SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    SitePoint Wizard gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy dc dalton's Avatar
    Right behind you, watching, always watching.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well Im going to post one last time and then Im done here..

I find it amazing how most of you have the BALLS to ask the staff how much they make on this thing or that or to tell them that "they ought to look at their own internal staff and company structure" ... MAN YOU GOT SOME BALLS!

Ill tell you what if this was my place Id be DAMNED insulted. DAMMIT I AM MAD NOW!

Some of you people that have posted here on page 3 and 4 are the MOST self-center ME ME ME people I have EVER SEEN! We have a term for that around here ONE WAY.... to have the audacity to questions the principles of this site as to their business practices for a mangy $10 is beyond LOW.... Lets see, EVERYTHING FOR YOU, NOTHING FOR ANYONE ELSE ... EVEN those who have sacrificed whatever it took to make this place what it is! DAMMIT to HELL who the HELL ARE YOU!

EVEN AFTER you have been told you can post as many sites as you wish in ONE THREAD, offsetting the cost over a couple of sites you still COMPLAIN! How freaking self centered can you get... I DEFY you to find ANYWHERE on the net right now that gives you as much as sitepoint has, for absolutely nothing! SHOW ME ONE PLACE!

I personally have helped many a person and never asked for one thing BECAUSE it was for the community. I have hired people, sold things, bought things and a lot more so if we use YOUR mentality whats in it for ME? Honestly I dont want one thing but you sure as heck seem to..

YA know what, I sold a site this week here BEFORE the new rule went into effect and IF someone here wants to send me a bill for $9.95 Ill be MORE THAN HAPPY to pay it ... its the LEAST I CAN DO for all the things SP has given me for NOTHING!

You people aught to be ashamed of yourselves, my god ... Im absolutely besides myself at the pathetic, immature, self-centered attitude I am seeing... unfreakingbelievable!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Waraas
    Sparta has a great post...

I think that if you guy do charge to post in this forum, then members will go to other sites, post on there forums, buy there e-books, etc. I just dont see why you would want that???

Perhaps they've reached critical mass, how big can forums get before a line in the sand is drawn ?

I've noticed an unusual amount of downtime, I think that suggests a struggle somewhere.

working hard is hard work

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy KLB's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparta
    Your argument is utterly moot. You're saying the point of this is to drive people a way, and thereby reducing the costs of hosting. No, that is utterly retarded.
    No it makes perfect sense. I did the exact same thing when I started blocking those who block my ads on my site and took measures that make it difficult to cache my site for off-line use. Yes I had lots of complaints in the beginning, but my traffic never really suffered and eventually the complaints subsided. Now I have a much higher quality user base and have been able to keep my hosting costs under control.

In the short run SitePoint might loose some people who primarily participate in these forums soley to buy and sell stuff, but in the long run those members will be replaced by people who are interested in things that are more along the lines of SitePoint's core business.

I doubt that SitePoint's staff want to drive users away, however, they were probably faced with some economic realities that they had to address. Those realities were that these forums are very expensive to operate and the marketplace represents the biggest part of this forum's operating expense. Like any business, SitePoint MUST manage costs to ensure profitablity. If the marketplace represents a large expense to SitePoint that is not off set by either direct or indirect revenues, they must make changes that balance things out.

I really wish people would stop thinking that running a website like this forum is cheap, because it isn't. Popular sites that are busy, like SitePoint Forums, are very expensive to operate and maintain.
    Ken Barbalace: EnvironmentalChemistry.com (Blog, Careers)
    InternetSAR.org
    Volunteers Assist Search and Rescue via Internet
    My Firefox Theme: Classic Compact
    Based onFirefox's default theme but uses much less window space

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy KLB's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dc dalton

I find it amazing how most of you have the BALLS to ask the staff how much they make on this thing or that or to tell them that "they ought to look at their own internal staff and company structure" ... MAN YOU GOT SOME BALLS!

Ill tell you what if this was my place Id be DAMNED insulted. DAMMIT I AM MAD NOW!
    --snip--
    Very well said.
    Ken Barbalace: EnvironmentalChemistry.com (Blog, Careers)
    InternetSAR.org
    Volunteers Assist Search and Rescue via Internet
    My Firefox Theme: Classic Compact
    Based onFirefox's default theme but uses much less window space

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KLB
    Very well said.
    Thank you ...... Im actually amazed it came out right as pissed as I am over this... MAN Im gonna have a hell of a time sleeping after getting this fired up!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done site point!

You just took hundreds of people out of a job!

[Runs To DNForums]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sketchynetwk
    Well done site point!

You just took hundreds of people out of a job!

[Runs To DNForums]

How does $9.95 put hundreds of people out of work?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some of you people that have posted here on page 3 and 4 are the MOST self-center ME ME ME people I have EVER SEEN! We have a term for that around here ONE WAY.... to have the audacity to questions the principles of this site as to their business practices for a mangy $10 is beyond LOW.... Lets see, EVERYTHING FOR YOU, NOTHING FOR ANYONE ELSE ... EVEN those who have sacrificed whatever it took to make this place what it is!DAMMIT to HELL who the HELL ARE YOU!
    Question You Should Ask Yourself!

