User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast oneafrikan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

php/mysql and chmod

Hi there all

Got a question which is keeping me from going any further.
    I need to chmod files and directories on my localhost, on a win2k machine, running apache, php and mySQL, mainly to run phpMyAdmin, test phpnuke, backend, mambo and phpslash, so that I can find out for myself what use they will be to me, and what would be the best option for me to go about building my site.

i havent the time right now to learn unix, so win2k is my best option, and i need to develop locally 'cos internet connectivity here in ZA is very expensive. .

Ive thought of installing an ftp prog. (warftp - <<can I use cuteftp on a localhost?>>) to use with the apache webserver, and then chmodding the necessary with that, but that seems to be a roundabout way to do something so "easy".

Anyway - I would really appreciate a little guidance here, and hopefully solve this "little" problem once and for all - no more late nights....

Thanks millions
    timberwolf
    -> www.oneafrikan.com ><-><><-><-><-><-><
    -> www.openboxsoftware.com ><><-><-><-><

Dumb PHP codin' cat
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Permissions work differently on Win2k than they do on unix, with that chmod does not exist on Windows. Are you having a specific problem where phpMyAdmin does not work? It should merely be a task of changing paths around in the config files for each of those programs. So is there a specific program which is not running correctly? If so, what is not working with it? Chances are you don't need to chmod anything but merely need to change a few settings in the script.
    Please don't PM me with questions.
    Use the forums, that is what they are here for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hehehehe

Hi Freddy

It looks like I'm the dumb-***! ;-)

After reading many tuts, help files and bb's, I thought that chmod was necessary in both os's - that said, your comment makes perfect sense - to answer your question, my problems are with setting up mysql in win2k, importing database structures from the original php applications, into mySQL running on localhost, and then testing.
    I basically wanted to sort out all problems first, and then get going, but now that you mention it, I needn't worry (assuming your answer is correct, which I hope it is! )

Thanks for your help!!

timberwolf

Dumb PHP codin' cat
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't worry about chmod as much as I would about getting mysql, php and a web server running. MySQL is rather simple to get going on Win2k, if you have any further problems just ask.

But I would suggest you get your test env setup first before worrying too much about file permissions for scripts that you have yet to install. You might want to do a quick search on these forums for a php bundle that will install php, mysql and apache for you. firepages puts out a pretty good one. Or you can do like I would and dive in head first and install each one on your own, you will come out of it with some good knowledge.
    Please don't PM me with questions.
    Use the forums, that is what they are here for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thank you

Thanks

have a goodie - time for bed here....
    Later
    timberwolf