SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Links and Rank from Google dropping daily

What would cause a website to just suddenly start dropping further and further down in search results? Also, pages keep dropping out as well. This started around the middle of February and continues to this day. We've lost probably a third of our traffic and links from Google in a 3 month timeframe and we didn't change anything on the site. If anything, we've tried to improve things by adding advertising and adding more links from external sources. Did some sort of shakeup happen at Google in the last couple months? Our Pagerank is holding steady at 6, but traffic continues to decline. What can we do, if anything?
    Last edited by PWizard; May 8, 2005 at 18:29.

SitePoint Enthusiast michelangelo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does Google still report your site as having as many backlinks as it did 3 months ago?

Application Developer shabbirbhimani's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    probably you are not having great content. Can you give the url.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, we have fewer backlinks reported as well, even though we've added a ton... it's like they're just ignoring them for some reason. I feel like Google is out to get us or something.

As far as content goes, we haven't changed the way we do things in over a year.. we still update with fresh content multiple times a week. I don't know what is going on, but I hope that things go back to normal soon.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Id like to know the answer to this as well...

We have one site that this senario is exactly happening.

SitePoint Evangelist downloads_be's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have the same problem. Our traffic atm is only 1/3 of 2 months ago. It's still dropping every day but at a much slower rate at the moment.
    We have over 1000 pages of good content, we update daily. The site is optimized but not over optimized. Our backlinks grow frequently and yet we still lose pages and traffic ....
    I don't get it ....