SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

View Poll Results: How old were you when you first started programming HTML?

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • 15 years old and before

40 40.40%
  • 15 - 20

26 26.26%
  • 20 - 25

12 12.12%
  • 25 - 30

7 7.07%
  • 30 - 35

5 5.05%
  • 35 - 40

2 2.02%
  • 40 - 45

2 2.02%
  • 45 - 50

4 4.04%
  • 50 years old and more

1 1.01%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."
    -- Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started in April 1999 when I was 14. It was at work experience, and I had to stay in school, so I chose the I.T department. They set me a project to design a web page. I started then in NotePad using about three books as references. Back then tables were so complicated to me, haha.
    Then in about November 1999 I made a web site which got me suspended from school for a day. It was so funny. But it got taken offline because the school threatened us in various ways of expulsion.

- Will

Misfit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started playing with HTML back in 1994, which made me... uh, 9 years of age. I can still remember AOL's Personal Publisher.

Blissed off
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How old was I?

I was knee-high to a jelly bean!

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was 11 when I started. I am 13 now and I have come a long way. I already know HTML and Perl and I am working on PHP and MySQL. Hopefully one day I will be a successful designer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, you've certainly got a good start! Good luck - but somehow I don't think you'll need it..
    http://www.justjeni.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm beginning to think people these days have nothing but the computer as part of their lives.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."
    -- Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I was about 12 or 13 when I first got started. Now I just need to learn how to create those pesky graphics. I guess it just takes lots of practice to do that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah

i'm 17 now but I was about 12 when I started playing around with HTML. I made a few lame, crappy sites, but then I started designing graphics.

I'm 17 now, but not many people like to use the raw HTML anymore usualy pubisher or some other cheap arsed program that does a bad job of it. I have come to use dreamweaver though, it seems to do a good job.

Xbox why have you forsaken me? moospot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was 23.. about 4 years ago..seems so long ago. HTML 3 was all the rage. I learned from an online tutorial at w3c.org. My first page was also on GeoCities !! That was in the days before all the pop-ups!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, if anyone cares =)

I've been programming HTML for 1,5 years now, started when I was 15, but the funny thing is, I only know the basics along with some PHP things, but that's all I need to know to get a site running. All I know I learned by being hosted by Messiah, browsing these forums somewhere as well =)
    Thanks mate

I am mainly doing graphics, well, trying =)
    But I finished school today! Parteey!! =)
    Jeroen Mulder

w: www.jeroenmulder.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started when I was nine, I think (five years ago) and have since then decided that it's a good career path (web design, that is), at least until I hit college age, haha. And for whoever made the post about people using publishers like FrontPage or DreamWeaver, I still use good ol' Notepad, although I am going to look into trying to making my own HTML publisher.

In reply to moospot - those were the good ol' days eh? There were only a few free website services back then... Xoom, Geocities, Angelfire are the ones I can remember. Now there are hundreds and most of the big ones - including the three I mentioned before - have been bought out; Geocities by Yahoo, Angelfire by Lycos, and Xoom by someone or other. And almost nobody has pages without ads anymore.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jesus Christ!
    I'm so surprised! You're so young. What's happening? In future you born and just start sitting in front of computer and programming and programming.

I started learning HTML at university and maybe I was 21 ... I can't remember now.
    Last edited by magi; Jun 22, 2001 at 14:41.