SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do subdomains count as 'backlinks'?

I was just curious here. I have a small lyrics site that I am just starting, and I thought a good way to drive cross traffic would be to do seperate pages about the bands and such, and link all the lyrics pages to them, and vice versa. My question is this - would I be better of buying a whole new domain name to put the information about the bands on, or would it be just the same using a subdomain of my lyrics site to put them on? In the long run, which would help my google ranks more?
    Thanks!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, yes, cunning idea, you could boost things slightly with different domain/subdomain names, but equally, spending the same time and effort in cultivating external links would be much better, I guess.

SitePoint Enthusiast michelangelo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In terms of pagerank, it's pretty irrelevant whether they are on different domains / sub-domains. What matters is whether the links are coming from your pages or external pages. If the links come from your pages, you are just redistributing your pagerank. If links come from external pages, you are increasing your pagerank.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by polyxena
    Well, yes, cunning idea, you could boost things slightly with different domain/subdomain names, but equally, spending the same time and effort in cultivating external links would be much better, I guess.
    Well, if I'm going to make the pages with the band bios one way or the other, the subdomain idea would work better is what your trying to say?

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use directories. Don't buy new domains. Subdomains is better than new domains, but subdomains have more potential negatives, and when talking about bands, you have a bottomless pit of potential expansion you could do over the years. Making hundreds of subdomains would be crazy.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2010
    Making hundreds of subdomains would be crazy.
    Thats exactly what I thought, just wasn't sure if it made any more sense then creating hundreds of directories (which would also help my PR just because of lots of content)

Quote Originally Posted by 2010
    Subdomains is better than new domains, but subdomains have more potential negatives
    What would be the drawbacks?

And just another thing that came to mind, since I'd be using subdomains, that would take away from the content of my original site. So that leads to the question - is more content > subdomains backlinking to my lyrics? SEO can never be simple

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy someonewhois's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by michelangelo
    In terms of pagerank, it's pretty irrelevant whether they are on different domains / sub-domains. What matters is whether the links are coming from your pages or external pages. If the links come from your pages, you are just redistributing your pagerank. If links come from external pages, you are increasing your pagerank.
    It's completely irrelevant whether the pages are on your site or not. Rankings (which includes PR) is on a per-page basis. That's it. Whether you have files, directories, subdomains, or domains... it's identical.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Itis completely irrelevant from a pagerank perspective, but from a bigger perspective crosslinking many domains can be seen as spam, or at least a ranking negative, by one or more of the search engines. Also, new domains will be sandboxed so you can count on better rankings from new pages on your own site.

Subdomains are the spammers favorite thing these days, specifically structured in a way similar to how you would likely use them: beatles.lyrics.tld. You don't want to have things in common with the worst spammers on the Internet, if you can avoid it anyway. www.lyrics.tld/beatles/ (or whatever) is your safest way to go, as well as the most logical.

There is zero pagerank element to consider here. PR will be precisely the same no matter where the pages are.

You do have fairly simple considerations here. Doing it any of the three ways (new domain, subdomain, directories) can have positives. The first two have significant risks while the latter has none at all. Considering this is a "side" type of project and not your main focus, I'd definitely see the latter as clearly the best choice. Don't risk your valuable thing over minor things.