Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tomb Raider

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I saw Tomb Raider on Friday night and here's what I thought:

** Two stars out of five.

First of all, let's look at the plot. The writers for the movie laid out a nice plot that could have tied the movie together and made for a lot of suspense and thrill, but the key words here are COULD HAVE. Nearly every single piece to the puzzle leads to a dead end, aside from the fact that in the end, the good guys come out on top.

Even a simple actor/movie buff like myself could have come up with the loose ends that the film is lacking and made the whole movie much better.

The characters, for the most part, have no personality and make the movie exactly what the title implies: Tomb Raider, the video game on the big screen. Every single action sequence could have come straight out of the video game itself and I just had to laugh to myself at the similarities. Ultimately, the video game HAS come the big screen, but the only difference is that there is more conversing and you don't control Lara.

The special effects came close to The Mummy Returns and the set design was extremely awesome, I would even daresay better than the Indiana Jones series.

As far as Lara Croft goes, the sex appeal is there. Throughout the movie she wears tightfitting clothes that give her figure more than a good chance to show itself. Even in the "Dead Zone" up near the north pole, when everyone else is wearing heavy fur overcoats and fur caps, she wears a thin, tight sweater and a lightly fur-lined trenchcoat.

Even with these absurdities coming into play, Angelina Jolie gives a stunning performance by pulling off all of her stunts by herself and keeping it serious, even when script has no point.

Overall, two stars fit this movie just as tightly as Lara's outfits and while the movie was good, I've seen better.
    Isaiah Walter
    Owner / Visionary
    White Wonder Studios - San Diego web design & graphics
    www.whitewonder.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Isaiah

The characters, for the most part, have no personality and make the movie exactly what the title implies: Tomb Raider, the video game on the big screen. Every single action sequence could have come straight out of the video game itself and I just had to laugh to myself at the similarities. Ultimately, the video game HAS come the big screen, but the only difference is that there is more conversing and you don't control Lara.
    This might be stating the bleeding obvious but wasnt the point of the movie to bring the game to life on the big screen? If it were different from the game why would we want to see it? (apart from the obvious). The reason this movie will make mega bucks is becuase everyone who has enjoyed playing the game will go and see it, plus the big draw card of Angelina Jolie.

The special effects came close to The Mummy Returns and the set design was extremely awesome, I would even daresay better than the Indiana Jones series.
    With the effects that computers can generate now, I would hope they are better than the Indiana Jones series.

As far as Lara Croft goes, the sex appeal is there. Throughout the movie she wears tightfitting clothes that give her figure more than a good chance to show itself. Even in the "Dead Zone" up near the north pole, when everyone else is wearing heavy fur overcoats and fur caps, she wears a thin, tight sweater and a lightly fur-lined trenchcoat.

Even with these absurdities coming into play, Angelina Jolie gives a stunning performance by pulling off all of her stunts by herself and keeping it serious, even when script has no point.
    Just goes to prove my point that she IS talented and not just a pretty face. Slapper? I dont think so ....
    http://www.avgallery.com.au/ - Your ticket to high-end audio!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take it from my Angelina Jolie is very <cough>talented</cough>

No but seriously the point of the movie is to BRING TOMB RAIDER TO "LIFE"! It is not aiming to be an epic drama just a quick bit of fun!
    SiteOptions >> Services :: Products :: Contact
    Developers of PHP, C++, Visual Basic, MySQL, and more!

Bimbo With A Brain! silver trophy Saz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Angelina Jolie......Angelina Jolie......

You know, I mentioned her to my husband to see what kind of reaction I'd get.

He says he prefers Jessica Alba.

Men and their bloody testosterone!!!!
    Saz: Naturally Blonde, Naturally Dizzy!
    No longer Editor of the Community Crier.

Don't mind me, I'm having a BLONDE moment!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes! Exactly my point Mad-onion!!

