Thread: shifting page

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

shifting page

www.noeink.com/jb

The above site has 2 pages(products and contact) that seem to move to the left in Firefox(win),Opera(win), and Safari(mac) but not IE(win). Does anyone have any idea why?

Thanks in advace
    NOEINK
    <Think Without Ink>

SitePoint Wizard gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy dc dalton's Avatar
    Right behind you, watching, always watching.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I matched them up on my machine and they look like they are exactly in the same spot to me!

CSS & JS/DOM Adept bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't see any shift either.

*sigh* You are a graphic artist who doesn't seem to understand that web design is very different from print design.

Dreamweaver and other WYSIWYG editors create junk code.
    http://validator.w3.org/check?verbos...noeink.com/jb/

I think this page speaks for it self. (scroll to the bottom)
    We miss you, Dan Schulz.
    Learn CSS. | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator
    Dynamic Site Solutions
    Code for Firefox, Chrome, Safari, & Opera, then add fixes for IE, not vice versa.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the input and the links to the optimizer. I have reduced the number of errors in the validator to 4, which I do not know how to fix. Any help would be great.

BTW, I am a developer who has a client who is a print designer that won't listen to me about the difference b/w web and print design and forces me to hack html to match up their layouts. I have spent many hours 1) trying to convince them what the difference is and 2) after getting a "I don't care, make it look like this" mix match CSS and tables and spacer images. Unfortunately, we keep winning design awards (which makes them happy) and it forces me to continue along this road to bad web page development. Luckily this is only one client and for the most part, my other sites are designed by web designers that know the difference and allow me to utilize effecient development.

Besides the hacking of tables and CSS, are there any other problems with the code?

Thanks again
    NOEINK
    <Think Without Ink>

CSS & JS/DOM Adept bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At least you understand that there's a difference in design technique (I can't think of a better word for it at the moment) between the two media.

http://www.456bereastreet.com/archiv...le_attributes/

There's nothing else exactly wrong with your code. However, I would suggest that sometimes there are better ways to position elements than with tables and absolute positioning and that it's better to not use px as the unit for font size, since some browsers will not resize the text in that case, which is an accessability issue.

Floats can often do the job nicely and are simpler. Unfortunately the best articles that I've found that explain how floats work are now pay-per-read, so I'll just give you this link instead. http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visuren.html

Why tables for layout is stupid
    Why avoiding tables (for layout) is important
    We miss you, Dan Schulz.
    Learn CSS. | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator
    Dynamic Site Solutions
    Code for Firefox, Chrome, Safari, & Opera, then add fixes for IE, not vice versa.