SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah wow...talking about cars...my b/f just got a Mitsubishi 3000GT...black...*whew* talk about nice!

And, I run all of my sites for fun, i just NOW set up one that i might actually earn money out of, if i ever get hired *ha!*...ya gotta have fun to keep everything going, that way it's not a 'job' you know? That's whats great...you don't dread doing updates LOL...well....at least most of the time....

Laura
    Webmaster
    www.plusoneplanet.com
    www.tvguide.cjb.net
    Halo Promotions (Coming soon)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the new icon z7
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Does anyone actually run a site because they enjoy it ?"

Yeh, I run a literary ezine called 1Lit.com. I spend a week every month on it and my income is, errrr...., about $1 a month!

I enjoy doing it, but I don't know how long I'll be able to keep it going before I get bored of doing it for no money...
    Nadeem Azam
    Litmania.com Inc.

Free promotion - check out this 1:1 banner exchange
    Dot com domains - the world's most prestigious domain names for sale

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, I would have to say, "Yes", I run my site because I enjoy it and use my it as a way to disseminate information about wicker restoration, seat weaving and basketry.

My site is an information only site that I use as an advertising tool for teaching, lectures and writing contacts. I derive no actual income from it, I do not sell anything directly from the site, do not do mail order, no longer have merchant credit card status, don't have any affiliates, reseller programs or anything else like that. I do however, have a free, monthly ezine on wicker furniture, seat weaving of all types and basketry. Through it too, I make lots of contacts and it also helps to establish me as an expert in my field of wicker restoration, seat weaving and basketry.

I have enjoyed teaching myself HTML coding from scratch using online tutorials, but must admit, it has taken a lot of time. I am not able to perfect my coding to the degree I would like because of time constraints with all the other things I am involved with.

The host company I'm with is wonderful and allows me to have a non-income generating website that I can afford. Check out my host, I'm sure you will agree that the pricing schedule is good, pass on my name if you do decide to join! http://www.RedHotHosting.com

Well, guess I've gone on long enough, but just wanted to jump in on this conversation and put in my two cents worth! Check out my site soon and let me know where you think I can make improvements. It would probably help me out a bunch if you would also tell me how to do it! Hahaha!

The Wicker Woman/Cathryn Peters
    http://www.wickerwoman.com

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I run http://www.nslawservices.org - a site for a non-profit, poverty law organization - on a volunteer basis. Actually I did get paid a very small amount for setting it up, but that was three years ago and I maintain it for nothing, because I support their work. They pay for hosting, though. It doesn't cost me anything.

I started http://www.commackarena.com, which is just about my home town and meant for people from there just on a whim. I started that on f2s but it outgrew it and I pay a very modest amount to worldzone for pro account for it. A lot of people seem to appreciate it a lot.

I do a sub section of a site: http://www.arlo.net/groupw just for fun. It's part of a larger site which is Dave Downin's labor of love - providing information about folksinger, Arlo Guthrie for the last 6 years. He does that for nothing, too, and now he's doing sites for two of Arlo's musician offspring. As a result he got a very nicely paid job doing a site for Jerry Stiller, but that was purely by accident.

My number one labor of love at the moment is http://www.a440zone.com. That's for my son's band. Its purpose is to promote the band, of course, so it's not purely non-commercial, but no one makes any money from it, least of all me.

I have paying jobs, too, but the labors of love are the ones I enjoy working on. Once you're getting paid, somehow it turns into work.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

City, Band and Law Firm Sites

Wow Pat, you really did well on these freebie sites you set up! They are wonderful, opinon coming from a relative newbie.

In fact, I saw a lot of code that I would like to try implimenting on my own site, for instance, the sign up newsletter form on almost every page of the band website.

Do you have much response to the Chat and Message areas and is it hard to monitor or keep up with from the webmasters viewpoint? I would like to add one of those to my site, but if it takes a lot to maintain, I couldn't do it.

I also liked the layout and easy navigation on the band website especially. The site map page was very well laid out and specific, so that the viewer goes to only the interested page links.

Although you didn't ask for a review, I give you very high marks--10 out of 10!

