id=AdLayer style='position:absolute; width:100%; height:80px; z-index:20; visibility:hidden;'>");
    document.write("<IFRAME SRC='http://www.spidersoft.com/ads/bwz468_60.asp' width=100% height=60 marginwidth=0 marginheight=0 hspace=0 vspace=0 frameborder=0 scrolling=no></IFRAME>");
    document.write("</div>");
    }
    //-->
    </script>

<!-- /Spidersoft WebZIP Banner Ad Insert -->

And it displayed the banner, i know they programmed the software to insert the code automatically into the webpage, but can this work on the server side?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats what the ASP AdRotator component does. You insert the script and it reads the code from a text file. You can specify your ad (or multiple ads) and links in that text file.

You can use a SSI (server side include) to manage the code, but how you can get it into their page without copying and pasting on their part, I am not sure of.

I guess if they are using a web based form to create their pages, you can run a script to insert the code when the form is submitted. That may be the easiest way I can think of o do what you are asking. If they are uploading via FTP, then I dont know how to accomplish what you are asking.

Hopefully, someone can give us some insight on how this is done!

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Jeremy W.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I said earlier, it requires a specifically programmed server side component. It isn't part of site server, adrotator doesn't cover it.

If it helps, my company can do it for you, but I've already explained as much as I can. Simply put, it inserts the necessary code at the beginning of the file, or, more intelligently, at the appropriate place in the file (<head> or whatever).
    SVP Marketing, SoCast SRM
    Personal blog: Strategerize
    Twitter: @jeremywright

SitePoint Co-founder Matt Mickiewicz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For information on Server Side Includes, see:
    http://www.webmasterbase.com/article.php/27

You could also use a search & replace program such as BK Replace 'EM to swap a chunk of HTML code with another one.

For example,

replace

<body>

with

<body>
    <ad code stuff>

It could repeat this for all your HTML files automatically.
    Matt Mickiewicz - Co-Founder
    SitePoint.com - Empowering Web Developers Since 1997
    Follow me on Twitter.