SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Refresh every so often

I have a main page and a pop-up window. Clicking on a link in the main page pops up the other window, where the person can make changes.

Once they're done making the changes, I want the main page to show it immediately, so that they don't get confused...

A simple solution, I thought, was to refresh the main page every minutes or so (whenever it's loaded).

Anyone know how to do this in ASP? Or know of a better solution?

Thanks folks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that there are several ways to do this. Since I'm not sure exactly what you're doing, I'm not sure what would work best.

1. Meta refresh tag. Putting one of these in the head of your code will let you set the refresh rate as well as the URL you want your file to refresh to:

<meta http-equiv="refresh" content="0;url=default.asp" />

the number is where you set the time, I believe in minutes, the url part is straightforward. You can have your file refresh to itself, but this can get annoying. I am unsure of browser support issues.

2. javascript. you could attatch an event handler to the actions in your popup window:

onclick="parent.location.reload();" ...or something like this

3. for an asp solution, read up on these:
    response.expires = time (this is the time in minutes before your page expires. )

Response.Expiresabsolute (lets you specify a specific date time for things to expire)

Response.AddHeader "pragma", "no-cache" (tells proxy servers not to cache your file)

Response.CacheControl

-Makeda