Back to topic: Maybe bringing back the 25 posts rule can help?
    Webmaster Tutorials | Photoshop, Flash, 3D Tutorials

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by noxcel.com
    Question You Should Ask Yourself!
    I know EXACTLY who I am, what I can do and HOW TO APPRECIATE SOMETHING THATS GIVEN TO ME FOR NOTHING .... unlike a LOT of the others here!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I read this forums I am going from
    Advertising Sales & Affiliate Programs
    to Sell Your Site then ASP and .Net forums.
    As I am still a rookie and I am just testing the waters of Internet income making,
    the Sell Your Site was the great source of information which sites are doing good and generate revenue.
    With this fee the number of sell offers will be reduced hard.
    For me your forum will not be so sticky as before.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some of you people that have posted here on page 3 and 4 are the MOST self-center ME ME ME people I have EVER SEEN! We have a term for that around here ONE WAY.... to have the audacity to questions the principles of this site as to their business practices for a mangy $10 is beyond LOW.... Lets see, EVERYTHING FOR YOU, NOTHING FOR ANYONE ELSE ... EVEN those who have sacrificed whatever it took to make this place what it is! DAMMIT to HELL who the HELL ARE YOU!

EVEN AFTER you have been told you can post as many sites as you wish in ONE THREAD, offsetting the cost over a couple of sites you still COMPLAIN! How freaking self centered can you get... I DEFY you to find ANYWHERE on the net right now that gives you as much as sitepoint has, for absolutely nothing! SHOW ME ONE PLACE!

I personally have helped many a person and never asked for one thing BECAUSE it was for the community. I have hired people, sold things, bought things and a lot more so if we use YOUR mentality whats in it for ME? Honestly I dont want one thing but you sure as heck seem to..

YA know what, I sold a site this week here BEFORE the new rule went into effect and IF someone here wants to send me a bill for $9.95 Ill be MORE THAN HAPPY to pay it ... its the LEAST I CAN DO for all the things SP has given me for NOTHING!

You people aught to be ashamed of yourselves, my god ... Im absolutely besides myself at the pathetic, immature, self-centered attitude I am seeing... unfreakingbelievable!
    You hate those people saying ME ME ME but how about you, you always say I, I, I and I is that mean different from ME.

The originator of this post never answer those questions and defend his self and the forum why you do so? is it mean that you are more concern on it than the owners and mods of this community?

Please don't get mad on me I am just asking....
    Visit us at lexorsoft.net , if you need SEO related services

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know EXACTLY who I am, what I can do and HOW TO APPRECIATE SOMETHING THATS GIVEN TO ME FOR NOTHING .... unlike a LOT of the others here!
    thats nice... Are you gonna keep your word?"

Webmaster Tutorials | Photoshop, Flash, 3D Tutorials

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by edpudol
    Please don't get mad on me I am just asking....
    I have no intentions of getting mad at you !

From my point of view we have a company, mind you company, that has been providing ALL OF YOU with an amazing place to do whatever you wanted at NO CHARGE... well now things are starting to effect this company and they have bills to pay and have to upsize their equipment becuase of the demand .. so who pays? Do they break out THEIR wallets and just "suck it up" .... while all of you keep using the site day in and day out, on your merry way, for nothing?

Why do I defend the original poster? Because I, YES I SAID I, am part of this community and have benefited from it in more ways than I could ever post here.... I, unlike a few here, realize part of my ability to do my job and make money, even if its a small part, is because of the knowledge I have received from THIS PLACE! So when someone does you favor after favor without asking for anything in return you (at least I do) tend to appreciate it. And if that person (company etc) then asks some small thing do you then throw all they have given you back in your face? I dont, but thats NOT whats happening here tonight!

It seems to me, at least, that a WHOLE bunch of people are thinking of nothing more than themselves .... nothing more. How about we try to look at the BIG picture here. What if they just said "the hell with it, shut it down" tomorrow . then where would you be? And I have to be quite honest here, if it were MY site and I saw this? I shut the WHOLE section down immediately! Talk about throwing it right back in their faces!

and those of you who wish I would just shut up? NO, Im not going to! Yeah I posted "last one" but you know what ... you folks are enough to piss off the Pope so NO I wont shut up!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    although i didn't want to post since i am mostly browsing here..but i think it might be a wise idea of perhaps taking a pool and maybe get some ideas from some other users of some alternatives..I can understand paying bills and keep those so called "turnkey" sites off but $9.95 might be a hefty tag..just a thought..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not add a buy/sell turnkey forum. that would raise the quality in the main forum and most likely lessen the traffic since many wouldn't be intessted in the turnkes, not reading them by misstake etc.
    AquaticCommunity
    Small sites:1 2 3 4 5 6

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Peter i have paid 447 bucks for the dn membership so this aint a biggie but is this 9.95 per thread or 9.95 per month?
    If its 9.95 per thread i cant afford because if 8-9 sites weekly we put on sale easily 100 $ weekly we have to spend.

