SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

View Poll Results: How old were you when you first started programming HTML?

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • 15 years old and before

40 40.40%
  • 15 - 20

26 26.26%
  • 20 - 25

12 12.12%
  • 25 - 30

7 7.07%
  • 30 - 35

5 5.05%
  • 35 - 40

2 2.02%
  • 40 - 45

2 2.02%
  • 45 - 50

4 4.04%
  • 50 years old and more

1 1.01%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I first started coding HTML back in 1993 when I was 16 years old and BSed my way into a job at the first ISP in the area. Things have come a long way, but it seems like the table based layout that I used back then (yahoo was the first site that I noticed using tables to layout text back then) is still the norm for most web sites. Notepad is still my primary editor. (Actually, I use cold fusion studio a lot, although I basically use it as a glorified notepad)

I recently quit my underpaid webmaster job and am doing on-site consulting now. I miss coding (SQL/CF/C++/JS), but being self employed is a lot more gratifying.

-Pablo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    chalk me up with the feeling old set... holy smokes...
    it's great to see so many "young" (that means under 25 to me) designers - although i must admit i feel a little intimidated being WAY outdone by them... it gives me something to aspire to! Time to start "youthing..." i guess...
    kera mchugh
    designer
    somethingelse web+graphics
    www.time4somethingelse.com

SitePoint Addict michaelwheaton's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I learned HTML between the ages of 11 and 12........and I still have lots to learn. A few years ago for a school project we built webpages and I just used Claris Home Page, about the worst WYSIWYG page maker I have ever used. Then I started building more pages for fun at home and bought FrontPage, which I liked back then. I started looking at the source to see how it all worked and tought myself the basics. I learned the rest using online tutorials and old books from the library and garage sales. I think I'm pretty good with it now, but I am constantly learning more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was 1995 and I was 19. I put up my first website on geocities. I still have it because I tested it on my computer before uploading it and I saved it to a floppy. After a few months though I got into javascript because there was only so much to be done with HTML.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey,
    We old foke got 2 in over 45.... now if I could just see far enough to find my walker....
    Dynamic HTML - Is that a Frisbee based language...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I laughed so~~ much when reading your last post! (not being rude or anything) They say: It's never too late, you know!

Anyone seen my cypher? OneChance's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started in late '95 when I was 23. My first page was a quick reference for HTML 3.2. I can't even remember why I did it, but it's still out there. Actually, I shut down the site, but someone stole the content and put it on their own site. Don't ask me why I put all of the descriptions in parentheses and didn't use proper letter casing or punctuation. Got to looove the horizontal rule. My, how times have changed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was 11, I was building simple sites for everyone I knew. Then they MADE me learn it it computer camp, although I already knew it, then They MADE me learn it in grade 8 AND 9 computer class... Damn School, those computer courses never taught me anything I didn't know. Computer camp just taught me ICQ. I knew everything else. But its not like ICQ was hard, just I never knew about it. But when I turned 14 I turned to the business side of the internet. I started my Internet Business Consultants 10 Month Educational Course. Ever hear of it? IBC10? Yeah, it was fun, I learned a lot, taught others a lot too. A client of mine was an astrologer, she got me into astrology, I got her into the internet! She now has her own astrology website selling her astrology stuff.. PEOPLE Word of the wise. If you want to make money on the internet, start your own business, don't get fooled and work for someone else, you will always get screwed in the end. I don't know one person that hasn't. I'm 17 now. I'm doing half business half programming. I'm more programming the site for our business but when the site is done, I will be doing the business part of it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was like 10/11. Back in the day , they didnt have any WYSIWYG editors so the only option was HTML. I didnt use any books or anything, I just installed a simple HTML editor off of a CD and used it. Then, when NS 3 came out, at school they were using Netscape Composer to make webpages (they didnt know HTML) so I started using it alongside notepad. Then I have moved on to commercial WYSIWYG editors and I still heavily use good ole notepad .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    19... and my first page looked HORRIBLE!
    Haven't done the serious designing, until the last two years (i'm almost 24 now.. so figure it out )

Greetz
    That's all folks...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTW: Qslack.. you crack me up!
    Was laughing so hard i

Greetz
    That's all folks...

