SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

********* Callithumpian silver trophy freakysid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Configure options PHP

I have only ever set up PHP as an apache module on Linux from the Nusphere bundle available at www.nusphere.com Brilliant bundle. Can't recommend it enough as a quick way of getting a server up and going. However, I now need to recompile PHP to include support for DB3 (the BerkeleyDB version 3.2). I have already recompiled my stand-alone php binary (so that I could test out the concept I was developing - see my posts in Server Side forum if you want to know).

The question is what configure options do you recomment for a good functioning php binary. I know of the obvious ones (listed below) but what else should I include or consider including in the configure command. So far I have:

--with-apache=/usr/local/nupshere/apache
    --with-mysql=/usr/local/nusphere/mysql
    --with-db3=/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.3.2
    --enable-track-vars

Anything else (btw, at this moment I don't need XML support - does it make any difference whether I do or don't compile things like this in?).

Dumb PHP codin' cat
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sid,

You won't want to use --with-apache if you are compiling as a binary. It won't make any difference which ones you compile in, just make sure not compile with server support, or it no longer becomes a standalone binary. A couple of configure options you will want to look at when compiling a binary are:

--enable-force-cgi-redirect

and you may want to include
    --enable-sockets

In fact here is the configure command I used last week to make a binary.

./configure --with-mysql=/usr/local/mysql --enable-xml --without-gd --enable-sockets --enable-track-vars --enable-trans-sid --enable-force-cgi-redirect
    Please don't PM me with questions.
    Use the forums, that is what they are here for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, I got things muddled up I'm confusing things with this term binary.

1) I have already recompiled my standalone binary php server/CGI whatever you call it version that However, your configuration is interesting and has been noted. Any reason for specifying --without-gd ? This is an ancient linux db format right?

2) What I am now going to recompile is the mod_php version. This is more important to me and I want to get it micky-mouse!

Dumb PHP codin' cat
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah.. right right. I normally use ImageMagick for image stuff, so I leave GD off, I found it was huge pain in the rear to get everything installed that I needed for GD to run successfully so I just didn't include it. As for the mod_php deal here is my usual configure line

./configure --with-mysql=/usr/ --with-pgsql --with-apxs=/usr/local/apache/bin/apxs --enable-xml --with=zlib=/usr/local/lib/ --without-gd --enable-sockets --enable-track-vars --enable-trans-sid --with-curl=/usr/local

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply. I am a goose. I just went and recompiled without including --with-db3=/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.3.2 which was the whole purpose of the recompile

Regarding gd of course the image library (I was confusing it with gdbm database). Could you please explain what curl is? Thanks.

Dumb PHP codin' cat
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its a library to access cURL functions. cURL is a file transfer program that allows you to make secure socket connections through https and pass data back and forth, it also has many other features. Check it out at
    http://curl.haxx.se/