Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Google Targets Ads by Site, Sells by CPM

This is looking very interesting.

Google Monday is launching a limited beta test that will let advertisers choose on which sites their contextually targeted ads appear, but they will have to pay for those ads on a CPM basis.

The company expects to roll out site targeting to all advertisers within a few weeks. The move, apparently designed to attract more branding-oriented advertisers, is likely to send shockwaves through the industry, as advertisers have long sought such a feature. In the past, media sellers have typically said site targeting would add too much complexity and would be technically difficult to implement.

"At Google, we are always trying to innovate and do the right thing for users, for advertisers and publishers," explained Susan Wojcicki, director of product management at Google. "Even in describing it, it's a little bit complex to explain. Certainly figuring out what the right pricing mechanism is -- those are the types of things that took us a while to figure out. It's something we heard from our constituents. It just took us some time to figure out."

Using the same AdWords interface, advertisers will be able to select sites on which they want their ads to appear. They can either enter in the URLs of specific sites, or they can perform a keyword search to find sites on which to place their ads. Google will return a list of sites similar to the URLs people select, or a list that matches with the particular keywords. Advertisers can then select sites from those lists.

Google will continue to use an auction model to sell the site-targeted ads, but payments will be on a CPM basis. Advertisers will indicate the maximum price they're willing to pay per-thousand ad impressions. Google will then determine where those ads should appear among the CPC ads. Though CPC ads are ranked by both bid price and click-through rate, the CPM ads will only be ranked by bid price.

"It all competes in the same auction," said Wojcicki.

There's one other differentiator for the site-targeted ads. Advertisers will be able to deploy animated .gifs for these placements. The company has tested animated ads in the past, but hasn't yet rolled them out. Now the animated ads will be introduced along with CPM pricing -- both elements to which branding-oriented advertisers are accustomed.

"This will enable them to get more ad impressions and get their ads in front of the right audiences," said Wojcicki. "Perhaps they'll reach people in other parts of the buying cycle. Hopefully the ads will also meet a variety of different marketing objectives that they have."

Industry-watchers believe the new targeting option is likely to be welcomed by advertisers.

"Marketers have been constantly saying they want the ability to pick and choose where their ads appear. Now they've got it," said Danny Sullivan, editor of SearchEngineWatch. "Hopefully, it will allow them the ability to spend more time getting the most out of their campaigns, rather than having to figure out workarounds to get the control they weren't previously allowed."

Interestingly, the new feature also adds complexity to the Google AdWords interface -- something the company has long said it was trying to avoid.

"Certainly every time you have a new feature, sure, there might be some additional complexity, but we've tried to make it as easy as possible," Wojcicki said.

Source: http://www.clickz.com/news/article.php/3500021

fad (n): a craze; interest... Fahd's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Wonderful!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The question is, on publishers side will they get paid on a CPM basis for these CPM ads or would Google get it all and pay for CPC?

SitePoint Evangelist Chromate222's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is going to take some time for advertisers to get used to. What tools will Google provide advertisers to help them select sites that they want their ads to appear on? If all an advertiser can do is search for sites by keyword / url or whatever, with no other information provided, then this isn't a good thing. Advertisers will be forced to use trial and error, which will obviously waste money.

Most advertisers will probably just look for attractive sites to place their ads on. That's not always a good move. The ugliest sites can quite often have great CTRs and high quality traffic. How will the advertiser choose a site based on those factors.

Even a lot of the publisher community fail to realise that sites created purely for adsense are very valuable for advertisers (and obviously publishers). But with google having been automatically selecting sites to display ads on up until now, this has always been hidden from the advertiser. It's going to take time for advertisers to get the hang of selecting the right sites to advertise on, particularly as they'll be paying on a CPM basis.

It would be good if Google could help them out by publishing stats along with the sites that can be selected, ie, average impressions / average CTR etc.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Google always have NEW IDEA .

