SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is Netscape hurting the Mozilla project by not rolling their work into that code base

I was reading the wininfo story about Netscape 6.1 and it mentioned a plethora of new features for the browser (that do much to bridge the gap between it and IE). However, I've downloaded Mozilla 0.91 and didn't notice any of these features (such as drop-down autocomplete). I'm lead to the conclusion that Netscape views Mozilla as competition and they're trying to haev exclusive features in Netscape6. In this since, it appears that they are competing against themselves and don't truly belive in the advantages of open source development. Is this apt or did I merely miss these features in Mozilla - are all Netscape6.1PR1 features available in Mozilla?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heya,

not answering your question, rather asking another one:

I heard Netscape it's calling it quits (thank god!), but before I celebrate too early, is this true??

Greetz.
    That's all folks...

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tyhe, this was discussed about a week ago here. Netscape is getting away from the browser business. I don't think that's a good thing, but this isn't the thread to discuss that.

That is strange that Netscape is basically competing with itself. It would be nice if it could somehow work together with the Mozilla project.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Consider this if you will:
    Mozilla is an open-sourced project working for Internet standards compliant browsers (for the most part). Netscape is a well known browser since it carries the base name Netscape. They aren't trying to alienate Mozilla nor do they view it as competition (it is the core of their Netscape 6 product). The reason for their actions is to cater to the users of the software. Mozilla is primarily used by web enthusiasts and site builders, etc,; basically the Internet savvy. On the other hand, Netscape caters more to the newbies, i.e. people who have the Internet for the sake of having it (e-mail and such), who don't much care about compliancy so much as user friendly features. That's why Netscape puts extra features in it's software -- to make it easy for the novice.

Mozilla = functionality.
    Netscape = user experience.
    Colin Anderson
    Ambition is a poor excuse for those without
    sense enough to be lazy.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd consider myself a rather advanced web users since I build web pages and I find Internet Explorer's drop-down autocomplete feature very usefull. I hope that a lot of the proprietary Netscape6.1 features are introduced into Mozilla project.

I use Mozilla-derived browsers such as kmeleon that rely on Mozilla for their UI features. If the features aren't included in Mozilla, the whole community looses.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Jeremy W.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to agree with Aes here.

Mozilla is open source (unpaid) and thus Netscape (or any other company) is free to take that and use it. The reality that mozilla is essentially FOR netscape is a sidenote entirely. Thus, netscape can use all the mozilla code it wants but since the "fluff" is by paid developers (many of whom actually work on the mozilla project anyways) it can't be done the other way around as AOL owns that new codeset.

Next, netscape isn't getting out of the browser business. They are shifting their focus. So, browsers will always be part of the netscape plethora of products they just won't be the spearhead for good reason.
    SVP Marketing, SoCast SRM
    Personal blog: Strategerize
    Twitter: @jeremywright

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm...I don't bother about Netscape. Heck..
    If I use Mozilla, not netscape 6.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."
    -- Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WoW studiococo. I have to commend you -- you stated it flawlessly. =)
    Colin Anderson
    sense enough to be lazy.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shall we hug?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well -- in the interest of valuable posting space -- or lack thereof, I'll make this short.

::hugs::
    Colin Anderson
    sense enough to be lazy.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isn't the GPL a much better liscence for an open-source project because it would mandate that Netscape release the source for their Netscape6 product rather than having a lot of excellent development talent go to waste?

People have long criticized Mozilla's slow development. No wonder if Netscape has people working on a different code base.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GPL != profitability

Do you have a browser? Yes? So, it's not "wasted" talent.

Not different codebase. Same structure and code, just lots of "extras" thrown in to make it appealing which the mozilla project doesn't have time for.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suppsoe you're right (even though I'd argue that nobody earns money from browsers anyway)

I can't use Netscape because smart download doesn't work for me (is it possible to download 6.1 without "smart" download?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure -- you can download NS6.1 without Smart Download. It's just one large executable. Try this -- it'll take you to the page where you can download the whole file:
    http://home.netscape.com/download/fu...ml?cp=dowinfo1
    Happy coding!
    Last edited by Aes; Jun 18, 2001 at 15:42.
    Colin Anderson
    sense enough to be lazy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just so you know, the link I posted above works if you click on it -- but not if you copy and paste it. The reason is beyond me -- but how it displays it above, theres an "f...tml" or something insead of "full(underscore)install.html". Just so you know!
    Good luck!
    Colin Anderson
    sense enough to be lazy.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the link and wow (!) they have fast servers - I'm downloading at 500 KB/sec - some of the fastest downloading I've ever done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by prowsej
    I suppsoe you're right (even though I'd argue that nobody earns money from browsers anyway)
    they do no earn money directly from browsers.
    hmm..yep. thought i read netscape upgraded their smartdownload to allow support from more operating systems?
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."
    -- Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope, not directly from browsers but they do from adding products into their browsers (flash player) and by pointing to netscape.com or msn.com or whatnot. The more "features" that are integrated in that allow users to be pushed to the information they "want" (even though they don't know they want it) the more moeny the browser company makes. Let me tell you, netscape.com's 50 million monthly visitors are worth a decent few dollars in advertising

I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaack! Fluffykins's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Aes
    The reason is beyond me -- but how it displays it above, theres an "f...tml" or something insead of "full(underscore)install.html". Just so you know!
    Good luck!
    It's a vBulletin thing, it automatically abbreviates long URLs so they can still be clicked on but don't 'crowd' the posting area, if you know what I mean Right clicking and choosing Copy Shortcut should still work ok.

Ady
    v-technologies - Freelance Goodness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the information Fluffykins. I knew you could still right click and choose copy shortcut -- but that's a lot of work! =) Anyway, I'll take that (long url compression) into account next time. Thanks.
    Colin Anderson
    sense enough to be lazy.