SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How should I do this?...

Hello everyone,
    I want to make a website for a local golf course, and I want to really impress them and make a system that does the following:

You can make teetimes online, once you make your tee time, your email gets sent into a database of emails. You can submit an email adress for a mailing list. Then, I want to make it so the golf course manager can send an email to everyone on the list. I want the online tee time reservation thing to work like this one: http://www.teeitup.com/golf/course.wpl?C=900619. Then, I want an application at the golf course, where you can edit tee times and stuff, etc... I think I could do that with c++, Im pretty proffecient, I just need to know how to implement C++ and mysql for that. I know, this is going to cost alot and take lots of time, but Im willing, and the golf course manager will be using it on lots of courses.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would definitely recommend PHP for this. If you know C++, you can make this in PHP in a very short time. I knew C++ before PHP and wrote my first Open Source news posting application in about 8 hours (downloaded over 18,000 times since without complaint ).

I have never used C++ with web applications but I think it would be much more of a hassle than PHP.

For the newsletter, I recommend using the PHPMailer class because you risk getting many of those emails tagged as SPAM otherwise.
    Brock Ferguson
    Lead Developer, Caribou CMS
    A Subscription/Membership CMS and Ecommerce Platform - FREE Trial

chown linux:users\ /world Hartmann's Avatar
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The actual system doesn't sound too hard to design. I would start out with a list of features that you want. Make the list specific and then from there design the database structure with the information you are going to want to capture. From there you can design the interfaces that you'll need.

For the desktop application you may want to look at Python. There are a lot of GUI libraries for it and it's fairly easy to learn.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, I am sorry, I misunderstood that the C++ was for an application at the golf course. I wondered why you posted this in the PHP forum I also agree that Python would be good to use for the Windows application. It is more of a rapid development language than C++.
    Brock Ferguson
    Lead Developer, Caribou CMS
    A Subscription/Membership CMS and Ecommerce Platform - FREE Trial

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone, anyone else have any ideas?