SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where did everyone learn to make graphics?

Hello,
    I am a newb at web design and graphics, and I was wondering, where does everyone learn their skills.

Thanks,
    Chris

SitePoint Enthusiast heartsaffection's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just learnt in my own time. I use Paint Shop Pro 8.0. I know a couple of people that have been to college to do short computer art courses. You may like to give your local college a call and see what they have to offer. Most of them are part-time just a few hours a week over however many weeks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the internet. I also bought some books on the topic

Cheers

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sorry to sound all philosophical, but how did you learn to ride a bike?

Challenge yourself and PRACTICE!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a difference between learning 'Graphic Design' itself, and learning how to use a specific program to make graphics.

I've been trying to learn the basics of design by reading books and online articles, but it's a big area to cover.

I learnt how to use programs such as Photoshop/Fireworks just by practicing, and giving myself goals. The main thing to do is keep on practicing, and don't give up when you become frustrated.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I learned a bit of theory in school, and built up my skills from there. Graphic design principles are crucial to know in my opinion. Pretty straight-forward stuff, yet I see so many 'so called' designers with no clue.

Either way, there are no tutorials that can teach you to be a great designer. It takes time, patience and often a lot of frustration as bcr mentioned above.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd agree that Graphic design principles are the basis, yet many people, including me (hm, I call my self a 'designer'), skipped a large part of it.

Do you happen to know good online source for that? I find only specific program tuts which don't really interest me.

Thanks

Night Elf silver trophybronze trophy Varelse's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I agree with the opinions above - one thing is the real design skill that cannot be learned, and the second - knowledge of graphic programs, which can be mastered by practice.
    Some basic rules and principles also apply.
    I've seen many "designers" with acceptable knowledge of Photoshop (for example), but apparently with no skill at all... And they didn't complain about lack of clients
    FreelanceDaddy - freelancer's personal advisor
    █ Guide and advice for freelancers starting their career
    █ Over 1000 projects posted on freelance markets every day
    █ One-stop resource for online freelancing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by varelse
    I've seen many "designers" with acceptable knowledge of Photoshop (for example), but apparently with no skill at all... And they didn't complain about lack of clients
    Very true, unfortunately! It seems that many clients like to see a cool effect or something. It's very hard to sell a simple, clean (and thus high quality) design to an average client. Selling and design are obviously two different proffessions.

And as my friend once said to me: "To be the a marketing guru and a great designer - that would require 2 kostas".

Cheers

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by varelse
    That's the thing with clients, man. A lot of them just can't tell decent design from terrible design and unfortunately some designers choose to take avantage of them.

Lets not forget how some clents' input can make or break a great design also. Nothing worse than doing a great piece, only to have the client turn it into a pigs breakfast.

Kosta, there's a nice article by bo5ton here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mstwntd
    That's the thing with clients, man. A lot of them just can't tell decent design from terrible design and unfortunately some designers choose to take avantage of them.
    Yep, that's a good point. It can drive you up the wall when you show a client a perfectly good design, and they just look at it blankly, with no enthusiasm at all.

It can be very annoying at times, but it would be the same in every profession. I'm sure a builder would look at a house much differently than I would.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kosta, there's a nice article by bo5ton here.
    Thanks Egor, although the images seem to be down I think I read it some time ago, and now I was looking for something a bit more 'advanced'. Thanks for the link, though.

I think we could have a good debate about whether to hold to your principles when designing, or just do whatever the client wants

How to explain to a client what is good and what is not, what works and what doesn't etc? My clients usualy just won't listen to me

Cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was little I loved paint, remember I was good at making walls with grafiti on it .. the spraycan is awsome btw heh

Then I startet using paint shop pro.. just for a little time, and then I started using photoshop.
    KennethODea.com - my work blog
    Blogdose.com - comming soon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I downloaded the free trial of Paint Shop Pro 5 and just started experimenting. After some trial & error I found some articles on bitmap vs vector properties. I just continued on learning & experimenting with various graphic programs

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gotshoes
    When I was little I loved paint, remember I was good at making walls with grafiti on it .. the spraycan is awsome btw heh
    Haha, yeah, been there done that! Had to face the consequences. Nothing is more exciting than the smell of spraypaint at 2am on top of a shop though.