The Wicker Woman/Cathryn Peters
    http://www.wickerwoman.com

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, thanks. I liked your wicker site from what I saw of it. I have to look further. Last night I was catching up from being away for the weekend, but this subject caught my eye, because I've begun to wonder about that, too. I mean, whether anyone was doing this just because they loved doing it. Apparently there are quite a few.
    On the band site, I just recently added the mailing list to the main navigation and the number of people who signed up doubled in about a week. The mailing list is a quick, easy and free php script. If anyone needs one, I'd be glad to tell you where to get one.

But back to the original subject for a minute - Does anyone think that there are big differences in the issues facing "labor of love" sites and purely business sites? I know that I kind of bristle when I come across people dismissing older browsers and less used resolutions and things because they aren't "cost effective" to design for them. In the sites I really care about the most, return on the dollar isn't the issue. That doesn't mean you still don't have to wrestle with the same question but the criteria for coming up with an answer is often different.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Jeremy W.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm... Yeah, I run my site mainly becuase I enjoy it, www.studiococo.com... I mean, the site itself doesn't generate much money it is the people I push to it when they say "can your company do design" or "what can you do" or "what are your prices for..." or "how do I do this effect in photoshop" that generate cash.

So far it has stayed profitable for the last 2 years (7 and 12K profits each year) and I've just boosted it up to a "real" company catering to larger contracts (more expenses doing that too though) and it is still profitable.

But, mainly becuase I enjoy it
    SVP Marketing, SoCast SRM
    Personal blog: Strategerize
    Twitter: @jeremywright

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I run my site at www.planetdoomportal.com just for the joy of it. I'd like to at least make my costs back. Maybe I will someday.

I suspect some of the best unique content sites out there are labors of love rather than profit centers.
    PlanetDoomPortal.com Sci-Fi, Fantasy & Horror
    Planet Doom forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like the Studio:coco site. But I don't think visitors should be greeted with:

"studio:coco is an up-and-coming media design and development company. This is our new site design, so bear with us as we iron out all of the bugs."

Makes it look unprofessional perhaps?

I couldn't find any bugs in the site
    Nadeem Azam
    Litmania.com Inc.

Free promotion - check out this 1:1 banner exchange
    Dot com domains - the world's most prestigious domain names for sale

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Jeremy W.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, fair enough however OLD visitors know what should be there... For instance we run an art contest, have a large javascript repository and stuff. This allows us to make mistakes without TOO many emails of "IT'S BROKEN!!! HELP ME!!!!" coming in
    SVP Marketing, SoCast SRM
    Personal blog: Strategerize
    Twitter: @jeremywright

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah of course! I run Dan Comic Strip because i like to draw the strips... it is both fun and relaxing. I am registering the domain name these days to avoid this weird URL (http://www.marbella.com/strip) and i'm updating it daily!
    No profit.
    Lead Designer at www.mcomdesign.com
    Webmaster at www.marbella.com
    Read my comic strip! www.danstrip.com

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I run several "hobby" sites, and am currently developing two large community based sites - all for free

I do get paid to do it daily though I suppose

H
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I make absolutely zero pence on my site Monkeyboy Online, despite having affiliates. I pay for webhosting and work on my website every week. I probably don't enjoy the coding side of developing my site (HTML is a bit of a chore), I just like filling cyberspace with nonsensical dribblings about movies!
    Monkeyboy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm still a student, and web design is only a hobby of mine. I run my site because I enjoy it but it is good practice.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth BlogTwitterContact me
    Neon Javascript FrameworkJokesAndroid stuff

Bimbo With A Brain! silver trophy Saz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's great that so many people here run sites because they enjoy it, or enjoy sharing information about something they like.

I know I'm trying to set up a little business as well as running Postfive, but it's still not really about money. If the business never takes off and I don't make a penny, I don't care. If it does, and I make a little money from it great, but even then I don't want it to get 'big'. I never want it to get to the stage where I have to tell my kids that I can't take them to the beach/park/cinema/whatever because I've got 'x' amount of sites to finish and a whole host of invoices to chase up. Building webs is essentially a hobby for me, and I'm happy for it to stay that way, even if I manage to learn enough to compete with bigger companies (though I doubt that will ever happen ).
    Saz: Naturally Blonde, Naturally Dizzy!
    No longer Editor of the Community Crier.

