SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Elledan posted an interesting solution to the evolutionary problems of the human species, but on a purely scientific note, I don't believe that we are very close to obtaining the technology to know who should breed with whom. And beyond the psychological and social problems, there is the problem of corruption that will invariably occur.

I'm of the belief that humanity is actually devolving, as a result of socio-economic breeding tendencies. In an upper class family, the marginal cost of a child is very high (say $100,000 for missing the 9 months of work, plus child-rearing costs of time and money), whereas for a lower class family, the marginal cost might be only $10,000 for missing 9 months of work, which is offset by the welfare gains that an extra child brings in. The economic result is that lower class families produce many more children than upper class families, although upper class families will generally possess more desireable genetic traits.

This social trend also perpetuates the concentration of money and power in a small number of individuals in the upper class. In order to aid the evolution of humanity and also distribute money more equally, we need to give extra incentive to upper class families to produce more children, and less incentive to lower class families.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by TWTCommish
    I thought Guinness was #2...
    I was under the impression that it was Diary of Anne Frank (or maybe that was most translated languages)?

Any idea if there is any set "rules" on this kind of thing for non god believers?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Anarchos
    I think Elledan posted an interesting solution to the evolutionary problems of the human species, but on a purely scientific note, I don't believe that we are very close to obtaining the technology to know who should breed with whom. And beyond the psychological and social problems, there is the problem of corruption that will invariably occur.

I'm of the belief that humanity is actually devolving, as a result of socio-economic breeding tendencies. In an upper class family, the marginal cost of a child is very high (say $100,000 for missing the 9 months of work, plus child-rearing costs of time and money), whereas for a lower class family, the marginal cost might be only $10,000 for missing 9 months of work, which is offset by the welfare gains that an extra child brings in. The economic result is that lower class families produce many more children than upper class families, although upper class families will generally possess more desireable genetic traits.

This social trend also perpetuates the concentration of money and power in a small number of individuals in the upper class. In order to aid the evolution of humanity and also distribute money more equally, we need to give extra incentive to upper class families to produce more children, and less incentive to lower class families.
    I disagree. I see little to no value in Elledan's suggestions. They are simply not practical -- people will not stand for such constrictive practices...at least not for long. People need freedom in certain areas, and the ability to marry freely is one of them in most cases.

Not only that, but class can easily be a poor measure of genetic superiority. I was born into a poor family, but I still have high hopes for the future. If anything, education for the lower class is what's truly needed here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I know that Elledan's ideas are entirely impractical, but I find them interesting in the area of genetics and evolution.

And you're probably right about money not being a good measure of superiority, but I still think that a modification of incentive would be good from the distribution of wealth perspective.

will code HTML for food Michel V's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People, am I the only one shocked by your homophobic thoughts (as if homosexuality could only be pictured by the actual sexual act), and the belief that upper class people are more likely to have better genetic traits.

The latter is just rubbish. How can money influence the genes ? I'm sorry I've met a lot of beautiful intelligent people in the lower classes who struggle everyday to afford their food, and a bunch of ugly morons in the upper class whose lives are easy since their family is "naturally" rich.

Do you guys have ethics and respect ?
    [blogger: zengun] [blogware contributor: wordpress]

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First, the 'solution' I posted has nothing to do with nazism. It's not about making one race superior to all others, but to get rid of genetic defects on the most effective way. If you can't understand that, you're part of the majority: people who stick to a mix of old and obsolete ideals, theories and ideas.

Second, again the effect of Christian propaganda clearly shows its ugly head. Humans weren't made in the image of any god(s). If you truly believe that, you need counseling.

Third, Humans are indeed devolving. Because we no longer have to face hardships and extreme conditions in our environment, the Human body gets weaker and loses everything it ever aquired to survive. With our warm and cozy houses, A/C, no need to hunt or search for food or to spend hours on creating tools and clothes and zero natural enemies (predators. Except ourselves), we see the evolution of the Human race kick off again, but this time it's following a totally different path.
    Weaker jaws, a downgraded digestion system, a weaker skeleton, an increase in auto-immune diseases and asthma in especially the rich countries are all signs of this 'devolution'.

