SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would appreciate a review on our site

Hi I would really appreciate what you think of our site and also tell me what we might be missing.

and why you would or would not purchase a keyname

Thank you very much, Donna
    Keynames: Simplify Your URL's www.1nameonly.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm assuming you wanted us to review www.1nameonly.com ??

I think you've got a great idea going on. I browsed around the site for awhile and everything seems very well organized. Honestly, the design is a little plain for me. Maybe some graphics would help spice it up a bit.

The only real suggestion I have is what about having a list of people who have already bought a keyname? For example, you could have a page that says "These people already have their keyname!"
    *Bill Clinton
    *Microsoft
    *1nameonly
    *The Panda Pages
    *Blah blah blah

I hope this helps some! You've done a wonderful job!

P.S. On the contact page there was a small mistake:
    "Reach" was spelled "Reash"
    Last edited by gymaholic7; Jun 17, 2001 at 07:08.
    "I don't believe in people I don't know.
    Strangers are just friends I haven't met."
    ~Inspection 12 (Jacksonville natives, wahoo!)

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Jeremy W.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree, great idea.

The design really needs to communicate the message: Simplicity and helping and it doesn't do that right now.
    SVP Marketing, SoCast SRM
    Personal blog: Strategerize
    Twitter: @jeremywright

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Review of site

Hi
    First let me say that the idea is great.
    But then it got a little confusing(maybe i'm getting old), but
    at top right it has a "Keyname lookup" Now here i get confused. Am I looking up a name for myself? (if so why is the reply "no entry located". Does this mean that the name is available for use.
    I agree that the site could use a little tarting up, a couple of images maybe.
    I would also like a simple step by step guide on what to do to get my name, and I mean simple.

Good luck with your venture

Russ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Price Barrier

Donna,

I';ll get straight to the business point of the website.

I find no reason why should i change my long URL of geocities which is like :

www.geocitieis.com/dnnsdf/html.htm or something ???

to a 1nameonly which costs a US $ 25 when I can get myself a domain from namezero.com for just US$20 am I not saving $5 and what about the idea of having my own domain.

I think your team should think on this and I am sure it would be able to come over the problem of people not siging up with ur services.

Would love to help you more. Mail me and I'll see what can be done.

have a nice DAY!

- Kapil
    <br>Signature too long! A maximum of 4 lines is allowed.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our programmer fixed the reash error on the contact page ..

He also rewrote the fetch and whois engines to invite a user to purchase a keyname that does not exist ..

As for more graphics and listing those who have purchased names .. I would agree with the names part.. will work on that.

We really appreciate the input thanks alot everyone!

Sincerely, Donna

PS: as for "I find no reason why should i change my long URL of geocities which is like "

with all my friends having their own sites I can not remember their URL's, the good example is the one on our home page. I never went to her site cause I could not remember it. And with your keyname you have 7 protocols attached to your keyname, so I can get her email addresss, and her icq # inbox when I look up her keyname.

It is more like an Online Address Book

A second note : www.Bravenet.com has added our keynames in their free search engine for webmaster to add to their site.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, in response to WebGuru...
    Sure, you only pay $20 for a domain name...But then what about the $12 a month for hosting and what about the hastle of switching servers??
    This way, you can keep your same location, you just get a new and shorter name

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exactly good for you!!!! thanks for the help gymaholic7

Donna

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    haha...here's another suggestion

Maybe now you should have a page that lists reasons why it would be better to get a keyname than to switch to a domain name. It might help shift someone's opinion if they're still skeptical.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now why did I not come to this forum about 2 months ago!!
    Great ideas here wow!!!!!!

Thanks again..... I am loving the input!!!

Donna

SitePoint Zealot strangealienmagic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From reading what's been posted already, you might be finding out exactly who your target market is...

People who need to be found in search engines, need to own a domain for biz purposes, etc., like many of the folks on this forum, are not your future clients.

You're looking for people who are using the web to communicate with family members, share their hobby with others, and so on. Casual users, who just want to make it easier for friend and family to find them. Not serious enough to need or want paid hosting space.

Those are the people who would be convinced of the value of your service to them with the type of page gymaholic7 suggested.

I may be wrong about this, but I would think you would get a lot of business by running ads in "joke" ezines - a casual crowd, but involved enough with the net to likely have web sites. Hobbiest ezines would be another (obvious) choice.

Great idea with lots of potential!

One minor point on the look of your site. I love red, white, and blue (flag waver that I am), but for some reason your index page seems very contrasty. The Purchase page with the grey table BG was easier on the eyes. You might consider using some sort of white / lt grey pattern as a BG, which would cut down on the contrast and be easier on the eyes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems for consistency you should have the font the same on all your pages. I think you might want to either remove the font tags from the index page, or use css to set all the pages to the same thing.

I also have a personal dislike for red for text, but that doesn't mean it is something you should change - it's just a comment. Red, in the USA at least, usually gives the connotation of 'stop', like a stop sign, or traffic signal. So I usually just stop when I see red text.

You might also want to consider setting 'alt' tags for your navigation images especially. I also like to see text navigation somewhere on a site, usually at the bottom of long pages. That way I can choose another page without having to scroll back to the top of the page, or use the back button on the browser.

Just some thoughts.
    Nancy

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your pages are extremely slow loading for me and timing out, not sure if this is a problem with anyone else. I'm also getting several broken images.

Running on a T1 cable on Netscape
    Raven Bren
    NS 4.75, 800x600-1024x768, T1 cable, Win "98

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what's in a name? :-)

I think that's from using the link with question marks after it - try just http://www.1nameonly.com/ - on Contact Us, the address seems to be breaking kinda funny

1nameOnly.com, PO
    Box 627 Prince
    George, BCCanada
    V2L 4S8

this
    Code:
    <p><b><font color="#000087" size="2">1nameOnly.com, </font></b><b><font color="#000087" ................4S8</font></b></p>
    should be cleaned up,I'd say - something like
    Code:
    <p><b><font color="#000087" size="2">1nameOnly.com<br>PO Box 627<br>Prince George, BC<br>Canada V2L 4S8</font></b></p>
    finally, you might want to review your use of "may" and "can" for connotation and consistency

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

..then it's expensive

Well,

If you are trying to make it an online Address Book - Nah!

Expensive stuff, I would say ....and then again if I have a bundle of friends how many would get that short Id for themselves ... If I told them so they would go ahead and get a domain for themselves which serves more.

THINK - I am liking this since If u really end up convincing me for the 1nameonly thing - I could end up getting one for myself.

So lets hear it from you.

- Kapil
    <br>Signature too long! A maximum of 4 lines is allowed.