User Tag List

Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo1977
    Most of us will simple move to other forums...$9.95 a post is way too much. 9.95/m is acceptable.

As a dedicated server owner I know, server is not that expensive and Sitepoint makes wayyyyy much more money just from advertising. A auction on Ebay costs about $99c !!! Anyway it's not my call, but I don't think this 9.95 fee will work. It will significantly decrease the traffic and clicks on your ads.
    $9.95 is way to much for the people selling non quality sites.

If you are selling quality legitamate money making sites $9.95 is a bargain.
    Cheaper than eBay. Also, DNforum charges a huge membership to join and become platnium..

its good for a while but now its the same.. filled with crap.. I wish they would instill a per listing fee as well..

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy someonewhois's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why is everyone promoting the idea of a %? SP can't take a percentage -- there'd be private bids and bids from other forums etc., it'd be IMPOSSIBLE to keep track of.

Ahh well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would think that any webmaster here can sympathize with the SPF team. Anybody who has run a site for a decent amount of time should understand the situation and try to come to a reasonable solution instead of just threatening to leave and saying "it should be free". That says you are either a newbie or just plain selfish as far as I'm concerned.

For those people that are churning out the turnkeys - Just list your multiple sites in one thread. If you list 5 sites it's $2 per site. This will keep the number of turnkey posts to a reasonable level too.

I think there also should be a "Site Wanted" forum for those looking for a specific site. That way the buyers have a way of letting people know that they are looking and don't have to pay to post. You would have to not allow replies of course to prevent abuse. Replies would have to be by PM only.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy someonewhois's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LeoWebDesign
    I think there also should be a "Site Wanted" forum for those looking for a specific site. That way the buyers have a way of letting people know that they are looking and don't have to pay to post. You would have to not allow replies of course to prevent abuse. Replies would have to be by PM only.
    http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252749

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ha! Great minds think alike. Totally missed that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lindmar

Cheaper than eBay. Also, DNforum charges a huge membership to join and become platnium..

its good for a while but now its the same.. filled with crap.. I wish they would instill a per listing fee as well..
    If you really like this pricing why don't you start a post in the sell your site. I guess since the the time this post started no one start a new thread in the sell your site.
    Visit us at lexorsoft.net , if you need SEO related services

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lets be civilized!

I don't see anybody posting new threats. I wonder why.?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The traffic will be much lower and selling those qulity sites will be much more difficult here. And if the site doesn't sell you'll end up with - $9.95
    As far as DNforum, I don't see much activity there. Sitepoint was the most active forum which will unfortinatly change in the future

Quote Originally Posted by lindmar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There were much more posts here in this forum then DN...
    This will help other forums like namepros to increase their traffic ... oh well ... good luck...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is a one time membership fee not 9.95 a post. This is ridicules. They could've made it 100 or 200 posts rule if that was the purpose of keeping scammers out!!! I think $1.99 - $3.99 a post is reasonable, but $9.99....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Leo1977 one time payment is better than per post. Namepros and webmaster-talk will be the next choices of site sellers and buyers who don't want to pay per thread.
    Visit us at lexorsoft.net , if you need SEO related services

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm... I had a good time here but I guess I will be moving to other forums if I am selling. Probably staying around to buy websites.
    Inspireo Media - Solutions for a brilliant web presence
    Hollywood Fashion Tape from Orinity.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't sell sites here but even from a buyer's standpoint, a lesser variety/quantity of listings will definitely detract the "shopping experience" from buyers as well.

If you want to do a marketplace the right way you should consider implementing an e-lance/auction type of script.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I noticed that the only people that are complaining (with a few exceptions) are the people that ONLY post in the SYS section and don't contribute to the community at SPF. It seems to be just a free classifieds site to them.

Most of the people that are contributing to SPF in the other forums don't seem to have a problem with it.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A $9.95/yr membership fee would be more than sufficient to increase the quality of post, reduce the quanity of post and provide some extra income for hosting, ect...

The $9.95 per post is way to drastic. Please reconsider.

Forum Buyer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sticking around.. (not that anybody cares) but it'll be at the least interesting to see what sites are put up for sale after paying the fee.

I don't think it will stop scams because scam sellers selling worthless sites with high price tags will be even more desperate to sell their site now. But of course, as always, we'll be watching you

I truly hope SYS doesn't die, just kill off the smaller site sales. It's simple, if I want to buy or sell a cheap site I'll look elsewhere, if I'm looking to make a big purchase I'll come here
    Founder/Admin of a pretty decent chat forum
    Download free winterboard themes for your iPhone
    I run sites powered by vbulletin and one about the HTC Jetstream.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with some of your comments. But all sites are trying to get more traffic and your advice is to reduce traffic...??? More traffic means more clicks on more revenue. Dedicated servers are not that expensive too…

Quote Originally Posted by KLB
    Agreed.

As I found when I shifted my site and started forcing people to either pay of a subscription or view my ads, there were some people who yelled and screamed. They predicted my site's doom and said I was foolish or greedy. It's now been 18 months since I implemented my tactics and my site is as healthy as ever with traffic steadily growing at around 60% per year. At the same time, I have been able to starve off hosting upgrades that could have cost me a couple thousand dollars per year.

If I was in SitePoint's position and I was faced with the cost of having to go to multiple servers that were load balanced or reducing traffic, I would choose reducing traffic. While looking at ways to reduce that traffic, I'd look for revenue streams to offset operational costs.

