SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Recycle Bin issues

I configured the Windows (2000) Recycle bin to use the D:\ drive (the drive that Windows 2000) is on as the only drive to use for the Recycle bin. I didn't want the other partitions to be used as the recycle bin.

This has always worked fine for me, but when I applied the change a few days ago, I noticed that nothing was going to the Recycle Bin anymore. I figured it was gone anyway, so there was no need to worry about it.

But this morning, I noticed I only had a few megabytes (of my 6 GB partition) left. I looked for a directory that had a lot of used space, and found that the contents of my recycle bin were going to d:\Documents and Settings\Aidan Bahta\Local Settings\Temp rather than the recycle bin itself.

I changed the setting to allow other partitions to be used as Recycle Bin space, and this restored the functionality of the Recycle bin.

Questions:
    - Can I safely delete the contents of that folder? There are folders with whacky names like "{44f76255-8026-4f86-9105-39d2b90f9g8d}" and "_ISTMP1.DIR" I would leave it alone, but it is taking up nearly 4 GB of my small partition.

- What should I do to keep the Recycle Bin on my d:\ drive but not put them in that directory? I am not sure...this hasn't happened to me before (I am pretty sure about that).

Thanks

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can't have the recycle bin on just one drive if you intend to use it as recycle bin for all drives in the system. Every drive must have its own recycle bin, or none (0 MB).
    www.nyanko.ws - My web-, software- and game development company.
    www.mayaposch.com - My personal site and blog.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks.