User Tag List

Thread: Review wanted

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Review wanted

This site I made for an interior plant company, the companies URL will be up shortly. Just like to know what u think.
    Russ

http://www.sites.ecosse.net/stuprop/

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do actually like the lime green colors different and catchie.

The 3 top text " interior planet display" are not too clear kinda hard on them there eyes. makes me think I need glasses

The music is nice I am one who likes music on site.

little more content would be nice also.

keep up the hard work and the best of luck!

Sincerely,
    Donna Dimor
    Business Development/ Chief Administration Officer
    http://www.1nameonly.com
    ddimor@1nameonly.com
    Keynames: Simplify Your URL's www.1nameonly.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    specs: 1024x768x24bit using a 56k modem
    browsers used: IE5.5

okay, I may start off by saying that in my personal opinion the two most annoying things on websites are pop-up/under(s) and music. It can only put your visitors off if they visit the site again and listen to the same tune when they last visited.

You should probably change the contact us link to Email us or something, when I enter a link labeled contact us, I usually expect a page with relevant contact details.

Also, the description bit below the menu could do they more content, for example rolling over the 'our services' link describes it as 'The services we provide', just doesn't give it alot of meaning.

I agree with frapacinno, with the three headings, you could probably change it into one logo. That way it would catch the visitors eye better.

The website is good, with good content in the links, loaded fast for me on the 56k modem, but the lime green background doesn't give me the impression of a professional company.

But keep up the good work, it's getting to be a nice site.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Review

russ567, I think you should ditch the splash page and detect whether or not the visitor has flash installed. If flash is not installed, then you could display the "get flash or else" page.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, I have to agree with pretty much everything that neil said, so I won't go over that stuff again.

First off, the entrance page with the flash and Enter button... I think you should have the title of the site on it at least. Maybe even a little more, like a pic or something.
    Because when you first get there.... well, you might not be sure you're on the right site. If people are searching through a directory of Plant site links, and click on yours... they want to know if they've found the right site on or not. They don't want to have to click another link to find out.

Second, that drop shadow on the address at the bottom really needs to be reduced a bit. A little shadow goes a long way. Once the shadow starts to fall behind the letters below it, it just looks... uhhmm.. odd.
    That's if you really want the shadow. Personally, I think a more solid looking font would go even further, without the shadow.

And finally... yes, that green. Certainly is bright and... neon.
    I don't really have anything against it personally, but it is true that it really isn't the most professional looking. That being said, you don't really have to remove it completely. Possibly just tone it down some. Like... the menu, or the header could have the green background. And the rest white.. or a less piercing green or something.
    I'm not sure how best to describe it... but basically, just some green here and there, or in a particular place, or places.

Some other things... the flash on the About Us page... way too slow. I think people in general like to be in control of their text, with a scroll bar or something. So they can read at their own pace. I have a hard time waiting for the text to scroll on it's own.

And that flash on the Clients page... awesome!! Looks great. I love the pic transitions, and the quality of those pics. I'm on a T1, so it loads up fine. You might want to get the opinion of a 56K user tho, cause pics in flash can be a tad slow to load at times. But if it's alright... then please keep it!

Oh, and one more thing.. you might want to consider putting a "Home" link a the top of that menu. I know there's not much on the home page anyway, but there should still be a way to get back to that page at all times.

Stuart Duncan
    www.Logiforms.com
    stu@logiforms.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanx

Thanx to those who checked my site. I will take on board what u say. Personally I like the green, I get so bored visiting "white " sites. And unfortunately the content comes from the company so its hard for me to pad it out.
    I agree with the comments on the index page tho.

Russ
    Last edited by russ567; Jun 15, 2001 at 20:04.

SitePoint Zealot strangealienmagic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IE5.0
    1024 x 768

Very nice site. I do agree with most the suggestions that have already been made.

I like a green background too, but how about a green that's just a bit more sophisticated / corporate looking. Maybe a tiny pattern?

If you don't want to get rid of the sound altogether, at least give the visitor a way to turn it off.

The large pictures of planters and plants are pretty much the same size and load into blank white pages. How about loading them into popups, making it easy for clients to do comparisons?

On the Types of Plants page, the Artificial Plants description seems like kind of an afterthought. Seems like it needs to be moved either up or down.

There is quite a large gap on the Our Services page between the "Consultancy and Design"and "Leasing" sections.

Looks really nice overall, and the Our Clients page Flash is excellent.

Yugo full of anvils bronze trophy hillsy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Russ,

I like it. A bit different

Only problem I have is that in NS 4 the menu (About Us, Why Use Plants etc) appears in the middle of the page, over top of half your Flash presentation.
    that's me!
    Now A Pom. And a Plone Nut
    Broccoli Martinez Airpark

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having a difficult time here, site makes my eyes hurt. First I'd consider toning down the lime green, its a bit to bright and a difficult colour choice for most people, not a popular one.

The blurring in text is also very hard on the eyes, either speed it up so it happens quicker or tone down the blurring effect.

The menu is odd, I to have it in the top middle (over the images) and it doesn't seem to work well for me. When I hover over a link, it take a long time for a second box to appear and that box vanished before I got a chance to see what was in it.

One other thing, what is it demanding I download to see your page? Happens each time, is that the music? If this is a commercial site, I'd say dump the music, music and business don't often mix well unless it's a high end flash site.