If we continue this way of living, after a few thousand years, the Human race will have turned into physically totally inferior creatures, with as only strength its intellect.

That is, unless we've become extinct before that time (genetical defects, virus, meteorite, nuclear winter etc.).
    www.nyanko.ws - My web-, software- and game development company.
    www.mayaposch.com - My personal site and blog.

********* Callithumpian silver trophy freakysid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Elleden, have you read Aldous Huxley's "Brave New World" - I'm wondering whether he won a nobel prize for literature for it? Anyway, in his futuristic novel eugenics is practiced with one twist. Like queen bees are able to practice eugenics to keep the right balance of drones, workers, etc for her hive, so too is this the case in Huxley's "Brave New Word" where a appropriate balance of alpha, beta, etc classes are maintained. Don't forget we need to keep the proletariate for the menial jobs.

The problem that people are pointing out with your scheme for eugenics is that it may be a logical idea in theory but how will it be practiced? Will it be the end of art and music because the genius insane will be bread out of the race? Further, who decides what constitutes a good genetic make-up? Who arbitrates this scheme? Let me guess, the rich and those able to succeed to power! It is misguided to conclude that humans are at the most dominant species purely because of their intellect. It is a combination of intellect and agression that made the homo sapien win out over the other homo species. Some scientists have speculated whether their may not have been more intelligent species than man but man won dominance and killed them out because of superior aggression. If we reflect on the state of the world and the species we can ponder to what degree intelligence wins out over aggression or vise-versa.

Regarding the direction the human gene pool is heading, I have a theory that it will go one of two ways.

1) The gene pool continues to diversify because man has removed the effects of nature on maintaining its strength through natural selection. If this is the case then what nature is doing is setting itself up for the next major evolutionary cycle. And the timing may be just right too! The fossil evidence shows that evolution has been far from constant over time. Rather the evolution of species remains very slow and regular most of the time except for periods when there has been revolutionary and rapid evolution and the rise and fall of species in short spurts. You are correct in saying that the lack of environmental pressure slows the rate of evolution. But what this affords nature to do is to diversify the gene bank because more and more mutations are able to survive. It has been proven that the rate of mutation will increase in a speicies as a result of environmental preasures. Perhaps for humans these the preasures of polution and toxins in the environment and the mutations they cause in bacteria and viruses will bring forth epidemics that will place the human species under considerable crisis in the future. When this happens, nature will have a broad gene bank to select from because of all the mutations that have been allowed to survive due to a lack of natural selection preasures. Mutations can occur rapidly and on a broad front and natural selection will see the evolution of new species and perhaps the demise of the homo sapien.

2) In the short term, what is happening and will continue to happen is that man himself will increasingly alter the gene pool through genetic therapy and engineering. In this case man intervenes and manages the gene pool directly by modifying the genes of the embryo.

Finally, the fundamental philosophy behind much science, innovation and the general culture of the western world appears to be firmly entrenched in the Greek tradition of the seperation of mind and body (notably Plato). The body is but a vehicle for the mind in this way of thinking. Thus as civilization "progreseses" man becomes more and more detached from the natural world and his mind is freed to engage further in the abstract. To some scientific minds, the ultimate evolution will be the complete seperation of the mind from the body and perhaps even the material. Such is the thinking of the artificial intelligence enthusiasts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well said, freakysid!

Regarding the rest of the issues in this thread here is my humble opinion:
    People may do whatever they want as long as their actions aren’t hurting anybody else. That means that two (or more) adults may have a homosexual relationship, live in polygamy, have premarital sex or spank each other after dinner if that makes them happy. What they are doing shouldn’t concern ANYBODY else but them.
    Those who believe in God and think that those activities are sinful can enjoy the thought about how God will punish these people. Just remember that “God” usually punishes those who think bad things about others…

What we need right now is people that are satisfied with their lives. Let everybody find happiness in his or her own way!