Im glad im not the only one who thinks that way.
    http://www.avgallery.com.au/ - Your ticket to high-end audio!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Saz249
    Angelina Jolie......Angelina Jolie......
    Men and their bloody testosterone!!!!
    If it wasnt for men's bloody testosterone....dont worry! This is a family show :P

Bimbo With A Brain! silver trophy Saz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by mad-onion

If it wasnt for men's bloody testosterone....dont worry! This is a family show :P
    Saz: Naturally Blonde, Naturally Dizzy!
    No longer Editor of the Community Crier.

Don't mind me, I'm having a BLONDE moment!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've not played Tomb Raiders but I like that gal.

Is there any picture of her (real version) and (computer version)?? Just comparing.
    Your WebHosting Partner - RouterWebHost.com
    eXam SIMulation Software - ExamSim.net
    geeks forums -ProgrammingTutor.com
    BMWClub of Malaysia - BMWClub.com.my
    unofficial MU Fan Club coming soon - ManchesterUnited.com.my

Anyone seen my cypher? OneChance's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by creole
    But remember though, she's a good Actress too. Her "merits" stand on their own (lets see how far we can take the entendres). She has proven that by winning two Globes and an Oscar. Yes she is beautiful and sensual, but she is a great actress two.
    I wouldn't put too much stock in those "awards." I mean, they gave Gladiator and Titanic Best Picture awards for crying out loud.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hahahahahaha...angelina jolie is a sex idle plain and simple! There is no two ways about it, do you think anyone would have gone to see "gone in 60seconds" had it not been for heaps of cool cars and angelina??

Although by the measure of the local television guide "Pamela Anderson does not think she is a sex bunny"...that made me laugh!...maybe angelina really is an outstanding actor! But with OneChance im not going to bid on it, i think the oscars and globes are selected by which one will be best for marketting purposes!

</rant>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm.. Sounds like it's going to be a yawn.

I like this review, very straightforward and made me laugh.
    If it's anything like this.. I'm waiting until it comes out on video.

"This film is ugly, boring and uninspired. In a single shot, they manage to defecate not only upon the beauty of Angkor Wat, but in a blink…. They shat upon Venice…. In a single transition they made both places look like total logs."

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=9324
    http://aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=9323
    Last edited by Seer; Jun 17, 2001 at 01:08.
    Everything has been figured out, except how to live. - Jean-Paul Sartre (1905-1980)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    whatever...those places were still beautiful in the movie.

What are people expecting when they go to see a movie like that? Freaking, bloody Shakespeare? It's an action movie, not a showcase for the talents of an actor/actress. It's suppoed to be FUN.

As for the movie, I would give it a 3.5 stars. The action was really good (hard to believe she did all of her own stunts). The set design and costuming was superb, and I was pretty impressed with Angelina's Brit accent, although I couldn't say how authentic it was.

I noticed that in the aforementioned scene at the frigid north, there were no "noticeable" signs of Miss Jolie's being ahem*** "cold" even though her jacket is wide open. Must have used lots of band-aids.

Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    creole: I agree in most cases. Don't come to flick like this expecting a moving, deep, philosophical tale. If you do, well, you deserve what you get as a result.

HOWEVER, this movie wasn't all that great as a "popcorn flick" -- every scene left me thinking "they could have done that better. What a shame."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by OneChance
    I wouldn't put too much stock in those "awards." I mean, they gave Gladiator and Titanic Best Picture awards for crying out loud.
    Oh boy, you're one of THEM, huh?

I'm sorry, but Jolie CAN act. I really don't care what anyone else says at this point. Not only that, but her replication of Lara Croft was the one constant marvel throughout the movie.

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How old is she? 26?

How many Academy Awards has she won?

Best Actress for Gia (which was also her debut role I believe)

Best Supporting Actress for Girl Interrupted

Saying she has no talent is really a baseless opinion.

But of course if you expect Tomb Raider to be anything other than an action movie you're sadly mistaken. Most action movies (Matrix one obvious exception) are just that, action movies.

