SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: review request

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

review request

I have paid my Three Review penance (my condolences to the victims ) and would like to ask for a review of my site - I haven't really done anything about search engines (onea these days ) and my reading of other reviews leads me to believe many will feel my logo is too small - and yes, no pricing scheme - what I think I need (patients don't make these decisions, right? ) is IDEAS - what else can I include for content? - and of course the usual design, navigation, etc. concerns - THANKS!!

Multi Media Information

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi mmi! Your reviews have been great. Welcome.

You and I have similar names.

I appreciate your emphasis on correct grammar and spelling.

Ok I'll just say some things about your site, but they are just suggestions.

I'd try and think of a tagline and short (15 words maybe) description for your site. The tagline at least, could go in the blue space beside the logo.

The introduction on your front page is great, but I think that maybe an extra tagline and small description might 'grab' the attention, in case the viewer isn't the kind of person to read a large paragraph of text (even though your audience probably are that type of person).

I think your logo looks quite professional. I don't think it needs to be larger, because the blue bar helps it to stand out. I think you would, however, benefit from adding more padding around the logo (ie, making the blue bar thicker). This would help space the site as well, because the top of the page looks a lot more crowded that the rest of the page.

"View our film" should probably be "View our movie". Some filmmakers might become agitated at your use of the term "film" for something that wasn't shot on film. You could also use the word "presentation".

I am 1024x768x32bit
    IE5.5 on PC

I'm not a fan of the Tahoma font, at sizes that small. It is personal preference really, but it is a bit hard to view with these eyes.

The text "Today's hot links" comes a bit too close to the edge, for me. You may consider increasing the padding around this text.

I like the navigation. When you put the mouse over one of the links on the navbar, an icon appears in the blur bar underneath the navbar. Perhaps you could integrate these icons into the navbar itself, to display next to all of the links.
    Last edited by mmj; Jun 13, 2001 at 13:45.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog · Twitter · Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework · Jokes · Android stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Review Response

Hi everyone,
    I agree with mmj's comments and thought I would add a few of my own. Overall the site is very smart looking with a good eye pleasing color scheme and clean layout. I just noticed a few little things.

I noticed that if you keep pushing the arrows in the corner, it jumps to the next page properly but when there are no more pages to display, it just sits there. You might want to add a message or remove the arrow when there is nothing else to see.

I'm browsing at 1600x1200 but the browser isn't full screen so I'm not sure what the effective resolution. The background image stops suddenly most of the way down the page. Now I don't suggest that you set the background to 1600x1200, there are not enough browsers running at that resolution but you might want to change the background color to match the green or beige. Right now it's white which clashes when the background runs out.

On the sub-pages, like http://ememi.com/mmi/write.shtml, the links on the right are kind of easy to miss. You might want to add some color or an image to draw attention to them.

For the navigation, (this is probably just me) I might modify the text in the orange bars that popup to look more like a description. Several times, I caught myself moving the mouse to the right to select one of the items. A lot a sites are using menues like that to reveal deeper options and your's look a lot like them. By making the descriptions a list with commas or a sentence, it wouldn't look so much like menues and help people avoid a little frustration. Like I said, I'm probably like Pavlov's dog, moving whenever I think I see a menu but there might be others like me.
    My life blood:
    BuildACommunity.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty good!

Just a couple things I noticed however that you might choose to change.

I would put the home link actually just right on the directory with the rest of the pages list.
    It goes somewhere with the earlier comment -if a viewer doesn't feel like reading through
    the page, and hasn't scrolled down to realize it's located at the bottom.

A comment on your sales pitch. At first I wasn't quite sure what you actually are
    promoting here. Could be that it's the end of the day for me, but I had to read through
    it twice to understand that you design web sites, not just review what's required for
    them. I would bold where it say's your name again in the text area and maybe, but perhaps not all the
    sentence, but where it explains what your company does. Or like said earlier, and explanation
    with the banner, or just below.

Perhaps even take every last paragraph on your explanation pages, and through them
    to the front. "This is what MMI can do for you", and then why, and where everybody else
    goes wrong. It might give it more of a kick.

Content idea's to fill it up?
    Where you have the arrows for next and back. Maybe explain to them that they can take
    the tour of your site by following those arrows. I missed them on the first page, and didn't
    realize they were there until I read someone elses comments. Or maybe make them a bit larger,
    and even dropping off the banner to stand out.

I like your banner. As said earlier, with the colors, it works very good! You could probably even
    bring the clock down onto the page to fill up some more space.