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Advertisers must bid a minimum of $2 to reach a thousand people, but they must compete against other promoters for the same inventory, so costs could inflate for popular keywords, Web sites or categories.

http://news.com.com/Google+readies+b...l?tag=nefd.top

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lackeroom
    The question is, on publishers side will they get paid on a CPM basis for these CPM ads or would Google get it all and pay for CPC?
    thats what i was wondering... If advertisers pay for cpm, would we get paid for cpm. Or would google keek that cpm money, and pay us more for cpc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmm, just started a same topic.

anyways, will the new "site targeting" causes us as publishers to show the same ads in case a advertisers marks your website as the one he wants to advert on?? .

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I might be tempted to allow image based ads in my google boxes if this works good....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We'd still be paid upon CPC I would think. On a network as big as Adsense, it would be hard to control the massive amounts of fraud that will happen. Besides, it is still in beta. Google betas can last years.
    The Online Guide

Forums Designer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are few details about it from google.com: https://adwords.google.com/support/b...c.py?topic=342

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It will be interesting to see how Google will pay publishers for CPM campaigns. It would also be nice for webmasters to be able to set minimum CPMs for their sites.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh that would be so great!!! i can't wait

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yet another great idea by Google. I can't wait for this project to be released
    Love pets? Why not discuss virtual pets?
    Contact me on Twitter @cpvr

l º 0 º l silver trophybronze trophy lo0ol's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moto
    Advertisers must bid a minimum of $2 to reach a thousand people, but they must compete against other promoters for the same inventory, so costs could inflate for popular keywords, Web sites or categories.
    A $2 minimum CPM is fairly huge. Although I suppose as it's worded it's per 1000 uniques, but still, it's an impressive number.

Anyone know when this is taking effect? I might be interested.
    Zach Holman
    good-tutorialsblogtwitterlast.fm

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone noticed over the last few days that their revenue has increased but not their clicks? I wonder if they are testing this feature now.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    please post the link to signup for this great google idea.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wouldn't this shut out smaller sites, as advertisers might not bother having their ads appear there where it can only reach a small audience?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by yeszir
    Wouldn't this shut out smaller sites, as advertisers might not bother having their ads appear there where it can only reach a small audience?
    It would seem so... but remember that there are smaller advertisers that cant afford the CPM. So, there will still be some to go around.
    But I guess overall CPC will go way low because all the big payers are buying CPM on high traffic sites.

It's a matter of waiting and see... Some other ad services might even benefit from what will happen. Like yahoo

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also noticed that as of today I am seeing the new Google animated banners on my site. Anyone else?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds great for advertisers, but will hurt small publishers for sure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If they were to limit publisher settings, such as acceptance to all sites, they would seriously hurt their site representation list. If they get as exclusive as some of the first or second tier networks, they would be reduced to the same level as their peers.
    The Online Guide

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This seems like an excellent idea. The only problem is getting your site noticed by an advertiser so they want to place their ads on your site (from a publisher's point of view).
    Anything that will make ads a bit more targeted or cross-relevant is a good thing in my book.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I think one of the main reasons why so many advertisers have decided to use Google is because they get to pay per click, as opposed to CPM (as there are certainly -a lot- of CPM alternatives out there), so I don't suppose the majority of advertisers will be jumping ship on the CPC model to use the CPM model, but it's certainly an interesting move by Google.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icky_bu
    It would seem so... but remember that there are smaller advertisers that cant afford the CPM. So, there will still be some to go around.
    But I guess overall CPC will go way low because all the big payers are buying CPM on high traffic sites.
    Not knowing exactly how this will work makes it hard to tell. But as the CPM & CPC ads will be shown together I think both ad types will simply reach a comparable competitive level and probably generate the same income over time.

I think the other thing to keep in mind is that smaller *traffic* sites tend to be the smaller sites. Moreover, smaller sites tend to be more targeted to a particular niche or aspect of a niche. This targeted traffic can be like gold to an advertiser, and particularly on a CPM basis, they may well look for these kind of sites that will give a higher return, per number of page impressions, than a larger more general topic site. Obviously, as it is now on a CPC basis, this isn't so important as they only pay if a user clicks.

So, not necessarily bad for smaller publishers. It just depends on how well the advertisers know what they're doing. I hope Google will provide them with the tools they need to make the right decisions, as I said in a previous post. That will work out well for everybody!