SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

strange WMP problem

I have both WMP 6.4 and 8. When playing a movie if its an AVI the movie plays upside down where as mpgs are just all messed up the screen is sortta green when playing them. I'm guessing this is a codec problem anyone any ideas?
    Garlic bread, I've tasted it, it's the future

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://support.microsoft.com/support...n_SRCH&SPR=WMP

What OS are you running? Becuase i was experiencing similar issue on my 2000 Professional box before i installed to Service Pack 2. After Installing SP2 it worked like a champ.
    Straight from the TP! And I don't mean the Trailer Park.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm running WMP 8 on Windows XP beta 2. But also this problem happens in windows2k on WMP7. Reading that url didn't really help me but something was suggested about video card drivers all I can think of is that i reverted to old video card drivers after the newer ones cause screen flickering in Settlers IV. Not sure if this may be the cause or not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is the only answer that I've been able to find

Some capture devices create .avi files that do not fully conform to published specifications. Upside down video may happen with the YUY2 pixel format only. To prevent this problem, you can either set the driver on your capture device to use a different pixel format, or you can “flip” the image if your driver provides such a feature. Note that if you are sourcing directly from the capture device without creating an .avi file, the encoder automatically uses a pixel format that displays the video correctly. Acceptable pixel formats are: IYUV (or I420) (12 bits per pixel), YV12 (12 bits per pixel), RGB 24 (24 bits per pixel), RGB 32 (32 bits per pixel), RGB 16 (16 bits per pixel), YVU9 (9 bits per pixel), and RGB 8 (8 bits per pixel).

If it is not possible to capture the source again, you can import the .avi file into a video editing application such as Adobe Premiere and export the file to another .avi file by using a different pixel format.

Hope it helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think its anything wrong with the video files they used to play fine, this only starting happening.