User Tag List

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 111718192021
    He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Defender
    yeah because it would have been so hard to exlude the marketplace from today's topics on the front page...jeez...

The reputation of SP is hurt and you don't give a crap. Neither do I really...they deserve it imho.

They should make a new tag line.
    "Empowering Web Developers Since 1997 and Screwing Over It's Member Base Since 2005"
    If you don't like it then leave. I know I am tired of hearing your whining. You've made your point a long time ago and now you're just posting to get attention. Here is your attention now leave us in peace.

Edit:

If you reply I won't. I don't feed trolls which is what you've essentially become in this thread.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Defender you have made 19 posts sofar in this thread. That's almost an entire page devoted to your posts. Pretty impressive! I think you're making more posts now than before we introduced the 9.95 fee.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog · Twitter · Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework · Jokes · Android stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Previously I used the PM system for most of my dealings. Nice to know that I got someones attention. You even counted my posts.

:-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately seeking attention by making spurious claims and irritating your fellow forum users achieves nothing.

I wonder why you are still in here beating your chest, even after "threatening" to leave for good. It seems most people have wisely resolved to ignore your whining.
    Wormly Server Performance Monitoring
    Don't wait for an SMS at 4am. Find out what's really
    going on and fix the problem. www.wormly.com/website-monitoring

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it is time to close this thread before it gets to heated.
    Regards,
    Mike Kelly

SitePoint Enthusiast homesonsale's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone know where the sellers have moved on to? Its kind of dead now in SYS ... I guess the trick worked!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Defender
    You even counted my posts.
    Actually, by clicking the number under the 'Replies' column, you can see the number of posts each member has made in a thread, so there's no need to spend time counting posts.
    Community Guidelines | Community FAQ

"He that is kind is free, though he is a slave;
    he that is evil is a slave, though he be a king." - St. Augustine

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it is time to close this thread before it gets to heated.
    a little late for that.

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by toddieg
    a little late for that.
    Actually this thread isn't heated. We just get tired of hearing the same people crying about the same stuff. Make your point once and leave it at that. Repeatedly bashing the forums is only going to turn them against you.

If others have an opinion on this decision we want to hear it. Member feedback is very important to SitePoint and every post will be read and considered whether it is positive or negative.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question No more fee?

Is the fee still in effect? There's no mention of it in the announcement and the List Your Website For Sale on SitePoint for only $9.95 at the top of the forum link goes to the SYS forum.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes it's in effect. there's a button on the top left that says 'list your site for $9.95' instead of 'new thread'.... try it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, I see the button now. Thanks!

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know that I'm a bit late, but I read through most of the post. I don't have a problem with the listing fee (not that I see websites though) as it seems like a small fee to sell a website. I mean PayPal might take more than that for large scale websites, lol.

KLB - I'm glad you realize and can elucidate just what it takes to host SitePoint. Just an interesting stat; I recently turned off gzip for the forums which has lightened the load a bit. I checked our bandwidth use yesterday, and in the first 5 days of May we had already used 100GB.
    I might be one of few who thinks that SitePoint should be charging more for a listing fee, maybe even a precentage of the sale. Just think about 100 GB every five days! That's a hefty cost! I think that they could charge more like 7% of the sale, or a larger listing fee.

This will definately get rid of a the idiots, I mean freeloaders who inhabit the forums. Then in the end you have the devouted members who really make SitePoint what it is. I think we should do this in the US too by legalizing pot, but we won't go there

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why ruin a good thing and disturb your members. I would rather see the section closed than see fee based forums. I think this cheapens the image you have built up of what Sitepoint is over the years. I've bought 4 Sitepoint books. I could have just as well bought similar books from wrox or oreilly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A little late in here, due to my recent idle weeks from the online world, but I thought I'd drop my $0.02 in this discussion.

Being a webmaster in constant a constant struggle with the ads & fees vs. user experience vs. server specs and performance myself, I can certainly relate to your issues here. While I don't personally really agree with the approach you've taken this time around, as I'd much rather see a one off fee for the ability to post in the Sell Your Site forum, I respect and acknowledge that it's your decision to make. I can also assure you that whenever you make changes like these, no matter what they are, people will always do their best to raise h*ll. It never fails, because it always happen. But it'll all cool off eventually, and I don't think a forum such as SitePoint will see a noticeable negative effect from this (but I'm sure you've already weighed that back and forward already).

On another note, there seems to be a lot of interest in a sort of paid membership option here at SitePoint. I know I certainly would pay a few bucks or ten every month for all the help I get here at SitePoint- I've learned more here in a few months than I did elsewhere over the past three or four years, and I'd love to give something back in form of paying a small sum every month. I see that many have requested small perks like bigger PM inbox, and while I certainly wouldn't say no to that, I think many of us would be willing to give a teeny bit of our monthly income in order to ensure that SP is always running smoothly when we need the help we get here, because lately there have been quite a bit of slowdowns (sometimes I've found SP to be completely inaccessible for longer periods of time as well).

On another another (haha) note, I'm amazed to see that all of SitePoint is running on a single server. Amazed.

Edit
    Irony just had its way with me, as I got a timeout after hitting "Post" when I was posting this message

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, with a lot of backlash over this. Why don't you guys offer some helpful feedback instead.

What would you like to see in a message forum to help make buying/selling websites easier? Perhaps a dedicated turnkey section to keep any site under $100 seperate from the established sites? Perhaps either a fixed price or an auction style image indicating how the site is to be sold? Perhaps a standard template that always has to be followed when posting a site forsale, so all sites listings are consistent making it easier for buyers? Perhaps a way to rate traders like DNForum? Perhaps a fee to have your site featured ahead of everyone elses?

Those are a few things that come to my mind.
    Here is a favorite quote of mine when someone decides
    to thread crap on something they are ignorant about:

"I shall not commit the fashionable stupidity of
    regarding everything I cannot explain as a fraud" Jung

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being able to purchase sticky posts in the marketplace forums at an affordable cost ($15-100 per week) would be nice. That would help support the costs of the forum without restricting their use to those who pay.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snareklutz
    Has ANYBODY ever seen a turnkey site become sucessful. Turnkey sites are SCAMS.
    Yes, it happens all the time. Just because the site comes with a non-unique design and offers a service other sites offer doesn't mean it can't be extremely successful. Turnkey sites are cheap enough to be a good starting point for making a unique site.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well then, that would be a customised turnkey website, which isn't turnkey as it's customised.

Unless, of course, you can show me some examples.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman
    Yes, it happens all the time. Just because the site comes with a non-unique design and offers a service other sites offer doesn't mean it can't be extremely successful. Turnkey sites are cheap enough to be a good starting point for making a unique site.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snareklutz
    Well then, that would be a customised turnkey website, which isn't turnkey as it's customised.

Unless, of course, you can show me some examples.
    Are you saying that buying turnkey sites with the intent to customize them is such a far-fetched idea that the sale of such sites should be prohibited? That's what I'm hearing, and it's not making sense to me. All a turnkey site is, basically, is a script wrapped around a sample design, which eliminates half the learning curve of buying a script without good example usage.