User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast HardwareQA's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HardwareQA Redesigned :: Plz Review

Hello People,
    Iíve redesigned hardwareqa.com and I would really like to know what you think about it.

Thanks

www.hardwareqa.com
    "There are lies, damn lies, and statistics."
    -Benjamin Disraeli

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow - very nice colours! I love that colour scheme! Everyone has to see this! Grey and orange.

I really like the visual appearance of the site.

I am 1024x768x32bit
    IE5.5 on PC

Here's some suggestions:
    - Make your logo (top left) stand out just a bit more by contrasting it with everything else. If just one element of the site should be readable from across the room, it should be the logo/header. I'd make it darker text on a lighter background, larger and bolder. Perhaps add a new colour such as a deeper red-orange-ochre colour. Perhaps it could stretch to fill that white space to the side of the search box.

- I might consider increasing the margin (cellpadding) on the right hand grey table. The text is very close to the edge of the table. Either do this or make the orange border lighter. Just a suggestion.

Content is good. Nice and helpful.

Consider placing links at the bottom of each article (ie the Hook Up Your Stereo) to "tell a friend" or "add to favorites" etc. Also consider having some way of placing links to related articles there. You want to encourage people to keep browsing when they get to the bottom of an article.

great site, see you later...
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth BlogTwitterContact me
    Neon Javascript FrameworkJokesAndroid stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

EXCELLENT concept and material - may need more "explanation"

I'm not sure what it is I'm after - maybe just a paragraph or two explaining how the site is set up - an INTRODUCTION, I guess - you lose a lot of text formatting in Netscape 4 (I know; who cares, right?) - also, there's a border around search.gif - I was gonna say give the IMG tag a border="0" attribute, but since it's an INPUT tag, don't know - I can see you've allowed yourself some license in your text, so I won't waste your time with my usual attempt at a copyedit, but there are a few typos you may want to correct - "On a separate note it seems that the Coppermine-T..." - "But you know that they are all the same chip so they should perform..." - "Advanced Windows Messenger" - "Well the news is kinda slow, but its saturday after all, so if you're feeling bored i recommend" - "Balloon Warfare"? - "And on a separate note..." - "Viahardware has some interesting news at their site" - "their coverage of computex 2001" - "companies like Allias|Wavefront upgrade their programs constantly and their upgrades really make a difference."

anyway, I let ya go on some apostrophes in conjunctions, some capitalizations and some other punctuation - don't get me wrong - these kinds are errors are really very minor - but since I don't know much of anything about design and programming, I have to say something to get my site reviewed

btw, if you like to mock M$ as much as I do, check out this article
    Last edited by mmi; Jun 13, 2001 at 12:55.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    (Viewed on IE 5.5, 1280x1024, T3 LAN):

Nice site, here's some constructive criticism:

- The Navbar is good: simple and easy to navigate. But: I can't see in which categorie I currently am. You could solve this by marking the current section in your navbar (highlighted text for example) or with a seperate header in the main frames/layer in the middle, saying "Hardware", "Software" etc.

- Your colour choice of orange is not one of my favourites - just my personal taste. But besides that, your colour scheme leaves a pale impression IMO. Maybe you should add/change colours or add colourful pictures/logos to provide more contrast.

- Intuitively I would not look for a Search function on the right top. I would rather put it on the left side, maybe directly under the navbar. Would be more intuitive, since the Search function searches on the categories you list in the navbar before.

- The top frame is "empty" somehow. Would be nice if you could fill the top frame with a wider 'HardwareQA' logo and make a seamless connection to the navbar on the left.

_Jens
    "Every takeoff is optional, every landing is mandatory."
    www.FeierMehl.com

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Review

HardwareQA, your site is nice and clean. Somehow the logo seems wrong. The sidebar menu and the search box all have rounded edges but the the logo is square. Maybe there is some way to incorporate the logo into the main sidebar menu. I think you should add a phrase up top which succintly explains the purpose of your site such as elance's, "The World's largest professional services marketplace."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Flaming typical. I get to a site with only a few replies, but everyone has said it all before.