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    freakysid, good post, but I've got a few points:

First, I never mentioned getting rid of all and every single genetic defect to make the Human genome 'perfect', so there won't be a world like in 'brave new world' (I read the book). Especially not because the ideas and technology used in this book are either totally unrealistic or obsolete. But that is more off-topic.

Second, nearly all of the mutations caused by pollution/chemical waste etc. are negative, and will never be useful. This is quite logical, because evolution doesn't work like this. Random mutations would be a very inefficient way to let a species evolve.
    We'll first have to discover what 'powers' evolution before we can come to a conclusion.

Third, genetical engineering will only be temporarily be used on Humans. Seeing how rapidly cybernetics is progressing, we'll have fully working cybernetic limbs and organs ready before the end of this century. DNA will become obsolete, and with it most of the weaknesses of the Human body, of which many never can be 'corrected' by use of genetical engineering, will be gone, including the threat pollution and viruses are to us right now.
    www.nyanko.ws - My web-, software- and game development company.
    www.mayaposch.com - My personal site and blog.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I neither agree or disagree with polygamy. It was obviously in the Bible, but the main instances of it were Solomon's court. But keep in mind that Scholars believe the Solomon wrote Ecclesiastes in which the writer tires of worldy things (women).

Beisdes, I think that trying to handle more than one wife would be too difficult. I would not want to diffuse the love I have to offer by spread it among more than one woman.

As for the "Be fruitful and multiply" passage in the Bible, when that was written there were orders of magnitude less people on the planet and God wanted people around. Children are still a blessing, but I don't believe that God wants people to have child after child after child. There are some exceptions of course.
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shin Ma: do not wield such words (homophobic) before seriously considering their meaning. Here's what Dictionary.com has to say:

1. Fear of or contempt for lesbians and gay men.
    2. Behavior based on such a feeling.

I do not fear them, nor do I necessarily dislike than more than any other sinner. It's un-natural, and I believe a sin. That's all.

Originally posted by Elledan
    First, the 'solution' I posted has nothing to do with nazism. It's not about making one race superior to all others, but to get rid of genetic defects on the most effective way. If you can't understand that, you're part of the majority: people who stick to a mix of old and obsolete ideals, theories and ideas.
    Elledan, understanding it is one thing, agreeing that it should actually happen is another. Of course I understand what you're saying, but I find the thought of particular breeding to be cruel.

Second, again the effect of Christian propaganda clearly shows its ugly head. Humans weren't made in the image of any god(s). If you truly believe that, you need counseling.
    Then I need counseling. I think anyone who believes we should remove all emotion from ourselves to further our progress needs counseling. The only difference between these two viewpoints, Elledan, is that many others believe what I believe, and no one in their right mind believes we should live like the Borg.

Humans were made in the image of God, but we're filthy sinners. Then again, I'm sure you know all of this.

Third, Humans are indeed devolving. Because we no longer have to face hardships and extreme conditions in our environment, the Human body gets weaker and loses everything it ever aquired to survive. With our warm and cozy houses, A/C, no need to hunt or search for food or to spend hours on creating tools and clothes and zero natural enemies (predators. Except ourselves), we see the evolution of the Human race kick off again, but this time it's following a totally different path.

Weaker jaws, a downgraded digestion system, a weaker skeleton, an increase in auto-immune diseases and asthma in especially the rich countries are all signs of this 'devolution'.

If we continue this way of living, after a few thousand years, the Human race will have turned into physically totally inferior creatures, with as only strength its intellect.

That is, unless we've become extinct before that time (genetical defects, virus, meteorite, nuclear winter etc.).
    Well, say what you like, but I have a somewhat more optimistic picture of mankind down the line. I think that, if we become too weak, we will simply adapt. I truly believe we will adapt as well, if not better, than those around us. I also think we're the only creatures having this kind of conversation right now, and it will remain that way forever.

Sid: despite my disagreements, I cannot deny that your post is very impressive, and very, very interesting. Perhaps, to some degrees, you are right. I believe in some forms of evolution, and I cannot always say for sure where the line is drawn. Perhaps I'm a fool, but I simply see too much around me that points to intelligent design.

