SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GDI & User Resource Prob.

Ever since installing an internal DSL modem (that I've since uninstalled and started using an external) I've had my user and GDI resources plummet rapidly whenever I'm online. In under an hour, my computer becomes unusable and I have to reboot!

I don't have the disk to reinstall Win Me anymore (The CD that came with the computer got lost when I sent my computer for repairs last ) .

Does anyone know if I wipe everything out and reinstall with Win98 if this problem will be fixed? I have an old copy somewhere but I'm a little reluctant to risk losing any of the drivers for my system, they're also on the lost CD.

Any other ideas?
    I've tried everything else I can think of.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reloading the OS is a big step. Have you consulted the Microsoft knowledge base? If not i took the liberty of finding the following URL for you. It may be of some use.

http://support.microsoft.com/support...hwddresctr.asp
    Straight from the TP! And I don't mean the Trailer Park.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm...
    I hadn't been to that section of MS support.

I couldn't seem to find the answer there either.

Reloading and downgrading does seems like a terrible thing to have to do.

I've now had a friend look at the problem (he fixes problems like this for a living) and he can't figure it out.

Sigh... win 98 here I come.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well just between you me and the fencepost Win98 has substantially better memory benchmarks than Windows ME. Windows ME in my oppinion is garbage. Win98 is the better OS. I doubt too many people would oppose me on that.
    Straight from the TP! And I don't mean the Trailer Park.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I've heard that about 98. Still though, I'd rather avoid the whole re-instalation (I'm terrified of losing a vital driver or anything else.)

I did notice however that the losses only happen when I open and close windows repeatedly. (I'm hopelessly addicted to right-click-open-in-new-window!) I haven't done that today (most of the time... old habits die hard) and my GDI is at 54% after many hours online! (Considerably better but still not great considering I only have 1 browser open and no other programs other than an internet connection are active. I start up at 96%.)

I've installed the patch for this from Microsoft, but there's no difference.

I've tried conecting with my old modem and have the same results... maybe it wasn't the DSL at all?!

Maybe the IE browser itelf? After next reboot I'll use opera or mozilla to see if that affects anything.

Reinstalling will be so much work but I think I've spent more time trying to avoid it than if I'd just plunged ahead.