SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stupid Movie Techno Goofs

Has anyone noticed that in the movies, no matter how large or small the file is, it always fits on a floppy. It could contain hundreds of images, sound files, coroporate databases and it still fits on a floppy.

This drives me crazy.

Are there any other things like this that people have noticed in movies that drive them crazy?
    [www.fuzzylizard.com]
    Web Design | Flash | ColdFusion

I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaack! Fluffykins's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On a completely opposite note, something that really impressed me... in Digimon the Movie the computer screens actually looked like windows! There was dial-up networking dialogues and everything! No wonder I've watched the DVD like 20 times already

(Yes, i'm still a kid)

Ady
    v-technologies - Freelance Goodness.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is currently being discussed

http://www.sitepointforums.com/showt...threadid=24980

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Somehow I find that fitting that a cartoon would get a GUI right where as the big name hollywood movies can't seem to ever get it right.

I think the worst GUI I have ever seen is in the movie Jurassic Park.

"This is UNIX I know this"

I think an OS that makes you fly aimlessly around in 3D space looking for files would be entertaining for about a day, then I would have to actually get something done.
    [www.fuzzylizard.com]
    Web Design | Flash | ColdFusion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't believe she mentions UNIX -- I'm pretty sure (not positive) she just says "I know this." I could be wrong.

Anyway, I remember reading that it actually is a program/OS of some kind, I don't remember where though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    one of my favorite goofs was in Office Space. When the guys are looking at the computer it is obviously a PC, but the GUI looks suspiciously like the Mac OS.
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Movies?

If somebody has to use a computer very quiety so as not to get caught, the computer will still beep, click and buzz every time you press "enter".
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Text files or a list of names always takes 2 or three minutes to load onto a floppy/cd/optical and the progress bar will fill the screen.

You can find someones Name, address and telephone number in 2 seconds flat with just the first three letters of their number plate.

Modern Technology .... aaahhhh

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a big kick out of the movie Independence Day when the braniac hero decides that a mac computer virus can infiltrate the advanced weaponry and systems of an entire alien colony.

How bout them apples?

********* Callithumpian silver trophy freakysid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, oh, oh, ...

what was that movie from a few years ago with Michael Douglas and that evil fellatio giving character played by Demi Moore about corporate ladder climbing and backstabing in a high-tech company? That movie featured a virtual reality computer file system complete with a treadmill type thing you stood on to walk around the file system.

********* Callithumpian silver trophy freakysid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sparkie, that virus is commonly referred to as MacOS. Bound to crash any computer - even macs!

Houston, Tejas; Future Capital of the World
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My full time profession (the one that keeps me housed & fed, and occupies too many hours of each day) is as a Private Investigator. I always get a kick out of movies and their unrealistic portrayal of my profession and/or investigative type methods:

* All those crazy movies & tv shows that try and glamorize the PI in their job. No Ferrarri's here, I seldom carry a gun, have never kicked out a door or picked the lock, etc. 90% of a PI's job is at a desk either on a computer, on the phone, or reviewing court documents. But I do get to hang around lots of cute women in some of my cases.
    * Any PI that did half the stuff these TV yahoos did would end up in jail,poor due to being sued, and without a license. If a PI breaks the law, they are subject to lots of trouble. Especially in California, which has some of the most stringent rules, yet is also the location of most PI shows.
    * I can get lots of information over my computer, and some of it fast, but there is no instant scan in of a persons finger print and get their life history, or even a name based database that has all their info and a picture to boot. If it was that easy, I'd save much of my time and effort. Also each time these yahoos are shown getting a credit report or watching credit card usage, they are violating so many laws and regulations their computer would melt. ANd Unkie Sam is serious about that stuff.

Having also had previous experience in the military and as an emergency medic, I can usually laugh at the errors in war & emergency shows also.

But I do try and remember it's a fantasy world they are depicting.

I just wish the clients out there would also. I can't tell you how many times I get a call saying "Here's the persons name. I want to know everywhere they worked and lived for the last ten years, if they were ever arrested anywhere, and how much money they made last year. I'll stay on hold while you look that up..."
    Brian Poirier
    SunStockPhoto: Stock Photos, Fine Art Photos, Event Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They use Macs to hack in Hackers. *cough* right...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by TWTCommish
    I don't believe she mentions UNIX -- I'm pretty sure (not positive) she just says "I know this." I could be wrong.
    I am pretty sure she does say "This is a UNIX system, i know this." or something similar.. got nothing better to do tonight, maybe i will watch it and find out.
    Some say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice.
    From what I've tasted of desire
    I hold with those who favor fire.

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by freakysid
    Oh, oh, oh, ...

what was that movie from a few years ago with Michael Douglas and that evil fellatio giving character played by Demi Moore about corporate ladder climbing and backstabing in a high-tech company? That movie featured a virtual reality computer file system complete with a treadmill type thing you stood on to walk around the file system.
    Disclosure?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by TWTCommish
    Got this from the Internet Movie Database
    in the trivia section for Jurassic park.
    The park software is written in Pascal; a program is clearly visible in one of the monitor close-ups on the UNIX system. The graphical interface recognized as a UNIX system is Silicon Graphics' "3D File System Navigator".
    This is in the Goofs Sections
    Incorrectly regarded as goofs: Lex says, "It's a UNIX system! I know this!" while looking at a graphical display. While the display in question was not typical of UNIX systems of that era, it was indeed a commercial UNIX system (see trivia entry).
    Last edited by bman; Jun 18, 2001 at 19:40.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks bman -- enlightening.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also never understood why hackers in movies never use mice. Why is that?

And as everyone else has pointed out, why do all these GUIs have a 3d look and you move around? In Swordfish this computer had like 10 monitors or so....what the hell point would need 10 monitors for??????? I could see 2 maybe 3 if you got a lot going on. But geez. They try too hard to be cool, and cutting edge. They forget realism in the process.
    ravio.com
    Email: corey@ravio.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just thought of another one...

Remember in hackers when Acid Burn was talking to Crash Override for the first time in OTV (something like that)? Did you notice that everytime he typed something to her, her response was up a half second after he sent it? How in the heck did she read it never the less type a response that quick? Ugh. Little things like that ruin it. Would it be so hard, to wait a few seconds? Geez. lol
    ravio.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by bman
    I am pretty sure she does say "This is a UNIX system, i know this." or something similar.. got nothing better to do tonight, maybe i will watch it and find out.
    She says UNIX 4 sure (like all the other 13 year old girls that play with UNIX systems inbetween homework and episodes of Friends...)

There are some other blaring errors in that film - check the bit when the robotic arm is handling the Dino-eggs...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah, if you wanna read about errors in any film just go the IMDB.com, and search for a movie, then click the "goofs" link.. ussually pretty interesting, the trivia link is ussually cool to read too..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I prefer to spot them 4real!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Checkout http://www.movie-mistakes.com for more of the same -- though I have to warn you: they don't seem to be using a database! Not usually a big deal, but the nature of the site simply cries out for it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah spotting them for real is fun too..
    watch "Twister" sometime, there alot in there, and they are pretty easy to spot... There are so many places where their truck gets damaged and in the next scene all the damage is fixed...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol Bman! THe biggest one is during the end tornado. The windshield is completely smashed on the passenger side. lol! The thing I didnt get was they added in the sound effects for it breaking! Then the next shot, and for the rest of the movie, its in tact. And, the scene where they drive through the house...its on its side, but while theyre inside everything is right side up. (For instance, they go up the stairs, but the stairs should be from left to right, not up and down)

Funny stuff.
    ravio.com