SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ohhh -- only that since Netscape 6's new rendering engine is so fast and efficient that it takes ten minutes to load the program! =)
    Don't get me wrong, I'm a Netscape fan, but taking that long to load a program doesn't fly, so to speak. Mozilla is a better bet until netscape 6.5 comes out.
    Colin Anderson
    Ambition is a poor excuse for those without
    sense enough to be lazy.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not only does the new rendering engine take so long to load, it doesn't even work that well when it does. Has anybody checked all their "Netscape compliant" sites in 6.0 yet? I have and I was very bummed out. I have a feeling there will be millions of "Netscape compliant" sites that don't work well in 6.0.
    bsacks
    http://www.middlepeak.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WoW. Just downloaded Mozilla 0.9.1. And I'm very impressed. It's fast -- renders quickly just like its Netscape 6.1 counterpart, yet doesn't vacuum up half of the system resources like NS6.1. I'm thinking that every competent webmaster/designer should have a copy of Mozilla along with IE, Netscape, Opera, etc.
    Colin Anderson
    sense enough to be lazy.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you seen the stats lately?
    http://www.iexp.com/hitman/reports/agent.html
    Just one source. Some sources differ a little.
    bsacks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How very interesting. I think I'll keep that bookmarked. Okay, there's obviously several on there with less (quite a bit less as a matter of fact) market share than is note-worthy -- but is it just me, or is Mozilla absent from the list?
    Colin Anderson
    sense enough to be lazy.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think there is more to being competent than being all inclusive. Sometimes trade offs are in order. We can work smarter rather than harder. For instance I have been working for a marketing industry e-mag. Our target audience is marketing executives. So do I need to worry about Opera and Mozilla, No.
    Less than 10% of our users are on some flavor of NN so I have to support that, but that's it.
    bsacks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For web designers, I would recommend installing Netscape 4, Mozilla, Internet Explorer and Opera.

What I would do is install all the 3 browsers except IE on a separat harddrive. So whenever I format the computer, the browsers are there without the registry stuffs! hahah

Mozilla 0.9.1 Build seem to have come up with some weird stuffs. I'm waiting till the next version to crrect one bug in display problems at Nortiq.com.

It appears they are taking exceptionally long time to produce a build. Possibly due to problems faced. So.......yep...
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."
    -- Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before posting, I will first confess to not reading the whole two pages of this thread first. But I agree with most of what I read so far. And since I know it is of little importance to most people, it doesnt demand a whole lot of attention. However it is still worth my two cents. So here goes.

I see everyone mentioning browsers and their respective reasons for supporting / not supporting them. But, I havent seen a single mention of lynx?

Yeah yeah its only a textual based browser and no business based site really needs to cater to it. However, it is still worthwhile to at least make sure a site is navigable in a textual environment. I mean if you depend solely on images for navigational links and your page layout it such that you cant proceed to navigate in a textual environment, your site is prett much useless in these circumstances.

Ok, for those of you who find this post a waste of space, or it was already mentioned, I promise to read the entire thread next But as a Linux enthusiast ( not guru ) I just had to poke in a mix things up with the textual based browser comment. Thanks for bearing with me.
    Messiah | Ink-Press: web publishing simplified!