User Tag List

Thread: php username?

SitePoint Enthusiast LobsterMan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question php username?

i managed to get chmod to work on the instalation of php on my computer (mac os x, apache, php 5) only if the user is www (safe mode is OFF) but i want this script to work on any computer of server, is there a function to find out who the php user is on that server? is there a way to find out what the current user is so the script can set the ownership back to normal after editing the file, i'm trying to make a simple script to edit and create files on my server online, any other suggestions how to do this?
    the script won't work at all on my host (linux, apache, php4) and i'm assuming this is also the problem, i'm a php newbie, so please be patiant with me .
    thanks in advance!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can see name of the current user in php through $_ENV['LOGNAME'] and current group name is available through $_ENV['GROUP'].

SitePoint Enthusiast LobsterMan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks, but does this give me the php username or the the un for a file? how do i use it?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It gives you name of the user that runs webserver (usually apache or nobody).
    how do i use it?
    It depends on what you need 8) If you've got any problems with your scripts - post here your errors or any more information or I can't give you any help without it.