SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Should I wait for XP?? Also flat monitor question

Hey Everyone,

I'm going to be getting a new computer soon. I really should have it this summer but I want to wait for windows XP so what should I do? When is Windows XP actualling going to be bondled with new PCs?

Also all my programs like ICQ, DreamWaever , FireWorks 4 etc. work under Windows 98,2000 but not XP will I be having to buy all new programs?

The other thing I want to get with my new computer is a flat screen monitor. Are there any good ones out there now that have good clearity as well??

That's about it... oh and the computer I'm thinking about buying is a Dell Dimension 8100 1.7ghz and Dual-channel RDRAM memory 1GB for multitasking different applications what is everyone's thoughts?

Thanks!

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have a copy of Windows 2000, you might as well buy your computer now. Windows XP doesn't offer many reasons for Windows 2000 users to upgrade IMO. If you aren't in a hurry, you should wait, though - might as well get a brand-new OS instead of an OS that has been around for a while.

Dreamweaver, ICQ, etc will work in XP. If it runs in Windows 2000, it will run in Windows XP. In fact, XP offers additional support for programs that would not run in Windows 2000. I believe it runs nearly as many programs as Windows 98 does.

About the monitor question...I don't think LCD screens are worth their price yet. They will be in the future, but not yet. Unless you are planning on spending a lot of money, a CRT monitor will deliver more for your money. I would only buy an LCD monitor if I was pressed on room - you can get a much larger monitor that is more sharper and can run many resolutions for the same price as an LCD screen.

1GB is a lot for even advanced multitasking. RDRAM is rather expensive compared to RDRAM...perhaps you should settle for 512 MB? What will this computer be used for? If it is just web design, you'd be thowing your money down the drain with a GB of RAM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Stay with Win2k, I have had a look at the public preview and all it really is win2k with "Skins".

I can't see the point in upgrading to XP or Office XP as most of my clients still run Office 97 and I don't think OXP is backward compatible with 97 (Please correct me if I'm wrong)
    .NET Code Monkey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Big al, OXP is fully compatable back to Word 6 (you just turn off everything that isnt compatable) and it will save as back to word 2.

I have had a mess with Win XP as well and I have to say I quite like it. Desktop sharing is going to be a massive help to me although in general it is W2K with make-up, everything just feels that bit 'tighter' and remember this is still RC1.

There is also support for online file sharing (expanded even further in conjunction with OXP), full system rollback - whatever you do to your installation you can rollback to a 'snapshot' and it works!

One thing I have not been able to find out is how much MS paid the PKZIP chaps - file zipping is totaly integrated into the OS it just shows as a folder. Must have been big bucks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Should I wait for XP?? Also flat monitor question

Originally posted by luchazard
    The other thing I want to get with my new computer is a flat screen monitor. Are there any good ones out there now that have good clearity as well??

That's about it... oh and the computer I'm thinking about buying is a Dell Dimension 8100 1.7ghz and Dual-channel RDRAM memory 1GB for multitasking different applications what is everyone's thoughts?
    How ironic, I was in the same boat as you just a few days ago. Check out my thread in this forum that compares LCD vs. CRT.

I bought a Dell Dimension 8100 1.3 Ghz PIV with 256 RDRAM yesterday with a 19" Trinitron Flat monitor (CRT). I will let you and everyone know how it is. Still waiting.

I found the CRT monitors more favorable for a variety of reasons. One, they are larger and thus better for gaming. Two, they are cheaper and you get more screen room. Three, you don't have the added risk of getting dead pixels on your monitor that you do with LCD Flat Screens. And finally, it gives you more flexibility to go with a more variety of resolutions.

I think the Dell Dimension 8100 with Win2K will give me the option to play intense, demanding games, yet also multitask and do business work. I'm hoping this is true.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sowen,

I wasn't really concerned about Word, more concerned about Access, I do alot of VBA database programming, O2K works alright going down to office97 but anything below that, FORGET IT!
    .NET Code Monkey

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by sowen
    One thing I have not been able to find out is how much MS paid the PKZIP chaps - file zipping is totaly integrated into the OS it just shows as a folder. Must have been big bucks
    Wasn't this supported in Windows Me as well? And even Windows 98 with Plus installed...

I like the feature, but it is another example of Microsoft trying to get people out of business (intentionally or not). The guys at WinZip probably aren't happy about this.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Planned Obsolescence

Microsoft is now giving us 'value added' products in the guise of planned obsolescence. Win2k is a pretty solid
    efficent OS (for windows anyway) The further tweeking that is comming out, ME, XP are more to make you
    think you need the next 'point X' version of what ever dogfood they're sevrving up. Consider your statement,
    "....have to buy new software" Last time I checked if you throwin Photoshop, DW, Fireworks, whatever you'll
    have added a princely sum to your new machine. Since these programs are already optimized to work with
    Win2k you only have tne nxt version of Frustration.#$%^@ by moving when the 'man' tells you to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Should I wait for XP?? Also flat monitor question

Originally posted by luchazard
    Hey Everyone,

Thanks!
    luchazard, take a look at this thread in regards to your monitor query, it may help you out.. http://www.sitepointforums.com/showt...threadid=26000

As for Pentium 4's.... well lets just say I much prefer Athlons
    http://www.avgallery.com.au/ - Your ticket to high-end audio!