SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Scanner problems - in use by another program

I've just spent the last 6 hours trying to reinstall my scanner, search the Net for help, etc etc to no avail. Any assistance here will be greatly appreciated!

Having reinstalled my scanner and accompanying software, each time I try to use or test the scanner, I'm told that its in use by another program - which its not!

I have an HP flatbed scanner - ScanJet 4p and am using Visioneer Paperport v3. I found out that the Paperport program isn't compatible with Win 98, so followed instructions and downloaded and installed Deskscan II v2.8, which is supposed to then make it work. It hasn't!

My scanner was working fine previously, with the above software on Win 98. I took my computer into the shop to have the harddrive wiped and now can't seem to get the scanner working again. My frustration levels are at their peak! Help!!!! Please....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had a bit of experience with this scanner and the problems it causes. It really doesnt like windows 98 and the SCSI card is a piece of junk (no offence but it sucks).

Some questions for you.

1. What version of Win98 were you running before your hard drive was formatted and what version is it now?

2. Are you making sure that the scanner is turned on before booting up your computer? Any SCSI device should be powered on before the computer is booted. This has to be done becuase SCSI devices are initialized during the computer boot sequence and if it isnt on then the SCSI device will not operate in windows.

3. Is the scanner and SCSI card visible under device manager?
    To get to the device manager, right click on my computer, select properties, click on the device manager tab and your there.

Any other stuff you can tell me about your PC setup could also be useful.
    http://www.avgallery.com.au/ - Your ticket to high-end audio!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Micmar,

Thanks for responding. Greatly appreciated.

In answer to your questions:

1. I'm using the same version of Win98 as I was prior to reformatting my hard drive. It's the upgrade version - first edition, I think. Not sure how to confirm this except to look on the disk itself, which doesn't seem to say anything like "second edition" "v2b" etc etc.

2. I have mostly had the scanner turned on during the installation, rebooting the computer, etc etc. I've also (out of desperation), tried it all with the scanner turned off. When that didn't work either, I turned it back on and retried a third, fourth and fifth time. My next move is leaning towards trying it with the scanner flying through the window! (or should that be Windows???!)

3. This is where I know something is definately wrong. The device manager shows "Other Devices", and under that, it reads "Unsupported Device". I can't work out why this is so, since it was supported previously!

Not sure what else to say about my computer. 6g hard drive, divided into 3 drives (same as before the reformat), and 125mg RAM.

What else do you need to know?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, to start with if you cant see your scanner or SCSI card under device manager then it will not work - period.

In that case, follow these steps.
    1. Download this file
    ftp://ftp.lsil.com/pub/symchips/scsi...8/hpisadrv.zip
    The files in this zip file are crucial to getting the SCSI card working. Unzip them to a temporary directory on your c drive.
    ***Note: These are designed for Windows 95 but I have had them working under 98.***

2. The unsupported device is most probably your SCSI card. Highlight it under device manager and click "remove".

3. Disconnect your scanner from the SCSI card and reboot. When it comes up with new hardware found and asks you for a driver, browse to the location on your c drive where you unzipped the zip file you downloaded. Follow the instructions and select the HP400a option. Let the install finish and reboot if it tells you too.

4. Check under device manager to see if the SCSI card has been properly installed and is said to be working properly.

5. If you get this far then you are almost home. Next, shut down your PC, connect the scanner to the SCSI card, turn the scanner on and finally power on your PC.

6. With any luck Windows will pick up the scanner as a new piece of hardware and install the drivers for it - you shouldnt need to give it any.

Hopefully after all that you should be able to see your scanner and SCSI card under device manager without a problem. If you have any problems let me know as these instructions are from memory and I havent had to touch this model scanner in months.

Good Luck!
    Micmar
    http://www.avgallery.com.au/ - Your ticket to high-end audio!