SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

********* Callithumpian silver trophy freakysid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sendmail gurus wrap your goggles around this.

Oh lordy! I know so little about Linux sysadmin! Are there any Sendmail guru's out there? Two questions. An easy one first up.

1) How do the aliases and virtusertable co-exist? Does an entry in aliases (which is "server-wide", ie for all domains hosted by the machine) over-ride (ie have precedence over) a entry in the virtusertable? For example, what will happen in this instance?

aliases table
    ----------------
    root: charlie

virtusertable
    ----------------
    root@xyz.com: sally@somewherelse.net

Will sally be rellayed the email sent to root@xyz.com?

2) Now for the hard question. Does anyone have any experience in using Berkeley DB3 or BerkeleyDB2 as the database format for the virtusertable and aliases databases? I want to be able to manage the virtusertable database from within PHP scripts using the DBA functions. I think I've configured and compiled php with DB3 support However, I'm really stuck on how to configure and compile Sendmail to use DB3 (or DB2, or NEWDB format, or whatever will work with PHP!!!). I have BerkeleyDB.3.2 installed but for the life of me I don't know how to configure Sendmail to compile with support for BerkeleyDB file formats.

I know its a toughy - but I'm taking a long shot that someone has been down this path already.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From my experience, the virtusertable takes precendence over the alias file. I have the Sendmail book in front of me and I can't see it spelled out in there so it might be configurable (although I haven't seen anything specific in sendmail.cf).

I'm not a PHP programmer so I can't help on the second one. I hope that the first answer helps.
    My life blood:
    BuildACommunity.com

********* Callithumpian silver trophy freakysid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply. Problem solved (I think). Its seems I have managed to compile Sendmail with DB3 support and PHP with DB3 support (well my stand alone binary version of PHP), will have to recompile the mod_php version, but that's another drama.

I can now edit the virtusertable.db and aliases.db right from within my PHP scripts. I have had various ppl tell me that this cannot be done, and that the only way to edit these hash maps is to edit the master flat file and make a new hash map from that. Perhaps my ignorance has afforded me a short-cut to innovation. Perhaps I will learn that my solution won't cut it once the server is deployed and gets some traffic. From what I've read, the BerkeleyDB should scale quite well controls concurrency well. We will have to wait and see
    Last edited by freakysid; Jun 15, 2001 at 02:20.