Tomb Raider won't win any awards, but it will probably entertain you for 2 hours.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saw TR this afternoon; I don't recommend it. I'd say 2 stars, the action and effects are pretty good, the writing sucks, and the characters have no development. It's about as much fun as watching someone else play tomb raider for two hours.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What kind of development are you expecting to get from an action movie? It's not a thespian's role folk. It's just an action movie.

To repsond to someone elses post earlier, I think the games suck actually. I really WANT to like them because they hav a lot of action to offer, but I just can't stand them. I think that it's mostly the control setup. It sucks big time! The controls make no sense and they are too sensitive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are tons of action movies better than this one. The big one for me was that they try to make it seem like she loves her old boyfriend or something, yet he has about 3 minutes of movie time. No explanation of anything, just "Hi, I'm your old boyfriend." "Oh, let's bicker for 5 seconds. Plus I still kinda love you" "Cool, I can't shoot you either." "Thanks, you're sweet." I think that about sums up their relationship. The Mummy (1 and 2) had much better writing and character development, in comparison.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by aspen
    [B]How old is she? 26?

How many Academy Awards has she won?

Best Actress for Gia (which was also her debut role I believe)

Best Supporting Actress for Girl Interrupted

Saying she has no talent is really a baseless opinion.[B]
    Just as an aside, I think she has only won one Oscar, but two Golden Globe awards. I might be wrong about the Oscar, but I KNOW she has won the 2 Globes.

For those people that aren't impressed by the Oscar, remember that the winners are picked by a note of their peers, other members of the Academy. I think there are 7000 or 8000 members or something.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Anarchos
    There are tons of action movies better than this one. The big one for me was that they try to make it seem like she loves her old boyfriend or something, yet he has about 3 minutes of movie time. No explanation of anything, just "Hi, I'm your old boyfriend." "Oh, let's bicker for 5 seconds. Plus I still kinda love you" "Cool, I can't shoot you either." "Thanks, you're sweet." I think that about sums up their relationship. The Mummy (1 and 2) had much better writing and character development, in comparison.
    I would totally aree that there are better action movies than this one. I still don't think that it was bad. Like I said earlier, 3.5 stars from me.

will code HTML for food Michel V's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by aspen
    But of course if you expect Tomb Raider to be anything other than an action movie you're sadly mistaken. Most action movies (Matrix one obvious exception) are just that, action movies.
    OT:
    Matrix was just an action movie, not more... People told me "oh, it's also phylosophical" and stuff, but when you're read sci-fi books you see the storyline isn't innovative at all.
    Special camera effects were, though.
    By the way when is The Matrix 2 scheduled ? Peeps made a big deal of "they are now doing the 2nd and 3rd episode" but since then, no information...
    [blogger: zengun] [blogware contributor: wordpress]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Uh, actually Shin Ma, there's been lots of information. The Matrix 2: Reloaded, is due out in Christmas of 2002. Oh, and say what you like, but it was more than an action flick. Most action flicks don't make you think at all -- not even a little. The Matrix made you paranoid.

Anarchos: I don't recall that being her old boyfriend. There was a hint of something, but nothing else.

Oh, and I don't know who said it, but if you're looking for "character development", you really shouldn't have gone to see Tomb Raider. I don't remember Indiana Jones having much in terms of character development. Neither has James Bond -- and Tomb Raider borrows from them both.

Anyone seen my cypher? OneChance's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by TWTCommish
    I'm sorry, but Jolie CAN act.
    Oh no, I'm not saying she's a good or bad actor. But I wouldn't base the quality of an actor on what awards they've one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would. I wouldn't necessarily judge FILMS by the awards they've won, but, while I don't always agree with the Oscars, I don't see them handing out awards to undeserving individuals all that often. Seems to me as if all the candidates are pretty solid, just about all the time.

e=2.718281828459045235360 HyperBaseball's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This movie sucked! The old butler guy acted better than Angelina Jolie
    Jason Unger is me.
    "Homer no function beer well without"
    http://www.jasonunger.com