Other than that, it looks Trés Bon! Well done.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Comments

Hi mmi, here are my comments about your site. I don't think the rollovers on your sidebar menu are very effective. The letters changing at the bottom add no value. The submenus which popup are annoying since you can't click on them. If they truly are submenus then you should set the sidebar menu up to show them underneath. Check out how foxnews.com does their sidebar menus. (I must be hung up on foxnews since I've used their site twice today in reviews!) Good luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only thing I can come up with offhand that I didn't see mentioned in a quick scan of the other reviews, is to ask what's with all the blank space at the bottom of your home page?
    Ed Rands

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

multi media review

Hi MMI!
    Call me oldfashioned, but 3D images are not my cup of tea . I tested your site on Win2kProfessional, 800x600 @28.8k (external) and the first impression is: fast! but... Onmouseover images in the navigation bar is a littlebit slow (did you made preload script for them?). Another thing: too much 'empty space' at the end of home page:why? Do You have there any layer with thier visibility set to hidden? If so, try with display:none. If you're confused, consult CSS2 manual or try with Dreamweaver (all my pages are hand-coded, but if I stuck somewhere I simply try to find a solution thru Dreamweaver, and then explore and explore code to learn something).

I hope I was not too rude . I just want to help you (with criticism, but...)

P.S. mysite is still underconstruction, but you can see the test at about siabetes mellitus ; links still leads nowhere, but that's prety close to final layout. I wait for your comment(s)
    Note: All material are written on serbian
    Let the Source be with You!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks for all the responses!

a tagline and short (15 words maybe) description for your site. The tagline at least, could go in the blue space beside the logo.
    an excellent suggestion, I'd say - I've seen this on other sites - hopefully my implementation won't be too clumsy
    more padding around the logo (ie, making the blue bar thicker
    sounds good too - I might even need the room for the tagline
    Some filmmakers might become agitated at your use of the term "film"
    agitation is my avocation
    I'm not a fan of the Tahoma font, at sizes that small.
    I'm not happy with it either, but haven't been able to come up with anything better - I'm using 10pt - here's some 9pt helvetica - is this more readable?
    The text "Today's hot links" comes a bit too close to the edge
    I agree, but I was fighting for every horizontal pixel I could get - none to spare - the consistent criticism about the lack of VERTICAL content on these pages should give you an idea of how lost I am concerning layout
    integrate these icons into the navbar itself, to display next to all of the links.
    in my original design, the page links (writing, editing, etc.) were displayed across the top of the page with the logo in a frame - I decided I wanted to try having a leftside nav system (can't remember exactly why) and just started cutting and pasting - I'm really not much of a coder at all (if you hadn't noticed) and was lucky, I felt, just to get it set up and working - but I really should scratch out a design for an improved "column" over there and try to produce it - this would hopefully deal with
    The letters changing at the bottom add no value.
    with which I can't really argue
    might want to add a message or remove the arrow when there is nothing else to see
    those arrows are really just back/forward buttons - some people have hollered at me that they "know how to use the browser buttons" - I read somewhere that this feature "pulls the viewer's attention away from the browser and onto your page" - I think your idea about a message is a good idea - I'll try to come up with something
    at 1600x1200...background image stops suddenly most of the way down the page
    my monitor only goes up to 1024×768 - I'll find one that goes higher and correct that
    You might want to add some color or an image to draw attention to...the links on the right...[o]n the sub-pages
    excellent suggestion - I sorta did that on the home page but didn't think of it for the others - getting those divs containing the link menus to display cross-browser was a real pain (told ya I'm no coder) and I didn't realize viewers might not notice them - I was always growlin' at 'em
    modify the text in the orange bars that popup to look more like a description
    you are not the only one to say that - others agree (see rgremill's post) and have a similar Pavlovian response - I'll work on it - do these work better?
    I would put the home link actually just right on the directory
    the logo in the upper-left is also a link to Home - is there a way I can make this more obvious?
    your sales pitch. At first I wasn't quite sure what you actually are promoting here
    nope, it's not you, it's me - I really appreciate your criticism on this point, Sasha - I wrote this stuff up MANY months ago and for some reason have a TERRIBLE block on rewriting it - can't even FINISH the editing page - part of the problem, I suppose, is that I don't really know how to write for "business" - I'm hoping the suggestions you made will start to melt the ice cap covering my brain
    tour of your site by following those arrows
    yeah, I've seen those - but is there really a natural order to these pages? - as I said above, the arrows really just replicate the browser buttons as they are now, but...
    what's with all the blank space at the bottom of your home page?
    yeah, I know - I think this audience is a little more sophisticated than my usual lot - I hear that about three-fourths of viewers use an 800×600 resolution, so I figured I should concentrate on that shot - I keep saying I'll come up with more content to fill up the screen at a higher res, but...
    Onmouseover images in the navigation bar is a littlebit slow
    this is a weird one for me - in Netscape on my machine, these images display instantly - on IE, they're slow (I don't think Gates likes me) - I do at least attempt to preload them, not sure how effectively - anybody have an idea on that one?
    3D images are not my cup of tea
    not sure what you mean? - btw, you were not rude at all

THANKS AGAIN EVERYBODY!! - I'll post back when I've made some changes - hopefully before
    Last edited by mmi; Jun 16, 2001 at 22:07.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great looking site. Just want to point out one thing that I don't believe has been mentioned by others.

