SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Formerly known as RockNRollPig Shpigford's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Enable WYSIWYG for Safari

The newest versions of Safari (1.3 and 2.0) support WYSIWYG editing in textarea's but it looks like vB is still automatically sending Safari the Standard Editor. Could this be changed?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you set your user-agent string somehow to that of IE/Windows does it work?

I'm guessing that vB is checking against UA string to determine whether to send an enhanced editor down or not, so that would fool it temporarily.

Off Topic:

I hate the enhanced editor anyway and disable it, but to each his own I guess.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vgarcia
    If you set your user-agent string somehow to that of IE/Windows does it work?

I'm guessing that vB is checking against UA string to determine whether to send an enhanced editor down or not, so that would fool it temporarily.

Off Topic:

I hate the enhanced editor anyway and disable it, but to each his own I guess.
    I set my user-agent and it enabled the controls but they didn't work...apparently there's more to it than just allowing safari to see it. Oh well.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Josh, apparently there were some bugs with the new Safari. Not sure if they are related to this, but see www.alistapart.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mstwntd
    Josh, apparently there were some bugs with the new Safari. Not sure if they are related to this, but see www.alistapart.com
    That's actually where i found the link to where Safari supports WYSIWYG. And the "bugs" mentioned there aren't related to textareas.

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, Safari only seems to support Bold, Italic, and Underline with any kind of stability at this time. The vBulletin developers are working on WYSIWYG support for Safari but it doesn't have the capabilities of IE or Mozilla. Setting your user agent string won't work because different web browsers rely on different components and libraries for WYSIWYG support. There is no standard or a single API to do this. Each Browser has to have its own code.

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=137092
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Nice information Wayne. I know that Safari is trying as hard as possible to be IE-compatible but I guess they couldn't get it 100% (not surprising).

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw that phpBB3 has WYSIWYG Editor which works well in my Safari 1.3.2. Not sure how they can make it works with Safari, it's look very nice.