User Tag List

Thread: Scary stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Scary stuff

The Haunted House

Ok, I actually reviewed 3 sites and it's pretty scary! I mean what will I get when actual people review MY site? That's really scary!!!

Please review my haunted house site and let me know:

1. How to make it scarier
    2. Does it load fast?
    3. How it looks in different browsers and resolutions
    4. Is it interesting?
    5. How would you make it better?
    6. Does it inspire you to purchase anything?
    7. Do you want to recommend it to anyone? How would you do this?
    8. Subject matter ok?
    9. Graphics ok?
    10. Overall impression?

Thanks guys,
    Lela
    George W. is on vacation - again!
    austinstar.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

scary!?

Hi Lela
    I just went back from your site and here's my opinion:
    it is fast (thru external 28.8k modem), but it is not scary (not for me). How about some popup windows which jump on from time to time? Just a hint... Site style is, I'm afraid, is little bit older... why don't you rearrange with some dHTML sections - group items by categories and let visitors explore your site; I think it will make it more interesting.
    I'm not a horror fan, so I do not buy stuffs llike this, but if I have to, I'll surely drop to Yoursite and see what you got there...

hope this help

P.S. good designers deisgn by themselves; great designers see what others do
    Let the Source be with You!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm scared! Not from the content though. PLEASE don't thow up a bunch of pop-ups at your viewers unless you want them to just leave your site. That is not scary its extremely annoying to MOST surfers.
    Raven Bren
    NS 4.75, 800x600-1024x768, T1 cable, Win "98

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree

I agree about popups. I did not read the content, I just take a peak at your site. i didn't mean to be rude! No hard feelings!

P.S.The test design lyout of my site is avaliable at about diabetes mellitus so you can teake a peak, too (I'm afraid you'll don't understand a word, because it's all written in serbian). Curent version is one level up
    Let the Source be with You!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice site but you need to add some nice flash movies to it. some sound and try not to use
    any white color or image
    Looking for webhosting?
    Complete review of hosting services, including dedicated and Cobalt Raqs.
    http://www.webhostingvillage.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't see how you can make it scary, but you've done a good job with the ghost stories bit. Those are more chilling which probably a better way to go - especially the one about seeing ghosts when you wake up. No-one will go to sleep again, ever!

You might consider some MPEGS perhaps (if you have any) a la Blair Witch, I suppose (even though that was ****!).
    I swear to drunk I'm not God.
    Matt's debating is not a crime
    Hint: Don't buy a stupid dwarf Clicky

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SitePoint Reviewers ONLY!

Thanks Weirdbeard,
    It's when you're just ABOUT to fall asleep you see ghosts! Once you get to sleep it's A-ok

VW - I try my best not to use white on the halloween site, but those crazy ads from my sponsors sometimes only come with white backgrounds - the dummies. But I think from now on, I'll only use a text link should this happen. Flash movies? Hmmm, we'll see. I am experimenting with java script this year - see below.

imalliques - Absolutely NO POPUPS will be used on my website. I hate the darn things. My opinion is still out on DHTML. Perhaps if I see or hear of a clever use for it?

2001 Haunted House is in the baby stage. Should you choose to review it - please keep it confidential! This notice will self destruct in oh, about 1,000 years.

Lela
    George W. is on vacation - again!
    austinstar.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IN that case I'm never going to bed again!
    I swear to drunk I'm not God.
    Matt's debating is not a crime
    Hint: Don't buy a stupid dwarf Clicky

Former Staff Member silver trophy Adam P.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first thing I would start out with is a new layout. Try not centering everything. That doesn't always look good. Try having navigation grouped in one section, and a section with links, etc.

Also, I would think up a better color scheme. The colors you're using aren't bad, there's just too many that don't go well together. Colors that remind me of a scary halloween theme are orange, red, yellow, black. Therefore, you might want to get rid of that electric green. It's a little hard on the eyes.

Another thing, if you can, I'd put all of the advertisements to one side. If you have to have some on the top, put them all there. Maybe w/ a little title "Ads". They kinda confused me as link to other parts of your sites.

Good luck!
    SPF Mentor/Advisor 2001-2003
    SPF Designer of the Year 2002
    SPF Graphic Designer of the Year 2003
    AdamPolselli.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A horror theme could be used here. And maybe designing some of your own horror animations. I would go with a black and light blue fog color theme. And the skull you have at the bottom, maybe hide most of the skull, and bring the eye sockets to the front with a foggy background. Also, some short screams, or other horror sounds could be used well here. Horror sites have such a wide span of genius.
    If you take some time, I think you could do a really good job. It's there, just have to put it together.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm... when I think scary... I think dark. I think shadows.

When I went to your site, the first thing I noticed was bright neon green. And it didn't really work for me. It sorta didn't seem so bad after, but that very first glimpse at your site, and bright green just seemed wrong.

After you click on them, they go red... that looks cool. Red on black really works for horror.

That skull is cool, I love that stuff. But again... too bright, shiny. I kinda picture, something like skull in the background... a very dark shade of gray. You know the kind?
    Like if users have the brightness set really low, they won't see it... but if they have it set at medium, then they'd just barely see a skull... looking back at them. Like they'd have to look twice to make sure they're really seeing it.

And... well, that "REAL" scary movies thing, with the dripping blood is cool. But I think it would be more appropriate for your title. Where is says "Welcome to he Haunted House at AustinStar"

That really needs to stand out, and be scary. Oh, and the gray text on the 2000.html page is perfect. Dark is the way to go for scary

Stuart Duncan
    www.Logiforms.com
    stu@logiforms.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like before mentioned some sounds would be good!
    Screaming, evil laughing, the sounds of doors, and so on!

I dunno how compatible to all the different browsers you want or have to make your page, but for IE there are some very good effects you can build in!

You could have some fog, and so on...

Also the mainpage looks too, hmmm... happy!

The yellow, orange, red and green don't make the right tension!

Make it really dark!
    Of course not so dark that nobody can read a thing, but at least take out the colors a bit!

Red would fit. Or even only white or grey text!

With a little design work it will be very good!

SitePoint Enthusiast ben_washington's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should learn CSS, it would make your site look much better.

Other than that, you need more graphics, and I suggest you change the text.

Sorry for being so quick, Im in a hurry