SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: Trading Links

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trading Links

I am pulling my hair out as to the best way to trade links with high ranking sites.

The only way I can think short of calling the administrator for each site is to send the admin an email but that looks like the BS email we all know.

"I was looking at your site and thought, blah, blah, blah!"

What ways have you guys had success with linking to other top ranking sites without looking like a jerk?

Thanks in advance.
    http://www.twintowntreatmentcenters.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A very good way is by announcing that you want to trade links in your site, and in forums with such topic (I think geekvillage has a forum for link trades)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikolas
    A very good way is by announcing that you want to trade links in your site, and in forums with such topic (I think geekvillage has a forum for link trades)

Well Nikolas, that's a good idea to get links but you will succeed with request of exchanging links only with the new sites launched a day ago with posting a link exchange request on forums

To target high ranking sites to have your link listed to them will only be achievable by mailing the webmaster and requesting for trading links,

Just my 2cents.
    Build your outsourcing strategy now!!
    Email : jitenjain @ gmail.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had limited success send generic emails like you said to the top 30 results from google or msn...I just sent them to webmaster@example.com...only a few have come back undeliverable, and about 2-3 have said OK to a trade...
    Buy the best posters including Life Size TV Posters.
    Movie Posters including Lord Of The Rings.
    Don't miss Humorous Photography.
    Theme Rooms. Get them quick!

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Link Exchange

Hello

Is anyone interested in an link exchange? I am interested for this 3 sites of ours:
    Web design web development UK , Web design link exchange , UK Web Hosting and Domain Names
    Please PM me if you are interested and we will exchange in the shortest time.

Best Regards,
    Ovi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    pm sent

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am willing to trade links with anyone whose services include real estate, virtual tours or web design. Just message me with your url and a brief description and I will add it first the respond with a request for reciporcation.

_V_

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a twist on things that you may want to consider...

Link exchanges are NOT a good idea.

Surprised?

I am too, actually.

There are some positive points to link exchanges (SEO, extra traffic, etc.)

But there's a MAJOR downfall too that nobody seems to want to talk about.

You can decide for yourself what to do, but be aware of the negative.

By linking to other sites, you are losing sales. Why would you spend all sorts of time and money to try and get people to visit your site, just to send them away again?

And you say, "But I stick my links in a WAY out of the way page on my site...nobody will ever get there anyway."

So why would someone exchange links with you if you're only going to give them leftovers?

Just a small bit of food for thought,

Tim David
    http://www.TimsTIPS.com
    Techniques of Internet Promotion for Services

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pro/Cons of Link Exchanging

The only people I exchange links with are not in direct competition with my core business. The realtors who use us don't like competition for them either so it gets a bit tricky. I try to get sites that do the exact same thing but in another area of the country...thus getting content relevant links that don't sap away business.

_V_

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any time someone clicks away from your site, you're losing business.

(Statistics show that the percentage of people who leave your site and later come back is VERY small....under 2%. You've got a much better chance of losing them forever.)

So whether or not the companies you link to are in competition with you, you're most likely losing business by having links.

I know this is quite different from what many people say is "good strategy", but I'm speaking from experience and from the experience of the majority of my successful colleagues.

I'm certainly not telling you what to do, I'm simply offering another side of the story and encouraging you to TEST and compare actual numbers in your own business before you make a final decision. You may find that the numbers surprise you.

Tim David
    http://www.TimsTIPS.com
    Techniques of Internet Promotion for Services

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your looking to get a lot of link try linkmarket.net , but it is sometimes annoying becuase you get like 100 link trades a day and you have to approve them all and add them to your site.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim David

I'm certainly not telling you what to do, I'm simply offering another side of the story and encouraging you to TEST and compare actual numbers in your own business before you make a final decision. You may find that the numbers surprise you.

Tim David
    No offense taken. I agree with what you've said but we aren't too worried about losing our core clients. Since we serve real estate professionals, it is ok if the their clients click off site occasionally. Over 90% of our traffic is direct hits with a large percent of that being return visitors.

The main problem is that the hits don't always go through my main index page. Most come in through the individual realtor sites (listed on my recent listing pages). From there, only about 25% click on the link that takes them to my main page. I'm trying to increase this number and get more of my 200+ unique visitors/day through the main page.