SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FastClick Concerns

I usually don't post these kind of threads on forums, but I wanted to give other FastClick users a heads-up to see if this is happening on your site. I reported this problem to FastClick April 26, and it took a week for me to get the first response from them, and I still haven't gotten a response that I'm satisfied with. Maybe others of you know what's going on...

Here's the problem, and how I described it to them...

I'm having trouble with some pop-unders showing on my site from fastclick that I do not have selected in the campaign section. In fact, I am very picky and I only have a handful selected. For the past several weeks, I kept seeing a popunder showing the butts of girls in bikinis. I could not figure out where it was coming from because I would come to fastclick and could not find this ad... Finally I confirmed that fastclick was associated with this popunder by hitting the back button. It reloaded another ad... I kept doing this and found a whole selection of ads that I don't have selected under campaigns. How can this be? Am I even being paid for these ads?

When I click "back" the link that loads the ads is:
    media66.fastclick.net/safepop.cgi?mid=59963&sid=mysiteid&id=1002

It shows ads for hydroderm, coolphone4free.com, cheaptickets, blockbuster online, and possibly others.

The url in the window is http://z1.adserver.com/...
    (EDIT: When I check the complete link now, it still loads all of the above campaigns.)

What's going on? Out of all the popunders I saw, I would only allow Blockbuster Online and Cheap Tickets on my site. I definitely don't need the butts in bikinis showing up in my visitors' classrooms, considering they are teachers.

Please let me know what can be done to fix this.
    I stopped seeing these ads after I sent this message. A week later, I sent the message again, and got this response from FastClick:

It is possible that this particular ad displayed due to a temporary bug in our system that caused the auto-select feature to not work. This has since been resolved and you should no longer have this ad in your rotation. If you do see this issue or anything else come up again,
    please let us know immediately and also please try to right-click the ad
    and copy/paste the properties of the ad into the e-mail.
    So, I asked again,
    These ads never showed up on any of my reports or in my campaign selection window. Was I paid for these ads?
    FastClick Response:
    If they never actually displayed live in your account the impressions would not have counted towards your earnings.
    My response:
    I should be paid for ads that are delivered. This is very suspicious, especially since your response to this problem was so delayed. This rotation of ads was showing on my site for quite some time -- apparently for free. I did not select them, and did not have the ability to deselect them. Considering that these ads were not counted because of an error on your part, I would expect a more fair resolution to this.
    FastClick Response:
    There seems to be a bit of confusion. You first stated that you saw the ads appear several times. You then stated that they were not ever in your rotation. If an ad was never on your campaign list there would be no way to report earnings from it. What likely happened is that the ad in question was rotated into an existing campaign that you had selected (due to the aforementioned bug) and ran for a little while before being corrected, if this was the case you would have still earned revenue from that campaign however that creative should now be gone so you would have no way to know which campaign it was rotated in on, but if impressions were served on your site, you received credit for them and we apologize if they were for a creative that you did not approve of; the error has since been corrected.
    This was yesterday, and in immediate response to my previous message. I replied right away:
    Yes, there is a bit of confusion. I did see the ads appear several times, and the actual period of time they were showing is unknown. It was several weeks before I was sure where these were coming from, and that I did not have them selected anywhere. They were not in my campaign lists, but I still saw them rotating on the site. That's the very reason this is so troubling, and the very reason I contacted FastClick. ***The ads were showing on my site, but they were not on my campaign list or reports, so I wondered if I was even being paid for them.*** This is what I have stated from the beginning.

I had very few campaigns selected at the time, and even went through and viewed each creative under the campaigns I had selected when I was trying to figure out what was going on. I am very picky. I does not make sense that the ads somehow slipped into another campaign, when I can access all of them from a single link: http://z1.adserver.com...

Maybe you can explain further. The campaigns rotating in the window were Cheap Tickets, Hydroderm, Cool Phone 4 Free, Blockbuster Online. You can still see them via that link and refresh to see all the ads in the rotation. These are all the same ads that I saw when I was finally able to determine the source of the problem. I'm sure you can tell from this link exactly where the ads were coming from.

The other URL I mentioned, media66.fastclick.net/safepop.cgi?mid=59963&sid=mysiteid&id=1002 no longer connects to anything.
    I have not heard anything else from them. I do not even use the auto-select feature, which they said there was a bug with.

Don't you think this sounds fishy? Has anyone else encountered a problem like this? I suspect most wouldn't even notice... The only reason I did was because I had so few campaigns selected at the time, and that the bikini butts weren't exactly appropriate for a classroom setting. I checked for that ad at least 5 times - I even assumed it was coming from another site since I had checked so many times. I had checked the source code and couldn't find the origin as "fastclick" until I checked the back button. At that point, I discovered the other ads in the same rotation that had been showing. I had seen those before, but had not even noticed them since they were appropriate for my site.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just got a reply, but I'm still getting the run around.

