SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

imagine no limitations exbabylon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IP Dialup And Apache

I've just installed Apache, configured PHP and MySQL using firepages (worked great), then installed Fictional Deamon for telnet and FTP... works fine on localhost, but I can't access it from another computer. I'm only on a dial-up connection, but I needed FTP/Telnet access to the computer at certain times from remote locations when someone else will be here to get online.

Could you please help me? When I'm online I can access my webroot locally by using the following.
    Code:
    bullets

localhost
    Then, of course, offline, it's just:
    Code:
    localhost
    When I try to access the server, or telnet I get a no page found, cannot connect, blah, blah, blah...

Could anyone help me? I really would like to be able to access my machine from a remote place!

Thanks iin advance for the awesome help!

Alex Stanton
    Blamestorming: Sitting around in a group discussing why a deadline was missed or a project failed and who was responsible.

Exbabylon- Professional Internet Services

midnight coder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I assume there's no problem with accessing it from localhost? And the IP keeps changing so you can't access it remotely.

You need a name that redirects you to the IP address. Something like DynIP, www.dynip.com , or DNS2Go, www.dns2go.com

So say you registered with dynip, you'll get a Dynamic DNS like exbabylon.dynip.com, and when you enter that, it'll automatically direct it to your IP address, even if it changes all the time.

There're a dozen other services like the above, they're just some I could think of right now.

imagine no limitations exbabylon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are almost a god

Thank you, I learned something today!
    Blamestorming: Sitting around in a group discussing why a deadline was missed or a project failed and who was responsible.

Exbabylon- Professional Internet Services