User Tag List

Thread: Dmoz directory

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dmoz directory

hi, anyone can help my site get into dmoz ? is there a easy method or it will take years :S

If someone has suggest or could help me that will be gr8
    thanx

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy someonewhois's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just offer the editors a few hundred thousand dollars and I'm sure you'll get in.

SitePoint Enthusiast BeauCreative's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you could always apply to become an editor in your category. Just make sure that your sole purpose isnt to get your site listed and then leave.

I did this after my site was in the queue for over 7 months. When I got accepted, I found that there were only 70 unreviewed sites and it only took me about 1-2 hours to get that whole [small] category cleaned up. I also found a lot of dead links in the category that needed to be removed.

Anyways, a lot of editors over a dmoz are less than stellar. If you want to get your site indexed and help dmoz out in the process, I suggest volunteering to be an editor. WAY faster than waiting for some of the editors IMO
    BeauCreative Web Development
    FotoFight Photography Contests
    Engolfed - Link Exchange? Write for us? PM Me.
    datingUpdate | BiographyCollection - Link Exchange? PM Me.

SitePoint Enthusiast resurepus.com's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dmoz sucks... for every website I submitted there it took at least half a year to get approved
    http://www.DesignContest.net - post your webdesign project and many designers will compete for your business. You will pay only when you get the result you are looking for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take a look at http://www.resource-zone.com/ for help. It is the Open Directory Forums

Non-Member bronze trophy geniusgoalie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think your best bet for getting in fast is to become an editor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by resurepus.com
    dmoz sucks... for every website I submitted there it took at least half a year to get approved
    So why do you bother submitting, if it sucks?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't bother, its only a matter of time before the big guys at google (Now a bona fide big business) will drop DMOZ and find a better solution that will make them money by trying to include sites to thier directory instead of turning sites away. I made PR 3 in 5 months and never got into DMOZ. Check out the DMOZ forum and you will read about the horror stories. Although they have some good editors, most are on a power a trip.

Forum Buyer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahh a place to press my DMOZ opinions upon the masses...

DMOZ unfortunately has outlived it's usefulness and it shows. They either need to become a paid listing or shut down completely. It's like the old saying, either (do #2) or get off the pot.

Far too many search engines depend either directly or indirectly on their search results. It is corrupt, flawed and completely inefficient. In these days of e-commerce bliss people's actual livlihoods depend heavily on search results and their traffic! When you complain on their message boards about it (I've never wasted my time doing so but read much of it) all they can come back with is "Well you read the terms you know how long it will take".... "Read the terms"... "When you've been accepted we'll let you know".... and my personal favorite "We're a volunteer only organization"... I've watched perfectly good people ask perfectly good questions and be attacked, ridiculed, banned, or just plain ignored.

Why is it corrupt?
    Simple, though you won't catch anyone publicly admitting it on their forums I've seen SEVERAL (and I mean quite a few over the years) editors flat out admitting (on other forums) they only joined as an editor to accept their own sites and they routinely reject their competitor's sites in their category. Say what you want but this FACT alone is reason enough for something to be done about this very soon!

How is it inneficient?
    Well the fact that it can take years to be accepted should speak for itself. But the fact is when you complain they respond with "we're volunteer only" - Well don't volunteer if you don't have the time. I mean face it, the volunteer system has been proving to us for YEARS now that it...doesn't....work...... No?

Someone tell me how on earth it makes any sense to trust a search database as vital as this to volunteers who don't have to face ANY consequences for their actions? At least if it were a company they would have to face scrutiny and we'd actually have a single point of blame. I don't think there would be a problem with a company having that much power because heck, google does right now.

There's so much more I could say about whats wrong with the system but until I can say "I have a solution that will solve everything" I'll just shut up and leave it to discussion
    Founder/Admin of a pretty decent chat forum
    Download free winterboard themes for your iPhone
    I run sites powered by vbulletin and one about the HTC Jetstream.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone had good luck with them as far as driving additonal traffic to their site?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cla8 -- directly, no. I get a couple of visitors per year from DMoz+clones. It's not even worth talking about. On the other hand, DMoz DOES have SE power that will help rankings, and ultimately give you traffic. So yes, indirectly, it does give traffic.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So it's worth at least submitting your site to, but I shouldn't hold my breathe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Precisely. I submitted a site to it in December, because it obviously can't hurt. I realized two days ago that I was listed. So yeah, it's a handful fo extra links, but nothing I'd get emotional over.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been waiting for almost 2 years... Still not included.
    All emails to the editor are ignored ofcourse.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been waiting for over a year and a half. It's so depressing.
    http://www.kultic.com

Your definitive source for high-end denim and casual wear.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We submitted 2 sites nearly 3 years ago and have never been listed. I applied to be the editor of a catagory and wasn't accepted.

Business Growth *******s, Inc
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably some of you read about my appliances as editor to a small category (-75 sites), with no editors on it.

Personally I had nothing to do with the subject, as it is one of the few I do not 'use' in business.

My appliances came about twice a week, for 3 months long. In that time I have developed a resume that shows my interest, knowledge and experience with the subject. Also I have given full proof that non of my businesses have to do with this subject.

Though of course, I got rejected time after time. I have given up, as they never gave one particular (+ good) reason either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate DMOZ. I applied for them about 4 months ago and they just accepted me recently. But they changed my category to an unrelated category. Going to have to apply to be an editor and fix up the damn categories.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I told you a bit in my first reply, I do not think you will get accepted.

Might do the trick when you are a friend of one of those supervisors.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ..and you were right! I got rejected within 2 minutes. Didn't even mention my website and wrote a really persuasive description/bio thing that they request. Oh well, dmoz is screwed up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hehe, thanks for telling me I am right, I absolutely love that.

Well they say that they need someone who does not run or is in a business, has great knowledge of the particular subject, and available for quite some time.

At the moment I applied, I was able to fullfil those three points, but I was never accepted. Even with a full resume of over 5 pages!