I find this hard to believe - they asked if the ad could have come from somewhere else, even when it originated on their server. I gave them the direct link to the ads that were running on my site, but not available in my campaign list, and they are coming from z1.adserver.com - FastClick owns adserver.com.

They also reminded me that since I have auto-select off, campaigns won't be added if I don't approve them. REALLY? That was the problem in the first place. I've NEVER had auto-select on, yet ads were showing on my site that I did not approve. And not only that, they were never on my campaign list.

The reason they weren't on my campaign list according to fastclick - because they must have been optimized and removed without me noticing. Problem is, I never added them in the first place. Also, the time I was seeing these ads was over at least a 3-4 week period. Even if I did accidentally select an ad I didn't want, this makes no sense.

All I can say is BEWARE...

I've been using FastClick for popunders since April 2001 - I'm not sure I'll continue... I'm not sure I trust them since I can't get an adequate response to this serious issue.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like my experience with Fastclick from the day they spammed me about joining, gave me the runaround for two months about getting my account created even though they invited me, ran nothing but garbage ads for a month, then terminated my account for "underperformance". I was never impressed with them.

Oops I forgot - then being way late in paying me for the month I ran the ads because my Paypal info mysteriously disappeared from my account, which they never informed me of and which I would have never know about since they locked me out of my account without notice. Very impressive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I havent had any problems with them yet, hopefully i woont have any like those but all i run are banners, no pops

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wasn't aware of any problems until now - It is just by chance that I discovered this campaign running that never showed up in my campaign list or reports. They could have been screwing me all along... who knows... I get a new excuse for why this happened each time they respond to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only have FC running on one site and I am off and on it alot during the day and I deny more banners than i allow on this site, i have never noticed any ad not in the list, not to say it hasnt happened but i havent seen it yet unfortunately i dont think you will get much more from them than you have

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    UPDATE - I discovered this same ad rotation was running on my other site, and was not being reported in my campaigns listing either!! If you use FastClick and see the ads, check out the links below and see if these ads are being run on YOUR site without being reported. Also, if you are aware of a legitimate excuse for these ads being shown, I'm interested in knowing. I want to give FastClick the benefit of the doubt, but I've yet to hear a legitimate reason why this is happening.

This is even more suspicious now because the source url and codes of the pop-unders are now more disguised than when I first reported them. Before, the pop-under revealed the browser buttons and location bar, and you could view the source. Now, the pop-under window has no buttons, and you can view limited information about the ad. You cannot view the source.

Since they removed the buttons, I couldn't refresh the ad, and I have only witnessed two of the ads showing on my site. One is for Hydroderm and the other is for CoolPhone4Free.com. Click on the image sources to see what the offending ads look like.

HYDRODERM - This one shows the butts of 3 women in bikinis and advertises "Say Goodbye to Cellulite with Body Shape"

The Source URL is hidden and unknown, although it appears to be the same as the next ad.

Image source showing in the pop-under: http://imp.partner2profit.com/bt/ads...id=21495&rand=[RAND]
    This redirects to: http://images2.laih.com/creatives/bo...720x300_62.jpg
    You should be able to see the image by clicking on one of those links.

click through: http://z1.adserver.com/w/cp.x;rid=1;...;ac=14;mid=492
    redirects to: http://bodyshape.hydroderm.com/bodyshape/index.cfm

COOLPHONE4FREE

Source URL: (not hidden yet)
    http://z1.adserver.com/w/cp.x;rid=1;tid=2;ev=1;dt=3;ac=14;c=98;
    This URL will load the entire rotation of ads in question. Hit refresh to see them.

Image source: http://cdn.fastclick.net/adserver.com/10002/fc/mid408/Razr2.gif

Click through: http://z1.adserver.com/w/cp.x;rid=1;tid=2;ev=2;ac=14;mid=408
    redirects to www.2coolphone4free.com....

I saw these pop-unders clearly loading from a media.fastclick... address, so they POSITIVELY came from FastClick. I only have 9 pop-under campaigns selected at FastClick so it's easy to see that these ads are not selected.

I did get some more replies back from FastClick about the prior problem, but nothing that made sense. He claimed since he couldn't see it happening on my site, he couldn't help. This is because someone else at FC had already stopped the ad from running on the site in question. I didn't even realize this same stupid ad rotation was running on my other site. Now that he can see it himself, we'll see if we get better excuses.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It turns out that this is a bug, according to FastClick.

It happens when a user has cookies blocked for fastclick.net and/or fastclick.com. If either of these cookies are blocked, FastClick's code, for some reason, will display one of these unpaid/unapproved ads via z1.adserver.com (a fastclick domain).

I'm not sure why this happens, but I think the good news is that the majority of people who have fastclick cookies blocked will also have a pop-up blocker and won't see the unpaid/unapproved ads.

It looks like they may have fixed this problem now. I have not had much time to follow up on it to be sure.