Oh, and doesn't the whole concept of evolution "jumping forward" seem a bit contradictory to you? I'm not saying it is, but it doesn't seem to fit in with the theory all that well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by TWTCommish
    I do not fear them, nor do I necessarily dislike than more than any other sinner. It's un-natural, and I believe a sin. That's all.
    Isn't that homophobic ? A sin is something you do on purpose against God, isn't it ? Homosexuals do not wake up a morning and decide "oh, got an idea, I'll be homosexual now !".
    So you're calling them sinners for something they didn't especially choose to do.
    Homosexuality isn't all about the sexual act, or just the fact of being with a guy. It's how the person IS. This is very disrespectful to say their very being is a sin.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Second, nearly all of the mutations caused by pollution/chemical waste etc. are negative, and will never be useful.

What about the X-Men ?

This is quite logical, because evolution doesn't work like this. Random mutations would be a very inefficient way to let a species evolve.
    We'll first have to discover what 'powers' evolution before we can come to a conclusion.

But that's how evolution has always been: random. Besides, you never know when a random mutation that seems bad at the moment will be useful in the future...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Shin Ma

Isn't that homophobic ? A sin is something you do on purpose against God, isn't it ? Homosexuals do not wake up a morning and decide "oh, got an idea, I'll be homosexual now !".
    So you're calling them sinners for something they didn't especially choose to do.
    Homosexuality isn't all about the sexual act, or just the fact of being with a guy. It's how the person IS. This is very disrespectful to say their very being is a sin.
    What you're forgetting is that my very being is a sin too Shin Ma. A sin is not something you do on purpose against God as in "take that, God" -- it's something you're born into, and something that is hard to resist.

If someone is raised poorly, they're probably more likely to have problems. They're probably more likely to, say, murder someone. Does that mean it's okay?

I believe homosexuality is a predisposition: not a fact. An alcoholic may have a son, and that son is likely to have a predisposition to alcohol, but that doesn't mean I'm being disrespectful when I say that his son should not get drunk as often as he does.

I have a predisposition to anger. I know I do, and I fight it whenever possible. I don't blame my predisposition for it, I blame myself for not keeping it under control as often as I should. I don't believe homosexuality is anymore a choice than drinking is a choice for the alcoholic's son, or losing my temper is for myself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, and I really liked that X-Men line.

Prolific Blogger silver trophy Technosailor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Bible says "Do not answer a fool according to his folly or you will become like him yourself." I hesitate to jump in on this thread. I graduated Bible school, but that doesn't make me the bottom line when it comes to God or the things of God. I know what I believe according to the Bible, which I believe to be the infallible and completely God-inspired Word of God. Do I know everything there is to know about the Bible? hardly! Hebrews says that "the Word of God is living and active"...in other words, no one will ever completely have it figured out because it is something that is made alive by an all powerful, infinte God and we are merely finite beings incapable of understanding ALL the ways of God. His ways are higher than my ways, and His thought are higher than my thought.

That being said. Homosexuality is wrong. The Bible makes no bones about it. Lev. 18:22. Do not practice homosexuality. It is a detestable sin. I firmly believe that. Howver, one of my best friends in the world announced to me 2 years ago that he is gay. He is a Christian. I sturggled with this for awhile. I asked God, "What about Dave? Where does he stand?" I wrestled with this question for months and I can't say I knw the answer. I know his heart. I know that he loves God. I know that he seeks God and His will for his life. But he's gay? How could this be? God seemed to point out to me all the sin in my own life. He seemed to be making a comparison and seemed to say, "Aaron, you don't look crystal clear either. But do you question your own salvation?" The apostle Paul says in the New Testament, "What shall we sin because we are no longer under the law but under grace? Absolutely not!" In other words, just because we know that JEsus came and died on the cross and that act alone covered our sins and made us presentable before God..just because we know that any sin we commit can be placed "under grace" does that mean that we have free license to go around and do what we want because we know God wqill forgive us? Of course not. That's ridiculous. Once God has revealed it to the individual that that is a sin, that individual is responsible, before God...not the Catholic Church, not the local priest, but before God for the continual committing of that sin.

