SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Useless Affliate - But Good Looking Webdesign

On the back of a recent discussion about Google Adsense & other affliate advertising, I thought I'd ask the following question:

"Would you consider leaving a not very productive affliate advertising ad on your webpage/website because in the overall webpage design - it actually looked quite good?"

The reason I ask this is this. I use Amazon affliate advertising , along with Google Adsense - which is the main money spinner. Although I'm getting plenty of clicks on the Amazon ads - nobody is actually buying anything yet. However, the ads do compliment the page layout, and add to the content of the page.

So, would you leave the ads in, even if they weren't primarily producing revenue, (the Google Adsense is),but they were being useful as being content & complimenting the design of the webpage?

SitePoint Guru scotlandforvisit's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funny you should ask this. I haven't had a single amazon sale in over two years. However, like you they help the look of the page (especially with their "free images" of book covers. I obviously have left them on page
    The newest sites in the online empire!Scotlands Culture
    Baby Names

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exactly my point scotlandforvisit.

Can the value of an affliate advert be that it just creates content and makes for a good web design as well?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends a lot on your site - it probably wouldn't make that much of a difference on a relatively low traffic page, but if you have a fairly large site, it's best to cut out unproductive ads, and optimize your advertising inventory in any way possible.
    -- Jeremy Maddock
    SEOMix.com - Search Engine Optimization Tips
    My Blog - Business, tech, and politics from a webmaster's perspective

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Jeremy

Yes, I suppose I would class my "extensive two webpages" as having "relatively low traffic", so in this instance it may not be a major issue.

As I'm relatively new to all this e-commerce activity, one of the interesting points that I've come across is this: like my webpages which just provide an informational service, and don't actually produce a product, I've found it difficult to link into an affliate advertising campaign that sells related product to the information that I am providing. I.e. unless anyone knows of affliate advertising that can be targeted for "info only" websites, I seem to be in a situation where "any affliate we do", because one will be as good as another in terms of producing revenue in comparison with the revenue produced from the Google Adsense.

So, I've kept the Amazon ads on there for the reasons mentioned in the earlier post - and not because they produce revenue - unless there is a "cleverer" way to use affliates for "info only" wesbites?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Okay - enough was enough - I got rid of the Amazon ads at Lasik Laser Eye Surgery as they weren't doing diddly squat, and replaced with internal informericals.

What does anyone think of them?

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sometimes... its best to put yourself in the shoes of a visitor.

For example if i needed lasik eye surgery.... i doubt i would find any useful information at amazon.com..... This is basic... common sense info.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Thanks S2K...

Initially, I had the pages SEO'ed for "eye care products" as well - but this was probably more concerned with me giving myself a reason to have Amazon Ads on there as another form of revenue as well as Google Adsense.

I think I will stick to the "what the visitor sees" principal from now on.

So, were the informercials any good? Did they get you to click to another page?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm selling about 100-200 items a month with Amazon, but the affiliate rates are so low I barely clear $200/month, which is pitiful. I'm considering getting rid of Amazon completely and sending all customers to another partner, but I keep it there to give my visitors some measure of choice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the infomercials fit into your site quite well. They seem more like extra content than ads, which makes it more likely that they'll be read. You should try using them to promote a variety of targeted CPA affiliate link, and keep a detailed record of your results. Proper tracking and testing is the only way to tell for sure whether or not they will produce good click-through and conversion rates.

Good luck!
    -- Jeremy Maddock
    SEOMix.com - Search Engine Optimization Tips
    My Blog - Business, tech, and politics from a webmaster's perspective

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Jack & Wealthstream - thanks very much for your replies.

For the time being I shall probably keep with the Google Adsense only. I still have a bit of tweaking to do with the navigation on the left hand side - maybe a conversion to sexy looking CCS

Thanks again for your input, and if anyone else has any comments on the infomercials, or anything else - please fire away!