Don't mind me, I'm having a BLONDE moment!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well this post sorta had a bit of F1 flava in it which leads nicely to one of my sites www.rapidf1.com. It's a Fantasy formula 1 site driven by PHP/mysql. I don't make any money from it but I don't have to pay any bills the nice people at www.blazebox.com provide hosting. The site isnít to great though it is going to be redone for next season, featuring a complete new design (maybe even a decent one ) and a new game system.

I put quite a bit of work into it to get it launched and then about an hour ever race weekend. I sort of lost the motivation on the site so I just update it for the race weekends, but a new site will provide the motivation I hope and also the players which are nice with there kind and helpful emails .

Maybe looking to get more people in on the project not as designers or programers more as content providers .
    Garlic bread, I've tasted it, it's the future

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I, along with a couple of other people, and in association with one of the fanzines (Keep the Faith) do my site purley for the enjoyment of providing an independent website on the football club - the alternative to the official website.

Pete
    Current Projects:
    Brighton Rockz - The only Albion Fanzine

Always Skint - THE forums for BHAFC fans

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by psalzer

I do a sub section of a site: http://www.arlo.net/groupw just for fun. It's part of a larger site which is Dave Downin's labor of love - providing information about folksinger, Arlo Guthrie for the last 6 years. He does that for nothing, too, and now he's doing sites for two of Arlo's musician offspring. As a result he got a very nicely paid job doing a site for Jerry Stiller, but that was purely by accident.
    LOL! The group W Bench! Reminds me to get out the movie sometime Haven't been to that site in ages - thanks for remindimg me. I did have the Woodstock CD's out the other day though.

I do a couple of sites just for fun.

http://www.gymn.ca which I work on with some friends. Luckily they take care of most of the updating.
    http://www.gym-routines.com - work on this one with some other people but I do most of the updating now. Hopefully that will change.

I used to have a couple more but they kind of died out as I ran out of time to work on them. It's tough sometimes to keep up the desire ot continue working on a site and improving it after a couple of years. I guess that's when you know it's time for a redeisgn. I really can't imagine spending my spare time working on a site I didn't enjoy.
    Megan Jack
    Proud to be Canadian
    http://www.meganjack.com
    Moderator at The Webmaster Forums and EDevCafe Forums

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find I don't enjoy all of them all of the time. I enjoy working on the band's site all the time....so far. Except posting photos gets kind of tedious. But I just keep the ones I'm not enjoying going, until something turns up to make them enjoyable again. Something always does.

Megs, do stop by ArloNet and say hi when you get the chance.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another "Unpaid Professional" ...

I'm the Publisher of SOURCERUNNER (www.sourcerunner.com). No profits are made from the site (outside of in the online store, which we haven't received any profits from though), no third party advertising etc. We're pretty much all doing it for the passion so to speak.

Sad thing is we're currently in dire need of a webmaster as I can't continue to manage EVERYTHING myself. Unfortunately it's hard to find volunteers :-(
    Best Regards,
    Jeffrey A. Rambo
    Brandergy: advertising + design

Almeaty Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm running www.macsolutions.de with a friend i got to know over the net. That site exists because of our love to designs and creating cool websites. Maybe if the service runs well we can earn some pocket money just by the way

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do!

I run ez0ne.com just coz I LOVE making pages.
    I also LOVE watching raffic grow. Since I redesigned my site after totally deleting it from its server (coz too many people said it sucked) it has had a 180 degree turn around.

I re released it two weeks ago and I have already 43 people signed up on the forum, 10 people signed up as a member and yesterday ez0ne.com had 2000 page views!!!

I don't really care about making monsy. I am just happy that I can run a community and provide free advertising and many ways for members to get advice from other people that want advice and we all help each other and its all too cool!

I am extremely happy with just making my site and watching it grow! That's my fun. Making money comes second (at this time). Maybe I'll try and make some more money when there are more members