SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok Daddy. Posting an auction on Ebay costs about a $1.

I think monthly fee or threat fee in a range of 1.99-3.99 is acceptable but $9.99 a threat is wayy too much.

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalWebHost
    As been stated, you can list those 8-9 sites in 1 thread...so it would be a measely $1 per site you'd be paying.

I have to step up and agree with DC on this one.

Reading thru all the posts here, I get the impression that a lot of you think SPF is ome kiddie run site for your enjoyment. How many of you have made a good deal of money selling crappy Prozilla and DotComBuilder sites by the dozens here? Lots. Personally, I saw this coming a long time ago. I tried to forestall it by getting them to reinstate the 25 Post rule, but good arguements were raised as to why that would not really effectively curb the scammers.

As for all the completely clueless posts from kiddies who have NO clue what it takes in terms of money and time to run a business like SPF (and YES SITEPOINT FORUMS IS A BUSINESS NOT A HOBBY!) just make me chuckle.

Someone mentioned the money that SP makes from books, etc. How many of you actually have bought a book from SP versus how many of you have maded hundreds, if not thousands dumping crappy websites on the market?

You'll also notice a distinct lack of banner ads and popups on SPF? That's another plus for you and minus for them in terms of revenue.

$9.95....while that seems high, have you ever called your local paper to find out the cost of a single want ad?

What I see is a lot of kids who think that doing business on the web entails no overhead cost. Life does not work like that...nor does the real business world. You don't have to worry about payroll, server costs, office space, etc...SPF does.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let' me clarfiy this up please...

So your going to have to pay $10 for each thread you start in the 'sell your website' section.

Well then, what's stoping people from paying the fee for the ONE thread, but instead of buying anew thread, why don't they just carry on using the old one, and keep on listing your sales there? would this be aloud?

Forum Buyer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by krustie
    Let' me clarfiy this up please...

So your going to have to pay $10 for each thread you start in the 'sell your website' section.

Well then, what's stoping people from paying the fee for the ONE thread, but instead of buying anew thread, why don't they just carry on using the old one, and keep on listing your sales there? would this be aloud?
    Of course peter will close the thread when it's sold. Who do you think runs this site? 5th graders?
    Founder/Admin of a pretty decent chat forum
    Download free winterboard themes for your iPhone
    I run sites powered by vbulletin and one about the HTC Jetstream.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do you klnow which traffic is "quality traffic" ? So you're saying that visitors to this forum ate not "quality traffic"?

High end ones that could handle the load are. We aren't talking $79 Rackshack Celeron's here. Bandwidth is more of the cost though more then servers.

As for reducing traffic...what good is traffic if it's all worthless traffic. People misunderstand that there is quality traffic...traffic that has high conversion rate (ie money in the pocket) vs high traffic with low conversion rate...

I think SPF would rather have less traffic but higher conversions. You can get 10,000 visitors a day...looks GREAT but if only 2-3 are buying something...you're losing money..not so great.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sorry but at $10 a post I'm out. $3650 a year at one post a day? Sorry monthly fee is fine, but per post is going to kill traffic. Love the site, nice traffic, gladly pay something, like paid memberships, but $3650 a year? Absolutely no way. It will cut down on mods work load, and there will surely be great posts, but traffic and posts are going to plumment. Guess consider this my swan song.....

SitePoint Evangelist CapitalWebHost's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo1977
    Ok Daddy. Posting an auction on Ebay costs about a $1.

I think monthly fee or threat fee in a range of 1.99-3.99 is acceptable but $9.99 a threat is wayy too much.

And just how much CRAP on ebay is there? Can you comment and discuss the site for sale? How many people get ripped off DAILY on Ebay? Apples and Oranges.....and no need to personally insult me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, mods, please know that someone is spamming PM's for ...it's someone here who's too chicken to use their real account.

In light of the recent news to charge us per post to list our web sites for sale, some of us have started a personal crusade to move the community to a place that is free. Free listings and traffic is what will make or break a site of this type. They know they have the traffic, but now they are taking the most important part out of the equation, the fact that is was free. They are just using us to make mad money. Sure they can have ads on the page, but to actually charge per post and think that we will bite? They are being ridiculous. So, a few of us have selected a very good site that belongs to a member of Site Point that is just plain inactive. It has all the features we need to run an established web site for sale community. Members can search listings with an advanced search tool, they will get alerts via email, members can bid, leave comments, and it has a template method for collecting information. It really is a great site. So please help us make it great. Please visit

Help Us Spread The Word, Copy This Message And Send It To A friend.
    <admin edit - promotional links removed>

Forum Buyer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nexmax
    I'm sorry but at $10 a post I'm out. $3650 a year at one post a day? Sorry monthly fee is fine, but per post is going to kill traffic. Love the site, nice traffic, gladly pay something, like paid memberships, but $3650 a year? Absolutely no way. It will cut down on mods work load, and there will surely be great posts, but traffic and posts are going to plumment. Guess consider this my swan song.....
    @ dramatic exit

Threads vs Posts is what you seem to be confused on.

