SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to charge for advertising?

I own a small site, www.cafegamer.net (which I hope to grow; we're set up to double our traffic this month), and I'm trying to figure out what is reasonable for advertising. I get about 2,500 unique hits a month, and I just want to be able to cover hosting costs. So, right now, I was thinking of charging around $60/month per banner rotated among three (you can see where the ads will go if you visit my site.)

I get a lot of international traffic, so Adsense did little for me, which brings me to my second problem. Where do I find advertisers? Do I post around on message boards? Do I contact big companies? Will they just ignore me?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Think thats a little bit too much m8, I get 10k a day unique and only charge 100 - 150 dollars a month for site wide banner on a adult link tgp.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I went back to the person who gave me the info on how to calculate advertising prices, and I realize that these are way too high.

Do you think that $20/month would be ok?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    for 2500 uniques in a month i think you'd have a hard time even getting that. Especially since there are plenty of gaming sites out there (trust me :-D). I charge a CPM rate for my gaming site and with your hits it wouldn't equal $20. Maybe try to get into one of the ad networks first. Maybe if you went to $15/mo. you could find someone who wants to advertise on a gaming site such as yours.
    Oz
    GamersMark - On Target Gaming
    OzTheory - Programming and Web Solutions
    AmIBlocked - Check if you've been blocked on IM

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you have a very well-built site. I see a lot of potential there. Just a question though, have you ever thought of using ads like adsense until you get new advertisers?

I think that it could be enough to pay your hosting fees, and then you can look forward into further monetizing your site.
    UploadPro.org - Version 2 launched.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jing
    I think you have a very well-built site. I see a lot of potential there. Just a question though, have you ever thought of using ads like adsense until you get new advertisers?

I think that it could be enough to pay your hosting fees, and then you can look forward into further monetizing your site.
    Please read my original post.

I get a lot of international traffic, so Adsense did little for me, which brings me to my second problem. Where do I find advertisers? Do I post around on message boards? Do I contact big companies? Will they just ignore me?

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Identify three places you would like to advertise on your site
    Make banners for them
    Put them up
    Track the clicks
    Use Overture and Adwords to get an idea of how much a click is worth
    After a period of time, when you have an idea of how much these banners are actually worth, contact the three companies about advertising. If all three say no, move on to the next compaies on your list (but keep the ads up, still tracking how they do).

Selling space is not something you can do sensibly out of the blue. Get some data and you won't have some of the questions you have now. Also, any sensible business will pay you a fair rate if they see you have actually delivered them value. (If you want, tell the three businesses that you are giving them free advertising so they can track it from their side if they want.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, I posted up some google ads...but I doubt much is going to happen. I've tried google ads before and they suck.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I apologize for skimming through your first post. It was late at night and I wasn't focused in reading.

If you set your mindset to that, that's what you are going to get out of Adsense. I have a lot of international traffic on my site too, and Adsense is working like a wonder for me. Best thing is to read around on tips of how to improve your adsense's CTR. It's not just about throwing some ads on and pray that somebody will click ya know.

Anyway, $20 ok or not is really subjective depending on the advertisers. Best bet is to try $20... if it doesn't work out, try $15 and so on and so forth. Or you could work the other way around, from low to high. Experiment a little. Doesn't hurt.

As for where to find, try the boards first. Or you can put an ad on your site advertising about the advertising opportunities available on your site.
    UploadPro.org - Version 2 launched.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get rid of the Google ads. They are counterproductive to what you want to find out. Put up your own ads and see what happens.

Your job is to create a site that structural and contextually lends itself to visitors clicking on your advertisers. Google has no clue what your site looks like. You need to structure ad positions that you think will work best... and then experiment to see if you are right, or if there are better positioning options possible.