Is this flash or shockwave? Either way I think you need to improve it considerably, its jumpy and slow to act on command.
    Raven Bren
    NS 4.75, 800x600-1024x768, T1 cable, Win "98

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The bgcolor is always greener on the other side of the monitor

hey russ567 - another way to add that color without having it be so pronounced is to use it as a border - I guess there is a way to stop the music (hitting the pause button on the player in the upper-left corner), but maybe it should be more obvious - since there seems to be a fairly strong vote against music in a site of this type, perhaps you should instead give viewers a button to play it, leaving it up to them - yeah, I use N4 myself and that menu is not located properly - also, when you resize in N, styled elements (I think) will typically start to break into a vertical column - this can be avoided by adding
    Code:
    onresize="if(n)location.reload();"
    to the BODY tag - finally, on About Us, is this: "our team have" correct? - I don't think this is a case of one of those collective nouns - anyway, I love plants and your site made me feel good!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    using: IE6 on a 56K connection at 1600x1200.

First thing, if this company is serious about doing business, *do not* require the Flash plugin. Even though I have it installed, if given a choice I would probably choose the non-flash option just cause that's the way I am.

Lose (or make a lot closer to the letters) the drop-shadow on the letters.

Java and Flash = not good for a slow computer (processor speed, not connection speed). Luckily I had no problems, but there will probably be a lot of people who do. Is the Java menu totally necessary? Can it be redone as mouseover images? Just things to think about.

The images across the top, with the company name 3x and the images in between: IMHO it would look a lot better with the name once with pics on either side of it, or integrated into it (as some sort of logo).

On the about us page, clicking on the scrolling text takes me to a non-related German site. Not good. Also if possible slow down the scroll a little; English is my first language and I've been reading it since I was 5 and I still had a little trouble keeping up.

The good things: Fast loading, mainly clean looking, good color combos, easily-readable text.

Overall 6.5/10. Just a few things here and there and it'd be perfect.
    Kevin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    try this for an excellent green color. You should be able to leave the black text, although i'm not sure. Also, you could always try a green border with rounded corners (there's an article on this at SitePoint). The color I would suggest would be:
    Code:
    #00975A
    Also, check out amazon.com's colors. They're psycologically chosen, I think (saw some article somewhere, but could be wrong). Anyways, they look nice.

Hope this helps.
    Sean Killeen [LinkedIn] [Twitter] [Web]

Warning: Reality.sys corrupted. Universe halted. Reboot? (Y/N)

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm using IE6 on Win2000. I browse with images off. As a result, I compltly miss the contact information at the bottom of the page.

The music is very unprofessional. A general rule of thumb is to look at Yahoo and Amazon and do liekt they do because they spend thousands of dollars on usability studies to ensure that their sites are the easiet to access. Learn from their example.

Finally, you need to provide <alt> text for all of the images. For example, the headings at the top of the page are blank and I don't know what the page title is without them.

Additionally, your page titles that appear in the head of the Windows need to include the name of the company on them instead of simply "services", it should be "Services - Name of your company". (I'm still nto really sure what it is since I don't have Flash or images. I saw the acronym IPD ... )

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with most of what people have said. Music is just unprofessional on a site period. 90% of the time I'm listening to MP3's on my computer, or watching the news while I browse. Anything that forceably interrupts that annoys me. I'm sure there are a lot of people like that out there. Also, I wouldn't use JAVA. Mouseovers are very easy to do, and take 1/2 the time to load. As for the flash... to me it looks like you just got started in flash. Everyone has to start somewhere but for a business website, I think I would want something a little more professional.

The name/logo appears three times at the top of the page... redundant. From a design perspective, you use three types of fonts - serif, sans-serif and script. I would use one.... possibly two at the most.

take a look at this website. it was reviewed not too long ago. I'd have to say that it is the best integration of flash and html for a corporate business website that I have seen...

http://www.wanadu.com/

I hope I haven't been too harsh. Good luck with the site!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

might be a slight error in the HTML

when I visited that site and hit
    [click here to learn more]
    it crashed my N4.7 browser

Former Staff Member silver trophy Adam P.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey!

I am only 14, but have become very interested in web design.

My personal site is www.geocities.com/adampolselli just so that you can see what I am capable of.

If you would like, I am willing to do a free re-design of the site if you would like. I'm just tring to get in some experience, so I'm not worried about money. I could just do a homepage and if you like it, I would do more. Contact me at swimm5001@yahoo.com if you're interested :-)
    SPF Mentor/Advisor 2001-2003
    SPF Designer of the Year 2002
    SPF Graphic Designer of the Year 2003
    AdamPolselli.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Critique on Interior Plant Website

I viewed the site using a Pentium II, IE, 600 x 800 screen, 56K modem and what else? Not sure what else to add for reference, sorry.

Since the site deals with interior plants and they are green after all, the color of the green background doesn't bother me like it does some of the other reviewers. Sure, if the company doesn't mind, tone it down a bit but it's not offensive to me.

My vote is also to dump the music, I too listen to my CDs while surfing the Net and am irritated when sound bombards me from a website. BTW, I couldn't find the Off switch, so I turned off the music from my own computer monitor.

Refering to the name of the company by using initials doesn't help me, rather it confuses me. My suggestion would be to spell out the name out completely.

There seemed to be a lot of blank space between the pictures and discriptions on the "Services" page. Maybe you might try bullets first, then pictures right beside the service?

I too had problems reading the words in motion, took me several times to figure out that this was Scotland's best and finest landscape company, or whatever the quote was.

The shadows on the address didn't bother me much either, maybe it's because my monitor is good or something with my computer resolution? Pictures all loaded quickly, I understood what message the company was presenting and the explanations were thorough, navigation was find although I don't care for mouse hoover words for the navigation bars. Personal user preference here only.

All in all, I thought it was pretty good. I am by no means an expert, just a "regular Joe" presenting my opinion from a laymen's point of view.

The Wicker Woman/Cathryn Peters
    http://www.wickerwoman.com