In this case, since the forums probably drive most of SitePoint's hosting demands, the first place I would look to make changes is in the forums. Since the SYS forum generates a disproportionate chunk of SitePoint's traffic and since people are able to directly profit from the SYS forum, it only makes sense to target this forum.

If I were making the decisions, my goal would have been to set the fees high enough to significantly reduce demand for this forum and generate enough income to help offset the expenses of operating the SYS forum.

Personally, I'm hoping that these fees do drive away some of the low end template sites. I have been interested for a long time in acquiring other sites, but have not liked the quality or nature of sites being offered for sale in this forum. I've often wondered how many people who are selling quality sites have past this forum over because of the extremely low prices sites are selling for here.

Since so many users have made such pessimistic predictions of SitePoint's fate over their decision to charge a listing fee, I'm going to make some predictions of my own. As a result of this new fee some sellers of low end template sites will leave and sell their sites elsewhere. This will reduce the costs of operating this forum (salaries and infrastructure). Some sellers will simply post multiple sites they are selling into one thread, thereby reducing the per site expense of selling sites here. This will reduce the amount of noise we see in the "today's topics" listing.

Because the SYS forum will require less administration and monitoring because of fewer threads being created in it, SitePoint staff, mentors and advisors will be able to spend less time with this forum and there by might be able to participate more in other forums. This would not only be more enjoyable for those individuals, but improve the quality of discussions in other forums and maybe improve SitePoint's ability to attract new users who have no interest in the SYS forum rather they came here for the same reasons I did, to discuss issues and learn something.

The reduced noise new users will see in the "today's topics" listings as a result of fewer bottom barrel priced site threads in the SYS forum will improve the appearance of the quality of SitePoint Forums. It won't appear that selling low quality cheap sites is the primary thing that happens here. This will help attract more users who are selling quality sites where a $9.95 fee really doesn't really matter.

I know the $20 per site crowd won't see it this way, but I really think what SitePoint is doing is a very wise idea whose time has come.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so is the decision final or can we expect more flexible pricing for smaller sites?

btw my suggestion would be adding service like escrow.com (which charges 25$ per sale) to make ppl happy. i know coding stuff like that is time consuming, but hey atleast you wouldnt be hated for it..

SitePoint Evangelist CapitalWebHost's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizviv
    Peter i have paid 447 bucks for the dn membership so this aint a biggie but is this 9.95 per thread or 9.95 per month?
    If its 9.95 per thread i cant afford because if 8-9 sites weekly we put on sale easily 100 $ weekly we have to spend.
    As been stated, you can list those 8-9 sites in 1 thread...so it would be a measely $1 per site you'd be paying.

I have to step up and agree with DC on this one.

Reading thru all the posts here, I get the impression that a lot of you think SPF is ome kiddie run site for your enjoyment. How many of you have made a good deal of money selling crappy Prozilla and DotComBuilder sites by the dozens here? Lots. Personally, I saw this coming a long time ago. I tried to forestall it by getting them to reinstate the 25 Post rule, but good arguements were raised as to why that would not really effectively curb the scammers.

As for all the completely clueless posts from kiddies who have NO clue what it takes in terms of money and time to run a business like SPF (and YES SITEPOINT FORUMS IS A BUSINESS NOT A HOBBY!) just make me chuckle.

Someone mentioned the money that SP makes from books, etc. How many of you actually have bought a book from SP versus how many of you have maded hundreds, if not thousands dumping crappy websites on the market?

You'll also notice a distinct lack of banner ads and popups on SPF? That's another plus for you and minus for them in terms of revenue.

$9.95....while that seems high, have you ever called your local paper to find out the cost of a single want ad?

What I see is a lot of kids who think that doing business on the web entails no overhead cost. Life does not work like that...nor does the real business world. You don't have to worry about payroll, server costs, office space, etc...SPF does.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This doesn't make sense at all!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LeoWebDesign
    I noticed that the only people that are complaining (with a few exceptions) are the people that ONLY post in the SYS section and don't contribute to the community at SPF. It seems to be just a free classifieds site to them.

Most of the people that are contributing to SPF in the other forums don't seem to have a problem with it.

Forum Buyer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey this is cool, every time I refresh there's a new post. Kinda like a chat

I guess this means the official minimum bid on SPF sales threads is $9.95

I crack me up
    Founder/Admin of a pretty decent chat forum
    Download free winterboard themes for your iPhone
    I run sites powered by vbulletin and one about the HTC Jetstream.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with some of your comments. But all sites are trying to get more traffic and your advice is to reduce traffic...??? More traffic means more clicks on more revenue. Dedicated servers are not that expensive too…
    High end ones that could handle the load are. We aren't talking $79 Rackshack Celeron's here. Bandwidth is more of the cost though more then servers.

As for reducing traffic...what good is traffic if it's all worthless traffic. People misunderstand that there is quality traffic...traffic that has high conversion rate (ie money in the pocket) vs high traffic with low conversion rate...

I think SPF would rather have less traffic but higher conversions. You can get 10,000 visitors a day...looks GREAT but if only 2-3 are buying something...you're losing money..not so great.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This doesn't make sense at all!!!
    Sure it does...it's called leeching.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can list a $40.00 website on ebay for about .60 and ebay makes a gazillion dollars a year. 9.95 per listing is not only too much but it sounds 1. like a greedy cash grab. 2. Sounds like you don't want small-time developers using your forums. I think you are shooting yourself in your foot and I hope once you retract this after a couple of months that all the users you lose don't come back.

And btw I have never sold a site yet but have purchased three of them here, all under $40.00.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with peter now.
    We all should pay.
    I am with you for paying peter .