On of the first things I did was visit your sampling of sites designed by MMI. The new windows popped up all over the place at different sizes. To view them, one would have to resize to view properly. On one, I had to drag the window into place to close it. This was a big hassle! It would be much easier for visitors if the windows were the same size as the window used while viewing your site.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice Design. Looks good in both IE/NS. Like the mouseovers.
    In IE, your hotlinks don't show up unless you click the image.

I don't really see the point in the forward/backward history navigational button. When I saw them I thought that they brought you through the pages in the website, or were a part of a webring. A little confusing there.

I think you overdo the mouseovers a bit. Yes, they look good but it just seems like your trying to show off a bit too much. They get a little repetitious.

Overall, it looks good. Nice job.
    http://www.searchnightlife.com
    info@searchnightlife.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey allie - I think I remember you from reading other reviews - seemed like you had a lot of good advice so I sure do value your opinion - what resolution were you viewing at? - I have to admit I kinda gave up on 640×480 in my efforts to write for other resolutions - of course, this may still be a problem in ways I'm just not familiar with - if you were using 800×600, I am definitely concerned - Cooking My Way was my first design and is not very flexible - to get the text to break the way I want, I don't think I can make it any narrower - BPG is in the same size window, but was located at different coordinates - I've changed that so they're both the same - does that work better? - I guess I was thinking that if people opened them all up like you did (by the way, I think you're the first person to actually tell me they looked at all those ), they'd be able to see at least a part of each window and not get lost wondering what happened - more oriented toward "inexperienced" surfers, I suppose - on Artfact, I changed the location on that one too - now they all appear in the same space, except Artfact's window is narrower - this is a little painful for me actually - I used to have another text image that went on that page and "floated" so that you got a good display, I felt, at low and high res - but I lost the image (don't ask ) and now it's not as important, although it still "floats" some - I guess I could open that up to 785px as well and then they would all be completely uniform - I'll think on it - I do appreciate your response - please let me know if these changes are an improvement

hey JoeDirt - I went to school in Madison a LONG time ago - like 25 years - YIKES!! - you should have to click on "Today's Hot Links" to get that menu to display on both browsers - yeah, those back/forward buttons confuse a lot 'a people - I'm working on an "explanation" - I see your point about mouseovers - this site has basically been used as a learning and demonstration platform - maybe I should remove some of those or at least spread their use onto other pages - thanks for the response and enjoy the summer cuz I know what it's like in town during the winter - to "escape," I used to thumb up to De Pere (sp?) outside Green Bay - took like five hours - very
    Last edited by mmi; Jun 18, 2001 at 19:02.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mmi,

Just so you understand, I always review sites from a user/surfer perspective. I simply am not technical enough to give anyone advice on the inner workings of their site. I know just enough to be dangerous.

Just looked at sites designed by you again. I am viewing this on a 17" monitor using IE5.5 800x600 resolution, true color.

Hope I am describing this okay so you can visualize what I am seeing! The film comes up in the exact position of my computer screen filling up my window perfectly. Artifact comes up in a window probably 4-5 inches narrower and about an inch longer than my screen. The other two appear almost but not quite the same size as my screen. I would say about a quarter of an inch from the top. I no longer have to drag one to close the window. I don't know how to tell you to fix it, but if they could all come up the same way as the film to fill the viewers screen, it would be nice.

By the way, thanks for the compliment on the reviews. I'm pleased that someone thinks reviews from a user, surfer, or potential buyer has value.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do windows, but can't say how well

hey allie - don't undervalue the opinion of "non-technical" viewers - the majority of visitors to most sites must fall into that category, so their perspective would indeed be more valuable, if anything, unless the author were looking for a way to "fix" something - the reason the movie appears in the same "space" is that it is in the same window - previously, the other "sites" were as well, so you would have been happier in the old days - but I decided new windows offered greater "viewer control" - I open 'em 10px from the top and 5px from the left side so viewers can "see what's goin' on" - not sure if this is of any use - I don't want my new windows opening with their status bar off-screen so I shortened them up as much as I could - Artfact is the pain here because I want at least a piece of the text visible so people won't miss it - part of the problem, I think, is that I have the height of my browser controls minimized (no personal toolbar, small icons in IE and none in Netscape, location bar on the same line as the icons in IE) - I'd be interested in the opinion of others on these issues

thanks again allie for your help

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blimey...

