Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Netscape Messed up my site

http://www.walker-instore.com/main.html

Can Someone check out my site on Netscape (any version) and tell me whats going on. None of my layers are showing up IF you compare it with explorer you'll see what I mean.

Thanks for your Input.
    Last edited by Nicky; Jun 18, 2001 at 16:32.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Technically -- Netscape didn't mess up your site -- it's the code. Since Netscape (a browser) is a target -- you make your code for Netscape, IE, etc. as opposed to browsers conforming to your code -- you conform your code to them. Just so you know. =) Down to business. I don't use layers proficiently, however, you are using some Style Sheet elements to place positions on your site, correct? Netscape and IE have differences in ways they position from margins using Style Sheets. Try setting all the margins to zero and then position off of that -- that should solve your problem.
    Good luck and happy coding!
    Last edited by Aes; Jun 18, 2001 at 14:18.
    Colin Anderson
    Ambition is a poor excuse for those without
    sense enough to be lazy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DanDor...

No offense, but it means that something is wrong in your code. While Netscape is extremely picky and often buggy, valid HTML code works fine in it.

As for me, I viewed the site in IE 5.5 and NS 4.7. The site looks great in IE. In NS, the images for the navigation don't even load, much less show me the drop down menus. I would have to say that this is a result of something wrong in the Javascript. There are several options for you, from checking out dHTMLlab.com to software.xfx.net's dHTML Builder.

Also, I don't think that the dHTML portion of the site could be solely at fault for the downloading problems. You might consider checking your TABLE structures as well. Netscape chokes on TABLES that are nested more than 3 deep. I don't know if this is what it is, but the best thing to do would be to break your site down into sections (codewise) and check them one by one.

Download Netscape too. It's free and should be in every designers toolbox whether you think it's crap (I do) or not.

Good luck.
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Netscape Boycott

I want to organize a Netscape Boycott. We write the code folks, we have the power. If we stop catering to them they will just go away. Why do we always have to consider Netscape, they lose market share every month. Lets just help it along. If we stop writing code for Netscape people will stop using it. Then we can make better sites and be happy. Who's with me!!!!!
    bsacks
    http://www.middlepeak.com

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually like Netscape, more often than not it is my browser of choice.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I used Netscape for years too. But, it is slow, and it renders code badly. We all know it's true. When the W3C come out with a standard we should expect the major browsers to render code that complies with the standard. We have all written valid html and had it not work in netscape. I'm sick of it.
    bsacks

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I disagree, bsacks. Correctly written code should be fine in Netscape. Correctly written code doesn't mean it will display fine in IE and Netscape, it means it conforms to the standards. There are probably some rare instances where Netscape does not correctly render correct code but these are rare.

Most people that dislike Netscape do it because they rely on Internet Explorer's forgivingness.

bsacks, why would you want to organize a boycott? That would only decrease browser competition and hinder advances in browsers. And you wouldn't want Microsoft to dominate the browser market, would you?
    Who's with me!!!
    Sorry, but not me. I'd likely be on an opposing boycott, which would get people coding correctly.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some very good points were made against the boycott and I am willing to wait until the time is more ripe for revolution. I now that a lot of people are really good at solving browser issues and I respect those skills very much. Three years ago I would have been the last person to say nice things about IE. And, I would have preferred it if Netscape had won the browser wars. But, that was a different IE and Netscape was leaps ahead in being up to standards.
    Now things are different.
    IE is forgiving and does allow bad code to render well, and I agree that is a flaw. However, Netscape flounders when it comes to complex tables. Deeply embedded tables just wont load. I'm not saying my code is that great and it should always work because that would be crap. What I am saying is that struggling to write and rewrite some table all day (and night) is a waste. I've had code that I new was perfect, worked on it so long I could see the tables in my sleep, and couldn’t get it to work. I'd bet real money I'm not the only one who just never found out why that one piece of code wouldn't work.
    bsacks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Creole said it all.

..be glad that IE is forgiving...and netscape is stringent on the code...cause now there's a way of distinguishing real web designers...and those that hardly pass off...
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."
    -- Albert Einstein

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok Ok I am sufficiently beat down. It's not that cool to say people who have had problems with code in Netscape have insufficient skill. A lot of times I could have changed a table slightly or done the layout differently, but that is not always acceptable. We have all had bosses or clients that wanted something to look exactly one specific way. And a lot of times it takes longer to get it to look that way in Netscape than it did to build the whole project in the first place.
    bsacks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    YEP. Sure is.
    If you checked out my Personal Site,
    I made it for iE only. *grrrr*
    If you check out Nortiq Web Services, view it in any browser and it still functions like in IE.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."
    -- Albert Einstein

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look again.
    I have 4.77 and the poll table and web development navigation table are dark dark blue. And, I'll bet money again that your code is valid.
    bsacks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by bsacks
    Look again.
    I have 4.77 and the poll table and web development navigation table are dark dark blue. And, I'll bet money again that your code is valid.
    what are you saying.
    what darkblue? i checked with netscpae 4.76 and its alright. wait for the backgorund image to load.
    -- Albert Einstein

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think your site is really cool. Check it in 4.77 Netscape. I know your code is good and I know you are a very good web designer. But it looks different in 4.76 than it does in 4.77. Which is really my point here. It is a waste of your time.
    bsacks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yicks! There's a differnet?
    I'm grabbing the latest Verison now.
    Will update you =)
    -- Albert Einstein

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So will you join my boycott?

To be honest I was actually joking about boycotting, but you guys went off so hard I felt obligated to defend my position.
    bsacks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    argh!
    it works on Netscape 4.77 too.
    Could you make a screenshot for me please?

Thanks
    -- Albert Einstein

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    bsacks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    YICKS!
    Why is it happening on yours and not mine?
    The error is due to netscpae not loading white.gif image.

thanks bsacks for taking the time to make a screenshot for me!
    -- Albert Einstein

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, no problem.

One point that I really want to make about all this is that:
    While we are all scrambling to keep up with the next technology and learn a new scripting language. The mark up that we use to display the output from our scripts and applications is becoming secondary. When we have to spend a large part of our time debugging it it's a waste. I think Microsoft has done a lot more to accomidate our needs.
    bsacks

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for everyone's time. I guess I'll have to make a Netscape "Friendly" site since its codeing skills are lacking compared to IE. My preferred browser is and will always be IE.

I know you all say that IE is more forgiving in its code, but come on its not. I shouldn't have to recreate a Netscape version site IF Netscape was so awesome. Netscape seems having trouble handling DHTML and CSS. NS can't even handle simple text rollovers (hovers). So until NS dies and IE rises from the dust were all held in the Netscape stranglehold.

Has anyone even tried to use Netscape 6 yet?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't try Netscape 6.
    Go for Mozilla.
    -- Albert Einstein

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah, uh... Don't get me started on Netscape 6.0.
    bsacks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by bsacks
    yeah, uh... Don't get me started on Netscape 6.0.
    ah! start start! eheh....pardon me. just being childish. VERY childish.
    -- Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    erm..Netscape 6 sucks? I never used it. Only Mozilla Builds.
    -- Albert Einstein