I will step down from my soapbox now.

God bless,
    Sketch
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Shin Ma
    Isn't the polygamy flawed as that if you're a man you can have many wives but if you're a woman you can only have one husband ?
    Thus, where's "freedom of choice" ?
    I want to have several wives. They can have other husbands if they want. I'm all about equality.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    as a very devoted Christian myself and i talk a lot about my faith with my friends, this issue comes up a lot.....

the Bible does condemn homosexuality, polygamy, etc. It refers to it as sins.

but the Bible also says that we have all sinned "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God" (Romans 3:23 I believe....either that or 6:23)

In John 8 Jesus says something to the effect of "Let him who has not sinned be the one to throw the first stone".

Someone referred to a homosexual Catholic...about how he could be part of a religion that condemns his sexuality...anyways, part of his religion is also that if he truly believes that Christ died for his sins and is the Son of God, that his sins will be forgiven, and his homosexuality wont matter.

Asking a homosexual Christian how he could be part of a relgion that condemns something he does would be like asking a Christian who lies or a Christian who cusses their parents how they could be part of a relgion that condemns their actions. in the end sin is sin.....and the Bible says those who have faith in Christ are forgiven....

anyways, thats my take (based on the Bible and my own beliefs)

Jim
    http://www.freejavahelp.com
    Making Java REALLY Easy
    Tutorials, Forums, and Articles

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to disagree (somewhat). A liar does not lie 24 hours a day. A homosexual is leading a "homosexual lifestyle" all the time. Is this worse? Heck, I don't know, but there is definitely a subtle (yet significant) difference there.

Personally I believe that homosexuality is, as you said, another sin, mostly the same as losing your temper or over-eating, but I also believe it's a more constant state of sin. Through the Grace of God, however, these two are balanced, and even a person who lives a lifestyle that The Bible refers to as an "abomination" can be saved.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TWT has a point to some degree...
    Take me - I have it BAD for the ladies (call it Lust I guess!?).
    Now I could go around getting-it-on with whomsoever I choose or I can give it to God and ask him to help me deal with it, it's the difference between someone having a slight problem with lust and someone being an Fornicating-Adulterer I guess?

So, someone who thinks/feels/whatever that they are gay could have those feelings but not actually be a practicing homosexual...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by z7
    it's the difference between someone having a slight problem with lust and someone being an Fornicating-Adulterer I guess?
    I agree, but it seems like you are saying there's a difference between a white lie and a really bad lie. Really God makes no such distinction about one sin being greater than another. According to the Bible the smallest sin makes un incapable of being in the presence of a holy God thus condemning every single one of us to damnation in hell. Thank God for the grace of God covering our sin. But really there's no difference in the eyes oif God between homosexuality and cheating ona test. I mean he calls homosexuality an abomination, but he doesn't necessarily give it a "bigger weight". We humans classify sins like that.

Sketch
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I gotcha but I was trying to say there is a difference between wanting to act on desires of the flesh, and actually acting upon them...
    I suppose in Gods eyes, looking at a girl and thinking Fwooar - is no different than seducing her but one course of action may have further reaching, and potentially damaging consequences than the other...
    Yeah, okay I could sleep around and ask for forgiveness every time I did it BUT that isn't going to do me a great deal of good emotionally/physically/spiritually - and it will grieve the Lord to see me acting in this way.
    I can speak from experience to a degree.

By the way I tried to use the 'every sin is equal' arguement in the death penalty thread but a lot of people didn't buy it...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL...I have to admit, I was kind of surprised to find this thread on Sitepoint. I subscribe to a newsgroup on worship and I expect to see this thread pop up there from time to time, but this has got to be the most bizarre place to find this thread....lol..anyways...
    Sketch
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    - there seems to be a few of us here!

Perhaps someone should do a poll?! - I dare ya!

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Jeremy W.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, can't believe I missed this thread for this long *puts gloves on* aright, what'd I miss?
    SVP Marketing, SoCast SRM
    Personal blog: Strategerize
    Twitter: @jeremywright