Forum Buyer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, mods, please know that someone is spamming PM's for ...it's someone here who's too chicken to use their real account.
    Dude.. I was gonna post that lol.

Hey take out the link man!!!! dont advertise it!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This doesn't make sense at all!!!
    Sorry, I meant other parts of SPF.

But then I can see why it wouldn't make sense to you even now.

It's obvious that some folks came here specifically because of the free listing available here. This place isn't a sell your site forum that happens to have other sections.

I think the SPF staff realizes that the Sell Your Site section has become something it wasn't intended to be (I think). Wasn't it originally supposed to be for the member with the occasional site that they wanted to sell? It sure has turned into something different...*cough* [turnkey] *cough*.

If it were my site I would be worried that the whole selling your site thing that has developed would degrade the image of the whole site.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You called us Kids so I called you Daddy. Nothing personal

And just how much CRAP on ebay is there? Can you comment and discuss the site for sale? How many people get ripped off DAILY on Ebay? Apples and Oranges.....and no need to personally insult me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To carry on from what i said...

Would it be hard to just 'edit' your orginal post? and people could never mention if/when the site's sold :/

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just got an pm over here from this guy websites, if you want screenys can avail those too.Peter can you do something about it?
    This is his quoted message:

In light of the recent news to charge us per post to list our web sites for sale, some of us have started a personal crusade to move the community to a place that is free. Free listings and traffic is what will make or break a site of this type. They know they have the traffic, but now they are taking the most important part out of the equation, the fact that is was free. They are just using us to make mad money. Sure they can have ads on the page, but to actually charge per post and think that we will bite? They are being ridiculous. So, a few of us have selected a very good site that belongs to a member of Site Point that is just plain inactive. It has all the features we need to run an established web site for sale community. Members can search listings with an advanced search tool, they will get alerts via email, members can bid, leave comments, and it has a template method for collecting information. It really is a great site. So please help us make it great. Please visit

Help Us Spread The Word, Copy This Message And Send It To A friend.

<admin edit: promotional link removed>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Me too

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeB.
    Dude.. I was gonna post that lol.

Hey take out the link man!!!! dont advertise it!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LeoWebDesign
    I noticed that the only people that are complaining (with a few exceptions) are the people that ONLY post in the SYS section and don't contribute to the community at SPF. It seems to be just a free classifieds site to them.

Most of the people that are contributing to SPF in the other forums don't seem to have a problem with it.
    Do you mean that SYS is not part of the community? and when people posting at SYS is just making ad and not helping the community, if so why sitepoint created it?
    Visit us at lexorsoft.net , if you need SEO related services

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who agrees with me that $9.99 is wayy too much.

I think $3.99 is reasonable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by edpudol
    Do you mean that SYS is not part of the community? and when people posting at SYS is just making ad and not helping the community, if so why sitepoint created it?
    They created it as a Extra for the active contributing members, not to become a leeching ground. SPF's focus is NOT as a classified ads site...that's a side benefit that has been extremely abused.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They created it as a Extra for the active contributing members, not to become a leeching ground. SPF's focus is NOT as a classified ads site...that's a side benefit that has been extremely abused.
    So if the people in sitepoint think that people abuse this EXTRA thread why don't they remove it now to avoid those abusive people.
    Visit us at lexorsoft.net , if you need SEO related services

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL. I agree for those Turnkey sites...

Quote Originally Posted by petertdavis
    In case I haven't been clear, this is how I feel about the prospect of not having the SYS flooded with turnkey posts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I completely agree, $3.95 I would pay at times. it would be often, ads would be better, less turnkeys. People are going to be hijacking threads like mad, the few that are made, and this doesnt stop the real jerks from running around, just starting threads. I strongly prefer membership sites.

Forum Buyer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by petertdavis
    In case I haven't been clear, this is how I feel about the prospect of not having the SYS flooded with turnkey posts.
    LOL glad to see you were secretly behind me when I started that thread that lead to the turnkey tags

People said they would leave then too

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok now here it goes for the ones who are confused or maybe am confused lol.

We have to pay 9.95 $ per month for the sites or is it per thread?

And can any kind of people who do not pay come to buy sites?
    Just clear that out.
    thank you Sir Peter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do you klnow which traffic is "quality traffic" ? So you're saying that visitors to this forum ate not "quality traffic"?
    Obviously not or this would not be necessary. Don't confuse active members with traffic. We are talking about numbers here, not individuals.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think turnkey sites (build from templates and resold 10000000 times) should not be allowed. That should be a rule!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    $9.95 per thread

Quote Originally Posted by wizviv
    Ok now here it goes for the ones who are confused or maybe am confused lol.

We have to pay 9.95 $ per month for the sites or is it per thread?

And can any kind of people who do not pay come to buy sites?
    Just clear that out.
    thank you Sir Peter