Thread: Need more RAM?

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need more RAM?

Lately I've noticed that my computer has an interesting way of goofing things up. I have 128 MB of RAM but whenever I'm looking through windows explorer or looking at files on the desktop, they change icons with something completely different, like a photograph or a photoshop graphic or something off-the-wall. Does it just need more memory?

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I have 128 on my laptop and it is adequate. I must admit I have 512 on my desktop but I don't see why you would NEED more than 128!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    certain apps hog memory or even leak memory (as you use them they tend to eat it or something equally strange). windows only gives out a certain amount no matter how much ram you have (something reallly small like 128k), and when you get to a low percentage (ie 0%) then icons etc are usually the first to go before blue screen time...i usually have resource meter in my system tray so i can see when i am getting near crash and burn time, then i can see when its time to start closing apps such as homesite (this and photoshop are my worst offenders)

this i think will explain it better than my gibberish:

http://www.windows-help.net/techfile...resources.html

cheers

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently worked on a non-linear editing suite with 768 Mb of RAM (on a G3 Mac!). It certainly wasn't a top-notch system but it required all the RAM it could get.

As video and audio editing becomes more popular and faster, as well as broadband web content, large amounts of RAM will become helpful.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Need more RAM?

Originally posted by Sparkie
    Lately I've noticed that my computer has an interesting way of goofing things up. I have 128 MB of RAM but whenever I'm looking through windows explorer or looking at files on the desktop, they change icons with something completely different, like a photograph or a photoshop graphic or something off-the-wall. Does it just need more memory?
    I'm really sorry to say this, but you sound like the computer illiterate newbie every tech support guy fears to meet

You don't need more memory to fix those problems, you need a reinstall of Windows. A shortage of memory doesn't result in such weird behaviour, Windows does such things, not the hardware.

It might be a good idea to add another 128/256 MB RAM, but this totally unrelated to your problem.
    www.nyanko.ws - My web-, software- and game development company.
    www.mayaposch.com - My personal site and blog.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've tried that, only it made the problem worse.. now the strange icons come up sooner, and I wouldn't have had the computer on very long before they appear. argh.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been having that problem lately. The icons have been appearing faded out, almost semi-transparent. It's a new computer and I have 160mb's RAM in it. I'm wondering if it's caused by the shared memory with the video card, I hate that setup. I'm using Windows ME, which seems to be terrible at managing memory. It'll show that free memory is at around 20%, after closing everything out it'll be around 32%. Memory managing programs don't seem to do anything for it. I'm about to go ahead and throw another 256mb's in and a good video card. I work a lot in photoshop, 3d studio, bryce, occasionally running apache for local work and some other stuff which seems pretty demanding on resources..
    Everything has been figured out, except how to live. - Jean-Paul Sartre (1905-1980)

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sparkie, if you have TweakUI, try this:

Open tweakui
    Go to the repair tab
    Select "Rebuild Icons" and hit Repair now

When I was having that problem, those steps fixed it for me.

SitePoint Enthusiast ResearchTrack's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Need more RAM?

Originally posted by Sparkie
    Lately I've noticed that my computer has an interesting way of goofing things up. I have 128 MB of RAM but or something off-the-wall.
    Does it just need more memory?
    Hi Sparkie,

Windows reserved alway's the half of the installed RAM for itself - and the rest is for the other programs. Beside of that what for proggies you have running in the background like a firewall, antivirus-progs and other little neat programs - try a program like "RAMBooster" to delete your RAM from files which programs have left there - try out this link

http://www.sci.fi/~borg/rambooster/index.htm

and please mail how it works for you

Greetings from the other side of the planet

webcat111
    Webmasters: Be sure your are getting not
    in trouble with your business or domain name.
    ResearchTrack - comprehensive trademark and company name
    research services

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know it could be video memory, how good of a graphics card do you got? Because if you use up all your video memory pictures and things will look crazy because your computer doesn't have enough memory to render them. This has happened to me a few times before I got my new graphics card.

On another note, with as cheap as ram is, why not buy more?
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Re: Need more RAM?

Originally posted by webcat111

try out this link
    http://www.sci.fi/~borg/rambooster/index.htm
    Greetings from the other side of the planet
    webcat111
    Thanks webKitten! hehehe

I have a Voodoo 3D graphics card, not anything fancy because I dont play any graphics intensive videogames..soon I'll upgrade my new machine to windows 2000. Does it have better memory management?

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Windows 2000 consumes more memory but has better memory management. It also requires a faster processor but has very nice process management, which means it manages your processor better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Aidan Bahta
    Windows 2000 consumes more memory but has better memory management. It also requires a faster processor but has very nice process management, which means it manages your processor better.
    I find win2k is the BEST when it comes to running app's, like photoshop or SQL server etc

I have 640MB RAM in my system, even though that is really a little over the top (hey RAM was cheap at the time ) I am really glad to have it, especially seeing that I run SQL Server 2000 on my system.

I also have two monitors, so I can have two app's open (one being displayed on each monitor), great, when the apps are SQL Server and Visual Studio, plus I've got room to spare

I really think your main problem is that you are running the good ol' (sarcastic!) windows 9x platform, which really can be defined as a virus.
    Well it:

• Crashes your computer
    • Can corrupt your data
    • Make your computer do things that you don't want it to

Feal free to add any more to the list

I won't say Win2k is perfect, but it is a hell alot more stable than the win 9x platform.

It didn't even crash when I forgot to un-comment an end statment for a loop, I had cleaning out the 800+ (I stopped counting)lol emails that it sent to me before I restarted the computer lol.
    .NET Code Monkey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    crucial.com is the absolute best place to buy RAM, they have low prices and every manufactered types.
    Free Science Homework Help
    http://www.physicsforums.com

********* Callithumpian silver trophy freakysid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RAM is to a computer as handbags and shoes are to women; regardless of whether or not you need more, you can never have enough

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by dethfire
    crucial.com is the absolute best place to buy RAM, they have low prices and every manufactered types.
    Damn you for giving out this link ! I just spend $59.39 for additional 256 MB's
    Vladimir S. Pekulas
    http://www.Europeum.net
    http://wap.Europeum.net

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by freakysid
    RAM is to a computer as handbags and shoes are to women; regardless of whether or not you need more, you can never have enough
    sid!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Seer
    I've been having that problem lately. The icons have been appearing faded out, almost semi-transparent. It's a new computer and I have 160mb's RAM in it.
    Seer, check to make sure they arnt set as hidden files if they appear semi-transparent, Windows display's hidden files (when you have explorer set to display all files) as semi-transparent.

Pete
    Current Projects:
    Brighton Rockz - The only Albion Fanzine

Always Skint - THE forums for BHAFC fans