User Tag List

Thread: retype.net

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

retype.net

Hi,

I've had my website up and running for just under half the year now, although I've not yet had it properly reviewed. It's w3c html valid and as far as I know it's passed the bobby test</gloat>.

Well anwyay, the site's at: http://www.retype.net

Thanks in advance.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi retype. You did some great reviews!

As for your site:

I am 1024x768x32bit
    IE5.5 on PC

What server-side software do you use? Are you using SSI? A programming language? Because otherwise your site would be a lot of work

Your logo: Good idea, nice design. I would consider putting one more colour into it, because at the moment the beige below it kind of stands out more than the logo itself but it's good otherwise. Have you considered moving it to the left?

A tagline or quick description. This will have a number of possible benefits:
    -It could boost search engine performance.
    -It would help to give the reader an impression of what your site is within about 10 seconds of seeing it for the first time.
    -It may help to fill the gap in the blue header.
    I'm not talking just about the welcome message, I mean a short 10-words-or-less tagline for your site.

I would consider putting a border around the entire page, ie around the whole width=760 table. Maybe, instead of a border, you could set the background colour of the table to a different background colour to the BODY (I'd recommend keeping the table white).

Just some suggestions. Good luck!
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi retype!
    Nice and neat site!

I feel that the logo is a little messy though, maybe you can make the main "retype" stand out a little bit more.

Some of your pages are a little too long, maybe breaking them up into different pages will help?

Your site seems to be hanging halfway in the air....like what mmj said, maybe a different background or a border will look more comfortable.

Just my two cents =)
    http://winnielim.com- Portfolio site

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: retype.net

Overall, it's an excellent site. Makes it difficult to doa review when there aren't any glaring faults.

I don't like the headings on pages such as http://www.retype.net/wisdom/einstein.html
    Because they are blue and underlined and no larger than body text they appear to be links.

There is no common 'bottom' to every page. Unfortunately with Internet Explorer, I'm never sure if the entire page has been rendered or is it failed to load all of the way. Most pages have a common element at the bottom like a copyright or a comments link, privacy policy, etc. Anything to let the reader know that the page didn't stop loading part way through the download.

I'm using the Internet Explorer 6 Preview Release on Win2000 and when I mouseover links they turn orange. This color clashes with the yellow/beige boxes and I would consider changing it (despite the fact that with body text it looks excellent and contrasts nicely with the blue theme). An example of the clashing is on the main page http://www.retype.net/index.html with the 'Site of the Moment' box.

I lvoe your use of the drop down menu box to go to Anchors - I'll remember that and consider using it in my future sites.

Keep up the great work. .5 out of 5

Bimbo With A Brain! silver trophy Saz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Neil,

1280x1024 but with a 1024x768 browser window
    Win ME
    IE 5.5

First I would agree with mmj and xharine that you need some kind of border around your table. I can't help feeling that it needs to be 'closed off' - especially if I go full screen.

I like the idea of the logo being on the right, but the design of it's not quite there for me. Perhaps if you made the main 'retype' stand out a bit more?

I like the content on the main page - it's enough to grab my attention and make me want to read more (added to my favourite's so I can take my time reading later!), though I don't see the need to state that the website is compatible with both NN and IE. I use IE, I can see your site works in IE, and the fact that it works in NN is of little consequence & vice versa.

I'm not too sure about your mouse-overs. In the nav bar they go red and the text links go orange. I think it would look better if you just picked one colour and used it for both. Out of the red and orange, I'd go with the orange, but personally I think I'd be more inclined to choose a paler blue.

On the whole it's a well laid out site and one that I can see myself going back to regularly. Great stuff.
    Saz: Naturally Blonde, Naturally Dizzy!
    No longer Editor of the Community Crier.

Don't mind me, I'm having a BLONDE moment!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with the above comments, especially the long pages. I'm on a very high res right now and a decent page shouldn't be more than 4 windows long, yours go way over. The worst thing about this is that you have all the navigation at the top, and there is no "to top" links at least at the bottom. You should deffinately consider adding that or adding your section links. Either one would work. You deffinately need to break up your content into more pages. Right now you don't have any sections, just pages. Make sections with multiple pages in each one.

One example the Proverbs page, instead of the entire alphabet on one page, have a link for each letter or small group of letters.

I don't care for the logo much because of the over lapping effect. It's a bit to much I think. Perhaps fading the overlap a bit more would help.

I also think that you need a page signature at the bottom of your pages. They are a great feature for giving your pages a finished look.

You have a lot of different styles and sizes going on with tables. Perhaps you could choose one style and use it throughout the site, including colour and size, especialy seperate tables on the same page.
    Raven Bren
    NS 4.75, 800x600-1024x768, T1 cable, Win "98

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great site.

I would break the sub-pages (like the Proverbs page) into groups of pages to make navigation easier. I would also do a "go to top" link at the bottom of the page.

I can't really think of anything else - it's clean, quick-loading, and easy on the eyes. Good job.