Business Growth *******s, Inc
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still not my kind of thing. Probably most of the current low-end sellers will find another place to sell those sites.

As well as me, I'm really against charging money to post/register/view. And that is why I will probably move away from these forums to build up my reputation elsewhere, as it has no use here anymore.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its only for "sell your site" threads Edora, not every thread/post

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DevInterActive
    although i didn't want to post since i am mostly browsing here..but i think it might be a wise idea of perhaps taking a pool and maybe get some ideas from some other users of some alternatives..I can understand paying bills and keep those so called "turnkey" sites off but $9.95 might be a hefty tag..just a thought..
    A poll would be useless. Majority of people in this forum buy/sell crap sites so it's obvious that all these people will be against the $10 rule. It's like running a poll "Do you want to make more money or not" - you know the result before you've posted the poll.
    I'm glad that sitepoint decided to bet on quality vs quantity. The only thing I'm afraid of is that this may turn off some newbie sellers with quality sites. If you're a regular here you probably will have a vague idea what amount of interest will a site generate. However, for a newbie it's not immediately clear what will you get for your $10.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dalton, while I agree with what you say - try not to get that angry - it's not good for your health

As a long time forums owner I can tell you it's in the nature of forum life. Everyone and their mama think they can tell you how to run the place and people aren't shy about asking all the how's and how muches. And yes, it can be upsetting for the owners, and no, SPF owners/team definitely don't have to answer any of these questions.

Actually, I appreciate the fact that the original announcement has been left as an open thread for people to comment on. SPF could have just put up a closed sticky and leave it at that. People are being given the opportunity to vent and that's nice.

I guess, like Peter said, only time will tell how this new rule will affect the forums. If I may add my two cents -

1. Some scammers will be happy to pay the fee for a large site, just like they do on ebay. In fact the only time I've been burnt was with a $800 site. I think SPF should stress that although there is a fee to SP involved, that still doesn't give the sale more credibility.

2. Regardless of this fee, myself, and I'm sure many others too, would be happy to become a paying member if an monthly/yearly option is provided. I've said this before - I'll be happy to pay up to $5 a month for a larger PM box and maybe some other perks (not sure what really - maybe a discount on sitepoint products?). I have several paying members on my boards and it's working really well. There are no public signs of them being paying members - they just get more image hosting space and a larger PM box. Just a thought.
    My Web Publishing Blog: B6S.net - I dofollow but don't spam!
    Follow me on Twitter
    My favorite content writer:
    Steve Snedeker

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm dissapointed to see this thread going on 5th page , plenty of other places(as popular as SP and maybe more), why bother?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm lucky i posted my thread before this new listing fee system

Although, i doubt i will be selling anymore forums, etc here because i'm most likely to sell sites and forums for $10 - $50 and when you add the listing fees and paypal fees you could lose quite alot of your money.

I also think that the Sell Your Site forum might turn into a cemetery with hardly any new threads each day because of the listing fee system and members will most likely not participate since they will be thinking that not many people will be posting their sites for sale anymore meaning that the people selling their site won't really get the best of bids and offers for their site.

I'm off to find another place to sell my sites and forums but i will still participate in the SitePoint community

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think 9.95 per thread is too much. This way Sitepoint kills Sell your site forum. Why not to make $1 per thread and $10 (10 threads) minimal purchase?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all,

It looks like a couple of people are getting pretty angry, and I don't like to see you getting upset. Please try not to upset other members too much.

I'll briefly address a couple of the issues that have been raised here.

The issue of hosting costs has been raised. Hosting cost is one, but not the only, reason for this new system. A couple of you are wondering what our hosting setup is currently like. At the moment all of sitepoint.com is hosted on a single dedicated server. This includes the database server as well. We're at a point where we are just on the edge of outgrowing this setup - in fact at some times of the day SitePoint's just too slow for comfort so you could say we've outgrown it already. We've known this was going to happen for a long time, but of course there's very large development costs involved in the transition to a multiple-server configuration, not to mention the additional hosting costs and costs to maintain such a hosting environment.

Some of you are concerned about the cost. We certainly appreciate all of the feedback we're getting on the $9.95 fee. In this initial weeks of this system we intend to observe how it works and make changes to it as necessary. We're not going to rule out further changes to it. I assure you that we will look at your feedback as we go and consider it seriously.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most of us will simple move to other forums...$9.95 a post is way too much. 9.95/m is acceptable.

As a dedicated server owner I know, server is not that expensive and Sitepoint makes wayyyyy much more money just from advertising. A auction on Ebay costs about $99c !!! Anyway it's not my call, but I don't think this 9.95 fee will work. It will significantly decrease the traffic and clicks on your ads.