But I have to re-iterate a few points:

If you are doing reviews of serious stuff, you have to ensure your grammar and punctuation etc is spot on. I was looking at the article on plugging your computer into a hifi and saw loads: [how many can you spot!?]

"Computer with sound card-most every computer now has a sound card built into it, and if your reading this chances are you have a computer.
    Stereo-any stereo will do as long as it has an auxiliary input. But of coarse the bigger the better, just take it easy on your neighbors when you blast your Napster goodness.
    1/8Ē stereo plug to RCA cables: this is the key to hooking up your stereo, I got one at Wal-Mart but they can be found other places radioshack is a great place to get it too"

It got annoying after a while!

Anyway that is the only real criticism - the logo does look odd - too detached from the rest of the page. The colours though work really well, and are very easy on the eye. AND your rounded corners are as crisp as I have ever seen!

Good work. Juts lerne who two spaek!
    I swear to drunk I'm not God.
    Ľ Matt's debating is not a crime ę
    Hint: Don't buy a stupid dwarf Ų Clicky

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    specs: 1024x768x24bit using a 56k modem
    browsers used: IE5.5 & NS6

I'd like to agree with mmj, the colouring scheme works out well on the site. Also rgremill made a good point about the main logo being different from the rest of the design. Maybe you can fill the white bit (between the main logo and search) with orange to make it look more campact. The search logo also is a bit to blurred looking for my liking, you should consider sharpening it up a little.

The lack of headings also came to my attention on your site, for example in the 'about us' and the 'contact us' sections were the same, infact almost identical if it wasn't for where the links goto.

When I ran NS6 on this site the first thing I noticed was the menu links were different, I took a screenshot of this to show what I was talking about, maybe the css is wrong? I'm not sure, I didn't look to much into it.

But all in all, the site had good content, good design and just needs to fix up a few "minor" glitches. Hope I was of some help heh.
    Last edited by neil; Jun 14, 2001 at 12:43.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice site, fair colour theme. I only have one problem and this is a Netscape problem. It has to do with your font size in some areas.

The "Main Menu" an "Corporate" menus are very readable, but the "Latest Articles" and secondary menus througout the site are unreadble. The only way they can be seen is when I make my font Large, at medium or smaller the text is partly erased. The same is happening to the orange text in the content table to the right.

Viewing this page with Internet Explorer it is just fine, keep in mind that NS displays font sizes at least one point smaller than IE does.
    Raven Bren
    NS 4.75, 800x600-1024x768, T1 cable, Win "98

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

stylish concerns

yeah, I think this is css-related - default.css looks ok to me (doesn't mean much ), but I'm wondering if Netscape is unhappy with the use of the anchor tag to contain the class attribute - maybe it wants you to use the TD (talk about a guess ) - I found some other code that may be causing problems - style is not being applied in Netscape to the "dropbox" menu on the left because it doesn't support class an attribute for SELECT - in the code for that and the search engine, you may be using forms and tables incorrectly - I think forms should be inside TD's or else the whole TABLE should be inside the FORM - the bgcolor changes in the menu don't work in N; it doesn't support mouseovers and outs in TABLE's or TD's - in the Latest Articles section, what are these guys for
    Code:
    <a name="newsitem991412706,1617,"></a>
    in News : Intel Gets Poised To Finally Release i845, the ANCHOR for "Digital Life's preview of it" has a "targe" attribute, which, I believe, simply causes the page to load in the same window
    -----------
    I tried using TD to apply class in N, got nowhere - tried a SPAN tag, nada - maybe the problem is that these are nested tables - another guess
    Last edited by mmi; Jun 14, 2001 at 14:08.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Concerning problems with the CSS, I think as soon as NS comes across a property it doesn't like it just ditches the whole thing. This includes not specifying a variable.