9.5/10
    Kevin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the advise you all gave, it really is better to get a second opinion. Although I won't be concentrating on the site right away (exams are going underway atm).. you've given me something to think about for the summer when I have loads of free time.

Originally posted by mmj
    What server-side software do you use? Are you using SSI? A programming language? Because otherwise your site would be a lot of work
    There's nothing server side on it atm. I would have used asp, but the server doesn't support it. I'm going to learn a few more and pick it up from there. Which do you think what suit the site in hand mmj?

Thanks again for each of you that replied, great reviews I must say.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Jeremy W.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, okay... First off, a very impressive site. I'd have to agree that a server side language of some kind NEEDS to be implemented simply because of the amount of updating required for a site like this!

Aright, I'll drop my opinion in, just in case you read it before you start exams

pc, ie6, 1024x768

The first thing that strikes me is the "messy" logo. Even though it totally gets some point across I think it is very messy and just blurring and dropping the opacity on teh backgorund text could work wonders (either that or applying shadow, bevel, other colour or something to bring that text out from teh background).

Also with the logo the only other thing I'd pick at is your opacity fade fades towards the right... Now, since your logo is already on the right and people read towards the right (generally) this leads the eye to ... well, white space.

I would either put the logo on the left, make the fade go to the left (and move the "retype" front text to the right to balance it) or remove that opacity fade altogether (I dont' like this option though).

Next, the "please use the navigation at the left" is a bit redundant. If your users can't figure out that's the menu, put "MENU" above it I'm fairly sure everyone will realise your site isn't one page.

Next, the red rolloveres don't work... I'd use an ice blue or something other than red because it just doesn't fit... Similarly I'd drop the beige and put a baby blue in there so that you get a fullly-featured theme as well as a colour-identity you can work with in the future.

On the chinese proverbs page I'd put a list of letters up top that would bring the user to the appropriate letter (saving me from scrolling if I did want proverbs of a certain letter) as well as a "to top" link after every letter list.

On your jokes page I would put the "click here" under the text as the description is what people will read first THEN they will want to click. You may also want to consider layout it out in a more friendly fashion (less white space or something) so that users aren't reading all over the place.

Also, do the dates matter? I mean, to the user does it matter what date they were added? Probably not, maybe a "new" icon or just bold the ones that are new would be best.

Ah well, just like to add in again that I like it and think that you have enough depth to the site that you could think of adding more features soon to give people who aren't interested in these 5-6 things more to chew on

Oh, and, USE A SERVER SIDE LANGUAGE! Whichever you are more comfortable with or your host allows will do but something that means you don't EVER need to touch the raw code unless something either breaks or you want to add something.
    SVP Marketing, SoCast SRM
    Personal blog: Strategerize
    Twitter: @jeremywright

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hello

excellent website.. I came to review your website yesterday.. but while reviewing your website I just began reading your jokes and forgot to write the review on your website.

first of all, sorry for that..
    secondly, excellent website..
    what else I can say that only split the pages so that its easy to navigate.

Would tell me more later .. (feeling lazy)

Thanks,
    Omair Haroon
    36Host.com - $36/year web hosting [affiliates earn 30%]
    * Affordable Small Business Web Hosting since 2003! *
    "500mb space, 10gb bandwith, 50 pop/ftp accounts, php,
    mysql, pre-installed php scripts, 24/7 support & more...."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    pc, ie5.5, 1024x768

Well done Neil.

I don't mind the logo but yes some color to make the large retype stand out would improve it greatly.

There is a white gap between the right side of the menu and the continuation of the blue from the header. You may wish to try fixed width tables to prevent it from being pushed out.

affordable website design

:: sydney australia ::

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really like your site! It's just a hair away from being a really great site.

I do really like the concept of your logo design but do agree with others who suggest putting the logo to the left and making the primary "Retype" on it a different color to make it stand out. Don't think it would need a drop shadow. Perhaps pick up the color from your rollovers?

Why are there three "Site of the Moment" headings on your home page? Seen no need for but one. Perhaps an "Archived Sites" instead.

Navigation headings. Something just didn't seem right. Took me a while to figure it out. It was the "Funny" heading. All your other headings are nouns and Funny is an adjective. Would suggest using the word "Humor" instead making headings all nouns. (I know, this is really nit-picky!

I would coordinate colors of links/links visited and rollover color changes a bit better. They just don't seem to match very well.

Site in general needs just a bit more color.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Generally yeah it is pretty good - everyone has had some great suggestions so I won't repeat..

- why are some backgrounds grey and some white? I would stick with the grey I think cos when it's white it is REALLY white.

I just can't help feeling it's a little dull. It doesn't really excite me to look at it. I'd use more interesting colours and just make it more engaging.

Plus I found it a little hard to navigate, in that I didn't really know what I was going to be looking at when I clicked the links!
    Oh and the premiership tables are out of date...
    I swear to drunk I'm not God.
    Matt's debating is not a crime
    Hint: Don't buy a stupid dwarf Clicky