SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Two Questions/Problems

Hello all. I have a client who is trying to do some "different" stuff and I'm not sure how to go about these things.

1) He has a Access database that needs to be converted to MySQL. How does one go about that? The only references I found here involved ODBC, which is not an option for this client. Is there a way to do this by going around that?

2) To make matters more complicated, this client wants to use FrontPage 2000 to connect to his MySQL database. PHP, of course, is available. But I couldn't find much info on this here in the archives and I wasn't sure what to search for at PHP.net. Has anyone ever attempted, or better yet - succeeded at doing this?

As always, I'm grateful for any help anyone can give. Thanks!!!!!

Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Little help

I'm not sure what you mean when you say that odbc is not a option for your client, since the odbc connection is etablished between MS Access and the MySQL-DB (so it's not your cllient who uses the odbc connection at this point. Maybe later while connecting to the MySQL, depending on the System your running the client on), but if you simply want to install your Access-tables on the mysql-host with all the content without ODBC, you could create the Tablestructure in the MySQL "by hand", export the Data from the AccessTable as .csv-Data, an read this .csv-File into your MySQL-DB with the "Load Data Infile" - Syntax.
    Footbag: Spread the Spirit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alternatively, can't you use myodbc and myaccess? to convert from ms access to mysql?

More information, see mysql.com

********* Callithumpian silver trophy freakysid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are changing over from access to mySQL you can do something along these lines; create tables in mySQL to relect the schema of the access database. Export the access database data into CSV files (one per table). Then load the data from them into the mySQL database using LOAD INFILE (I think) which you can read about in the manual at www.mysql.com

Regarding frontpage support for php - I don't want to know about it (shudder)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And also regarding the frontpage support. Excuse me while I spew outside. Frontpage is for school when they force you to use it when doing the "Web2" unit of computing. Or rather, you just add the generator tags to your hand written site before the teacher sees your page.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone.

Personally, I think FrontPage ranks right up there with Spam in my book of annoyances. But several of my clients do use FP - in the hosting world it is a necessary evil to deal with all of the problems.

As for the ODBC part, it isn't an option because we won't open the connection for him - unless it is the only way to do this.

So I have a good idea now about converting the database, but does anyone else have any idea how to get Frontpage to work with MySQL?

Thanks again,

Mark

Dumb PHP codin' cat
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do you mean Frontpag working with MySQL. Frontpage doesn't have a database tool that I am aware of, and for hosting purposes the only reason someone would use frontpage is because they are lame and can't figure out how to use a real FTP client. I know how you feel, we have several clients who insist on using FP, so I had to pull my hair out for a week getting Fp Extensions up and running on one of our Linux boxes.

So back to the orig question at hand. What does the client think he is gonna do to a MySQL database through frontpage, like I said before as far as I know, accessing remote databases is not a function FP does.

As for the Access -> MySQL I highly suggest, as others have, that you look at MyAccess, it will build the tables in MySQL for you and transfer the data.
    Please don't PM me with questions.
    Use the forums, that is what they are here for.