SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PR being very strange

My one site with 390 backlinks (lots of PR5 and PR4 pages and two PR6 pages) ended up getting only PR4 - how come? I have sites with far fewer and lower PR incoming links that got PR5 easily. I was sure this one would be PR5 at least. What's going on?

And yes, I know "PR doesn't matter". It still matters when you come to do link exchanges and when you're selling text links, like it or not. I'm not losing sleep over this, but I do wonder if the common assumption that PR is a simply voting system still holds. I did try to dabble in PR channeling with this site, but it certainly didn't work.

To clarify - the links to that site have been up for over six weeks. They happen to have good anchor text bla bla bla, but that's not the topic of this thread. My question is, is PR still calculated as it used to be? is it still a simple voting process where every page on the net has voting power by its own PR? I tend to think it's not anymore.
    My Web Publishing Blog: B6S.net - I dofollow but don't spam!
    Follow me on Twitter
    My favorite content writer:
    Steve Snedeker

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    SEO Forum, perhaps?

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy someonewhois's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot of people advocate the idea that links take a long time to show affect (I'm undecided of the validity of it). They basically call it a Link Aging factor, and it's said to make links irrelevant until a certain period of time has passed. This means that by the next update, chances are those links will be detected and cleared up.

I was a PR5 on my personal site, added my site to dozens of directories, got a handful of indirect link exchanges (with a couple of PR5 pages), and now my PR is 4... so

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mstwntd
    SEO Forum, perhaps?
    Isn't this the SEO forum??? or did I post somewhere else by mistake and the thread got moved - sorry if I did that.

I thought the link aging factor has to do with the SERP's. Never occured to me that it was relevant in the calculation of the PR itself. Still not sure that's the answer, I have other sites with newer links that got a higher PR. The only thing I can think of is that the site in question was restructured a few weeks ago, which means not all of its new internal URL's had been indexed at the time. It still had the incoming links from other sites though. Makes me wonder if internal links have somehow become more important for PR calculation. Just a thought.
    My Web Publishing Blog: B6S.net - I dofollow but don't spam!
    Follow me on Twitter
    My favorite content writer:
    Steve Snedeker

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy someonewhois's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was in forum support before, I think. That's where I saw the thread first.

I can only imagine that the link aging factor would affect both the SERP's as well as PR, since Google does use internal PR to rank sites, so it wouldn't keep two copies of it -- one copy without, one copy with.