SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need some advertising advice

I run a site where people can download covers of video games. I only have adsense running now and just moved to a new server $149 a month and can't even pay for it with the advertising.

March:
    42,307 unique
    296,624 pageviews
    US: 23%
    Unknown: 21%
    UK: 10%

The site is a PR5 on google. I'm looking for a way to make enough to pay for the hosting and maybe a little to put in my pocket, but I don't want popups/unders or spyware.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you ever think of charging people to use your website? Like a subscription, maybe even a one time subscription. Offer them three covers for free and then after that require them to subscribe. To be honest ads don't always make as much money as sales.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't really want to charge for the covers because a dvd cover site got into alot of trouble over charging to download them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could you please post a link to your site, so we can have a look at it. It's hard to tell you how to optimize your earnings without seeing your site. Also, have you shoped around with hosting is $150 the best deal?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The site is c o v e r g a l a x y .com
    My old webhost wouldn't host me anymore so I got a dedicated server so I could control everything and because my bandwidth keeps going up. I'm currently using 150+gb of bandwidth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first thing I noticed is the files are huge! I rekon if you spent a weekend (depending on your skill) doing a total re-design, you could make that site really fantastic and at least double your adsense earnings.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No one will pay for video game covers because they're available at a lot of places on the net. Your numbers aren't that high, but with Fastclick or one of the other ad networks (assuming you can get in) could probably get you $100-$150/month from impressions. I wouldn't count on clicks, especially via Adsense, as no one would go on your site looking to click/buy anyway. They just want what they want -- video game covers, and then they're gone. So I suggest getting into an ad network and make the impressions work for you. Run everything from banneres to pop underes because loyalty is not very high anyway with your field.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Erikina: the covers are supposed to be huge so people can print them out and have them look good that's how i get so much repeat traffic because almost no other sites have scans that big

jackburton: i'll check into fastclicks

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fasclicks turned the site down. Are there any other good ones that aren't so picky and pay decent?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been turned down for tribal fusion, fast click, casale media, and realtech network. Anyone know of a CPM program that has decent rates and will approve almost anyone?

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you could try budsinc or mamma, but i dont think you will get "decent" rates with that site topic.

$149 seems steep. you can get dedicated servers with 1000gb bandwidth for $99 at http://www.ev1servers.net - possibly even cheaper at other places..

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a server from ev1 with 1300gb per month. I plan on also hosting a few small sites on it.