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started a couple years after I got on the web. That would mean I started around 1995. I began by ripping off code from other pages - that's how I learnt frames. Microsoft was a favorite site of mine to rip code from. No tutorial for me, it was Netscape all the way. Then I got into Frontpage while plagarizing designs of the Microsoft sites for local companies. Now I'm old (17) and more experienced.

http://prowsej.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was about 15. I remember I had my first free "web page" from go.com (then infoseek). I remember how cool it was to make my own html. Now, looking back, as I program PHP and learn Python, etc., it's almost embarrasing -- however -- everyone has to start somewhere!
    Colin Anderson
    Ambition is a poor excuse for those without
    sense enough to be lazy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yipes!

Crying wolf - I was so relieved to see someone else over 20! I voted and saw I was the only one in the 40 - 45 bracket and only 2 others a little older - makes me feel a bit one the outside looking in here!!

"I can proudly say that I have NEVER used a site hosted on any of the free servers."

I'm sorry - I forgot which poster said that but I just wanted to give you a viewpoint from someone who knew absolutely zero about the internet, much less HTML and all that goes into learning how to maintain and run a website.
    I feel working on a freeserver if you find yourself in this position is the best way to go. You get an opportunity to work with things, see how the process works, learn how to put in links and affiliate codes etc., without having to sink a lot of money in during the process. I did it this way so that by the time I got to the point I was ready to get a paid for host, I was better equipped to choose a web host and understood much better just what my needs were; therefore, how to pick out a host and a package suitable for me. Had I jumped into that right off the bat, I don't think I'd have a website up now! So, in some cases, it's a superb way to start out - although I would never recommend long-term it for someone seriously wishing to run a business on the net. I saw dramatic improvements in many areas when I switched to a paid for host - the biggest and most important more respect as a legit business...
    Oops..didn't mean to go on so much.
    http://www.justjeni.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Except that HTML is not a programming language - but a content markup language based on SGML.

I first used SGML in the late 1980s, then HTML when Mosaic 0.6 was released in the early 1990s.

Programming for me began in the mid 1970s in FORTRAN on punch cards...

-t

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Either 14 or 15 for me (17 now). Man, I must have read
    "HTML Complete" at least 5 times, front to back (1000 pages).

That was it for me: I became a hermit in my room, lost friends, ate every meal at my desk. Wait, that still is the story of my life. 'Cept now, I'm much more advanced.

Geez, reminiscing.
    "If it's taking up my time, then it must be good!" -Rocko

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rocko - that's my life now, too!

"Programming for me began in the mid 1970s in FORTRAN on punch cards..."

Oh my goodness - I remember those so well!! I was a data-entry operator way back when. In fact, when I first got out of tech school I was coined a "keypunch" operator, because we used the old keypunch machines and the programmers we worked under used FORTRAN!! Wow - good to run into someone else who remembers those days!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    justjeni,

Awesome: Nice to meet anotother of my kind
    "If it's taking up my time, then it must be good!" -Rocko

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hm...Started at 1998..i think...got my first major project in 1999 feb.

So...its..14 years? yicks. that sucks
    I had sites on geocities...then removed that and joined crosswinds..then rmeoved that and joined hypermart (needed cgi)...then got my own hosting account when i was old enough.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."
    -- Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was about 5 years ago, when I got my first job out of college, so I would've been 22. I was working for a small mom-and-pop comuter store and was trying to convince the owner that it would be a great way to advertise new machines and upgrades. The company went under before I ever got to upload it to the server. To think I could've been a real pioneer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well..

Rocko - looks like you and me are the elders around here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lets pay our respect to our seniors.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."
    -- Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah!

That's a good webmaster! hehe..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Yeah!

Originally posted by justjeni
    That's a good webmaster! hehe..
    huh?
    -- Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just teasing on the following comment made:
    "lets pay our respect to our seniors."