For instance in default.css you have specified

scrollbar-3dlight-color:'';
    scrollbar-darkshadow-Color:'';

By missing out the values, NS throws the toys out of the pram and says goodnight.

Try specifying a value or wiping the property altogether if you're not going to use it. This will also involve getting ALL your properties checked to see if they're valid. Try running it through the CSS validator at www.w3.org to see if that brings anything up...
    I swear to drunk I'm not God.
    Ľ Matt's debating is not a crime ę
    Hint: Don't buy a stupid dwarf Ų Clicky

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: EXCELLENT concept and material - may need more "explanation"

Originally posted by mmi
    I'm not sure what it is I'm after - maybe just a paragraph or two explaining how the site is set up - an INTRODUCTION, I guess - you lose a lot of text formatting in Netscape 4 (I know; who cares, right?) - also, there's a border around search.gif - I was gonna say give the IMG tag a border="0" attribute, but since it's an INPUT tag, don't know - I can see you've allowed yourself some license in your text, so I won't waste your time with my usual attempt at a copyedit, but there are a few typos you may want to correct - "On a separate note it seems that the Coppermine-T..." - "But you know that they are all the same chip so they should perform..." - "Advanced Windows Messenger" - "Well the news is kinda slow, but its saturday after all, so if you're feeling bored i recommend" - "Balloon Warfare"? - "And on a separate note..." - "Viahardware has some interesting news at their site" - "their coverage of computex 2001" - "companies like Allias|Wavefront upgrade their programs constantly and their upgrades really make a difference."

anyway, I let ya go on some apostrophes in conjunctions, some capitalizations and some other punctuation - don't get me wrong - these kinds are errors are really very minor - but since I don't know much of anything about design and programming, I have to say something to get my site reviewed

btw, if you like to mock M$ as much as I do, check out this article
    Thanks for bringing it to my attention. I didnít realize how many typos HQA had. Well this means Iíll be pressing F7 a lot in the next few days
    -Benjamin Disraeli

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: stylish concerns

Originally posted by mmi
    ... in the Latest Articles section, what are these guys for
    Code:
    <a name="newsitem991412706,1617,"></a>
    NewsPRO adds them (I think it does that because it wants you to allow to link to a specific news post.). Iíll try to figure out how to remove them.
    -Benjamin Disraeli

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Netscape is a big pain in the butt for me One of the reasons Iíve decided to redesign the site is to make it work better with Netscape. I am still trying to figure out how to fix font problems. If anyone has any ideas or a link to an article that might explain how to fix those problems please email me.

I will be changing the logo to something thatís more round

Btw, there is a lot of white space on top because it is reserved for banner thatís going to be there once I get enough hits.
    -Benjamin Disraeli

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only suggestion I would have is to have a News Archive section or something. No one like to scroll down a long page. I would just keep the most recent news on the front page and then include a link to a page where you can read all of the news.

I was very impressed with your site. Orange is my favorite color and I love it! What a great job!
    "I don't believe in people I don't know.
    Strangers are just friends I haven't met."
    ~Inspection 12 (Jacksonville natives, wahoo!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

road game

hey HardwareQA - Netscape and css can get complicated - some painful memory from the fairly recent past tells me that styling text inside nested tables is not possible - might very well be wrong on that - if I'm right, there's an opportunity to learn more about carpentry (building tables) - the only suggestion I could make, and I hope it's not unwelcome in this forum, is this: I'm a member of another development site over at javascriptcity forums - One of the admins over there (caislander) seems to know css inside out and is EXTREMELY helpful in this area - If you join up and post a question in the html/css section, you might end up hiring a highly qualified and FREE consultant
    -----------
    now that I think about it, maybe it was only my improperly constructed nested tables that didn't accept the style
    Last edited by mmi; Jun 15, 2001 at 05:53.