Mazel tov! bronze trophy kohoutek's Avatar
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This seems like such a small question, and yet almost impossible to answer.

First off, I'd say it strongly depends on what you mean by "making graphics".

If you have Artistic talent and want to create graphics/art via the computer, then it's best to buy yourself technical books on how to create graphics via the tool of your choice, e.g. Adobe Photshop, CorelDraw etc. and practice/work yourself through it.

If your question is more general, then that's like asking "where did you learn to draw a picture, a still, oil painting, brush painting" ... There are only two ways to learn to do that. Either you are an auto-didact, where formal schooling might not be necessary or you can go to Uni or take courses etc. to learn about Art, History of Art, techniques etc.

Most importantly though is passion and a strong sense for visual Art.
    Maleika E. A. | Rockatee | Twitter | Dribbble

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hehe - about 5 years ago i joine a wrestling community... started off by making forum sigs, avatars and the odd logo.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy conradical's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I've always had an interest in graphics, drew constantly as a kid (haven't done paper since i got myself a computer...ironic!) SO you can say, it was always a desire. I did learn how to do it 'digitally' though and have been using it ever since!

TO improve and get better though, takes a lot of reading and is a daily learning process. Looking at a LOT of design books, from around the wrold. Driving. I would say that one of the key factors in graphics is to pay detailed attention to observe minutely.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've also been drawing as long as I can remember. I began doing computer graphics around 2000 when I got my Wacom tablet. I started drawing with Flash and a little with PS. Well, maybe a bit of Deluxe Paint on my Amiga around 1990 or something..

The reason I use Corel is I worked at a public library for a while making posters and stuff, and all they had was this weird software I knew nothing about. I'm very happy that I had to learn it, otherwise I probably wouldn't have had the patience to learn it from scratch.

But that's just with technique though. Everything I do in design that concerns color theory and composition and whatever.. That's all still from the gut, and I feel I have no business working this field professionally until I learn more. Either from some school or by studying by myself.

Passion is the key element here, true.
    If you were the Baltic Sea and I were a cup, uh-huh.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy conradical's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    raskone what is your site about? I absolutely love the work there. Unfortunately i am at work, i clicked through most of the artwork...awesome. i fell in love with it.

IT is a good resource for inspiration too!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You're right conrad. That is some awesome stuff!
    Sara

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I learned how to use graphic programs from a variation of books and online articles. I learned most creative and technique from graphic communities, the main one being:

http://www.foundryfive.com/forums/

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by conradical
    raskone what is your site about? I absolutely love the work there. Unfortunately i am at work, i clicked through most of the artwork...awesome. i fell in love with it.

IT is a good resource for inspiration too!
    Well thanks The site is just a personal playground, if that's what you mean. Just stuff I've done and experiments in styles. I'll have to make a "real" portfolio for job seeking this summer.

I think the best way to learn graphics is to find something to completely freak out about, get enthusiastic and just experiment. Browse different kinds of galleries both online and IRL. Discover something you never thought of doing, imitate, learn, process, create, benefit

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Raskone, that is great stuff! Do you start with pencil sketches for the illustrations, or do it all on the screen? I've always wanted to get into this sort of stuff.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Raskone, that is great stuff! Do you start with pencil sketches for the illustrations, or do it all on the screen? I've always wanted to get into this sort of stuff.
    Oh geez, I don't want this thread to get hijacked to discuss my work... But, to answer your question, I used sketches until recently, now I just work straight to screen, sometimes using photos for reference.

I encourage everyone to try this sort of stuff, it's very rewarding

And I sure wish I'd continued spraypainting back in the day. It's been ten years since I touched a can.. Would be awesome to be good at it. You know, make stuff like I'm doing with a computer now - but on walls!