Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SitePoint Wizard silver trophy someonewhois's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Offline Promotion

Hi,

I've seen a few threads around this forum about offline promotion, but not very many.

How many people here actually use offline promotion? If you do, what sorts of things? The standard of wearing tshirts, hats, etc. with your brand/URL on it is standard, but do any of you get creative? What about TV/Radio?

I'm looking to get into offline promotion for a site I'm working on right now. I'd love to hear your stories in detail. Thanks.

- Nathan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We expect some word of mouth.
    Also we tell users that they should point people to their ads on our site, since our site is new and doesn't have the popularity it deserves yet.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Send family and friends emails / newsletters on a regular basis and ask them to forward them to their families and friends.
    nondenominational, noncommercial, nonprofit,
    listener-supported, 24-hour, Christian ministry:
    Listen Live Online

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some stores may have bulletin boards that you can advertise things.That's something that I thought about.I haven't been out to look yet though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can try sticking posters around the city you live in

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    offline ad costs much,it depends on how much u can afford,tv/radio/newspaper is the best way to ad ur site

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd suggest you should define your target group first. For many sites offline promotion is useless waste of money and time. And if the target group is big enough, just use those methods and messages you can reach it.

Case studies are doing well. But if your website is devoted to methods of reparing irons, I think, it would be stupid to walk around the streets with something like www.repare-your-iron-yourself.info on your T-shirt

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy someonewhois's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Al,

Yeah, I know. It'd be even stupider to go around advertising learn-to-make-a-website.biz offline, too. I have a nice short domain name (seven letters, two short words directly related), and the target audience is definitely offline.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The easiest way to get the word out about your site is simply to make up some business cards, but you must first have a clear plan of how you will get your business cards into the hands of targeted customers.
    -- Jeremy Maddock
    SEOMix.com - Search Engine Optimization Tips
    My Blog - Business, tech, and politics from a webmaster's perspective

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eF.
    You can try sticking posters around the city you live in
    Or in your Highschool if you are still in it .

Boys Dpbvids.com Room

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A couple I have done with mixed results:

- Sponsored a softball team
    This didn't have wide-spread effectiveness but it wasn't my total intent. It was a friend's team and they needed a sponsor. I helped them out there and got a little advertising out of it. In the end, I did get my sponsor money back plus a little extra but the client was actually a parent of one of the players instead of a spectator. But, a client is a client, thus I'd say it wasn't too bad of a deal.

- Joined my local chamber of commerce
    This is one that works for some and doesn't for others. Personally, it didn't work for me. I didn't have the time to dedicate to it. Basically, you give your input at the meetings and such and (in turn) can talk with many businesses in the area about your services. An old associate of mine was very good with this as she got a lot of clients from the meetings and word of mouth from each.

I'd like to try more, but just haven't had the time lately.
    Kevin Hauge : Modern Leaf Design : Follow Us on Facebook
    Client Axis v.08 - client / project management script

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WealthStream
    The easiest way to get the word out about your site is simply to make up some business cards, but you must first have a clear plan of how you will get your business cards into the hands of targeted customers.
    Good idea. Keep your friends and family loaded up with a stack of cards. You never know who they will meet that mentions how they are thinking of creating a website. Your friends and family can be your cheapest and most faithful salesmen / marketing director.
    nondenominational, noncommercial, nonprofit,
    listener-supported, 24-hour, Christian ministry:
    Listen Live Online

The Mind's I ® silver trophy Dark Tranquility's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used some:
    - free stuff to distribute with URL on it (pens, pencils, mousepads, mugs...)
    - Newspapers and Magazines
    - flyers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ive looked into advertising in a few mags, but its far to expensive im taking in the $1/2K range

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For my business I have printed a few thousand leaflets and visited local businesses and talked through with them what I can offer them and if they are interested give them a leaflet/ business card.

It has proved quite successful. Another way would be to call up companies that may be interested in your product or service although the conversion rate isn't too high it seems to work for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i am thinking of advertising my sites using offline methods. i am currently exploring which way would be the best to go and would work out the best for my type of sites.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the easiest (and most effective) ways to get your site out there is to make sure it's on every piece of communication (letter, e-mail, business card, envelope, invoice, catalog, whatever) you send out of your business.

Where I work (at a car dealership), we've always sent out letters to customers that hadn't been in in a certain amount of time reminding them of our services and that they may need some scheduled maintenance. In this letter we explained our services, how they prolonged vehicle life, and how in some cases they were necessary for warranty coverage down the road. In recent time, we've added a paragraph reminding customers that they can schedule their service appointments at our website, talk to a tech online, and review their warranty. Since we just started this recently, there's no official numbers yet, but we are seeing a significant increase in website traffic and appointments scheduled with the form. This is a good example of how some of the best advertising is what you already do...

-heather

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My friend made some really nice bookmarks and inserted them in books of a local bookstore. (with the blessing of the owner) Of course, he inserted those bookmarks in book related to the subject of his website.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I had my candle site going and selling locally at craft shows, I would use samples to give out to people with magnet business cards. This came in handy when giving samples to florist, as they could put the magnet card on their cold cases. One of the best things I ever did was to send a very nice smaple basket to a local radio station with a funny card saying something like, I know how much your cohost smells, so this should help. Great for morning radio stations where they are always zinging each other. Then they feel they need to read the letter and plug me at the same time. I had great results with that. Been trying to get on Delila at night, but they are quite big, it would be like trying to get on howard stern in the morning. Just not going to happen unless my product is stellar and unique.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Printed balloons are great giveaways if your site name is short enough to fit on them with a small description.

if you run a site aimed at familys , all the better.

I like the idea of magnets as well, people collect them on their fridge.
    I know they work as my wife got a magnet with a 10% off code for a online jewellery store and as well as using it herself she has given it to two friends who have used the store.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am active in several volunteering groups. Quite often, I volunteer to be the webmaster and ask if it would be okay to add a link from their site to mine.

Business cards. Hand them out whenever you can. If your website is relevant to a scientific crowd, go to the local library and put your cards in all the books relevant to your subject. For example, if your site is about food, put a business card in all the recipe books. Better yet, have some bookmarks printed regarding your site and put THOSE in the books.

Post ads around the local university.

Have some pens made with your site URL printed on it. Most companies market themselves this way. And pens are inexpensive. Order 1000, and drop them off at targeted locations. Same with calendars and stationery.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DuncanM
    Business cards. Hand them out whenever you can. If your website is relevant to a scientific crowd, go to the local library and put your cards in all the books relevant to your subject. For example, if your site is about food, put a business card in all the recipe books. Better yet, have some bookmarks printed regarding your site and put THOSE in the books.
    OMG

Did you actually go and do that? Spam librabry books with ads or biz cards lol. I love the idea, did you get any results?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spam librabry books with ads or biz cards
    Hey maybe off-line spam works - thats funny

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's another one:

Make some of those translucent plastic ads, that stick in your car's rear windshield by static. I don't know what they are called, but you see them everywhere, those things that say "University of X". Apparently, everybody wants to show off where they went to school.

Get some of those made, get a few people you know to put them in their cars.

Driving to and from work each day in stop-and-go traffic, I am hoping a few people might get a kick out of it and remember to look it up the next time they sit down in front of their computers. Maybe one day a local TV man will see it and mention it on air (in my dreams!). Plus, if you park in the university parking lot, malls, libraries, etc. all those pedestrians see it.

Regards,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    >> I love the idea, did you get any results?

I couldn't tell. The results of offline marketing are slow, and long-term (unless you do a HUGE mail-out). Unlike getting a link on a website, which provides instantaneous results and are trackable.

Regards,