You must have caught most people when they were in essay writing mood!

Needless to say I won't repeat most of the comments, but my apologies if I repeat something already mentioned.. there was so much to read!

Your site told me "Good afternoon, it's Jun 19 13:50" which scared the hell out of me as it was actually 18:56! I didn't look at the code - that must be based on your server time? You should change it so it is the users computer time!

Whilst people are confused with the forward/back buttons (me included) the status bar message for back was wrong (it said "Go back to next document..." surely it should be "previous" !?

I am sure you have done this before but I missed it...

What is the point of the flags thing? And what does vexil... mean? It was quite good fun (I got about 75%)...!

And is the "blah blah blah and a game" an american thing? Makes NO sense to me!

Thought the site was nice though (even if the text was a little hard to read!).
    I swear to drunk I'm not God.
    » Matt's debating is not a crime «
    Hint: Don't buy a stupid dwarf ö Clicky

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

does anybody really know what time it is? does anybody really care?

well, I sure don't know much of anything about computa clocks - fwiw, no one has mentioned this problem to me before - here's the code I'm using
    Code:
    <?php $var = date ("H");
    if ($var > 4 and $var <= 11) {echo "Good Morning, it's";}
    elseif ($var > 11 and $var < 18) {echo "Good Afternoon, it's";}
    else {echo "Good Evening, it's";} ?>
    <?php echo date ("D M d H:i:s")?>
    thanks a lot for pointing out the error in the status message - since I'm no longer using frames, I took that part out as well - no real point to the flags - I just like flags and was learning/demonstrating rollovers and the use of imagery - admittedly, these images aren't all that "complex" -VEXILLOLOGY is the study of flags, from the word for the old Roman cavalry flag - a lot of people ask about that (some even complain ), but I always just direct them to the EDITING page and the link to DICTIONARIES - I'm glad you enjoyed it - no one has ever told me they even played it before! - did you get the first one, only available on a reload once you start playing? - this area was in the news recently - don't know what you mean by 'blah blah blah" - I know you're talking about the tooltips that display onmouseover, but I don't understand your question - I'm working on a more readable text - don't hold your breath on that one - and I'm afraid a lot of the material in this thread is my own - I'm not much of a web developer, but I can type and spout fairly well
    Last edited by mmi; Jun 19, 2001 at 13:35.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Figures...

I assumed that's what vexillogical meant. I must use that next time I'm in the pub! The flags worked well (even if a little slow to load, and the first one displayed, no refresh needed [IE55]).

Have you considered using a preloader - this would get the images ready so that they will display almost immediately. I could find you one if you want...

Had another look - the time is still displaying incorrectly (it's about 4 hours slow) - maybe post it in the PHP section of the help forums - I would have used Javascript, rather than PHP. Something like this...

<SCRIPT>
    document.write(Date()+".")
    </SCRIPT>

I don't know if this would work any better, but it certainly gives the right date on my system

And the blah blah blah thing.. I wasn't referring to blah blah blah more the bit after it which was "...and a game" in the nav mouseovers - I just wondered what that expression meant!
    I swear to drunk I'm not God.
    » Matt's debating is not a crime «
    Hint: Don't buy a stupid dwarf ö Clicky

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

time, time, time, look what's become of me while I looked around for my possibilities

ya gotta add another syllable - VEXILLOLOGICAL - that's what makes it weird! - I definitely attempt to preload images on my site where it's useful, like with rollovers - as I said in this thread, on my machine, in N4, these are instantly loaded (I'm accessing with cable on 500Mhz), but significantly slower on IE - it's the nav menu on the main pages and in Cooking My Way that give me some trouble - those flags come right up for me though - the code I use to preload is right in those files - I know there are variations on these - I'd definitely be interested in improving on them if possible - on that first flag, yes, it should indeed appear on the page initially without a reload, but once you "start playing," i.e., mousing over the letters to display other flags, you do need to reload to see the first one because there's no letter asociated with it - my time still shows correctly - like I say, never heard this before - that doesn't mean much if it's happening to you, though - anyone else see a problem with the display or the code? - on "and a game," just an attempt to describe the contents of the page - I tried to provide a little entertainment on an otherwise fairly "dry" site, I guess, while I was learning/demonstrating rollovers and digital imagery - production of the baseball card images was a lot more difficult - the problem with those is the text on them is too small, even at 800&#215;600 - more a design problem really, cuz the larger ones you get when you click on a player's position are more or less legible - thanks for your continued help

HERE'S TO VEXILLOLOGY!!
    Last edited by mmi; Jun 20, 2001 at 06:46.