SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My thread is not turnkey

Someone put turnkey in my for sale thread.

http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255355

The site has been live on the internet for 2 months wich can be shown in the stats i have in my thread. It recieves money from google adsense not much but some. It has active members this is not a turnkey site it's farely new but in no way is it turnkey.
    Last edited by a1nerd; Apr 24, 2005 at 01:57.

Intoxicated with the madness petertdavis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, it is a turnkey.
    Peter T Davis

I buy forums - PM me if you're selling.

Snowboarders die even younger igor.kudela's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    second that
    Igor Kudela
    NetPublisher - FREE Customizable .NET CMS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate to sound a little dumb but I've seen this mentioned a couple of times within this forum, but what exactly do you mean by "turnkey" ?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're working on some changes for the Sell Your Site section. I could answer this, but the answer is going to be obsolete shortly anyway. I hope you all can be patient while we iron out the details.
    Peter T Davis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please describe turnkey to me. My site is unique i designed the layout from scratch this site is not mass produced on prozilla or any other site. The site has been live on the net for months and i also have revenue. There is also 3 age rating sites on the net i created two of them and this one is different from the other one i created. This one has two voting options and has a nicer layout and display. Putting turkey on my listing is like saying it's worth nothing!!!! I spent close to $500 so far on the programming, design and promotion. Turnkey is a site that has no promotion and is hot off the press mine is not. Today alone i had over 10 new signups with over 900 unique ip addresses and made several dollars on google adsense. By the way i have more then 49 members!

Basically for all you that are wondering what turnkey is to a seller it's like a dirty 4 letter word especially if it's not turnkey. Turnkey is a site that is massed produced on www.prozilla.com and other sites that make cheesy turnkey designed sites that take no more then 5 bucks to make. What makes me upset mine is not and i have spent tons of cash, months and sleepless nights making my site the way it is now.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Bleys's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by a1nerd
    Putting turkey on my listing is like saying it's worth nothing!!!!
    That's not true. I have made $1200 this week selling sites with the [turnkey] tag (4 of them, to be exact). If Peter wishes to explain further why this site has been relabeled, he might, however, this is a judgement call by the Advisors and their decisions are final.
    Josh is an anomaly
    rails & work & twitter

Organization is the
    death of creativity.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy someonewhois's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The general consensus of turnkey would be just a Prozilla/dotcombuilder site with domain. A generic site. For some reason, SP seems to consider all trafficless sites to be "turnkey", which I've come to accept. That said, I don't see how yours is turnkey, unless I missed one of the definition clauses. Your site has traffic, income, and is custom, correct?

I think the sell your site/domain definitely need to be reformed. Traditional turnkeys sites are just a domain. I doubt many people actually use the DotComBuilder template/script that came with it. That said, people like Toni have been selling wonderfully designed sites, but for some reason SP considers it a turnkey. I think custom sites should be labelled with [Trafficless], and the dotcombulider sites should just be listed in sell your domain.. but that's just me.

The sell your domain forum DEFINITELY needs a rule saying that the domain MUST be in the title etc. etc., if you're going to reform it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the sell your site/domain definitely need to be reformed.
    As I stated, it's in the works.
    Peter T Davis

Gone!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by someonewhois
    The general consensus of turnkey would be just a Prozilla/dotcombuilder site with domain. A generic site. For some reason, SP seems to consider all trafficless sites to be "turnkey", which I've come to accept. That said, I don't see how yours is turnkey, unless I missed one of the definition clauses. Your site has traffic, income, and is custom, correct?

I think the sell your site/domain definitely need to be reformed. Traditional turnkeys sites are just a domain. I doubt many people actually use the DotComBuilder template/script that came with it. That said, people like Toni have been selling wonderfully designed sites, but for some reason SP considers it a turnkey. I think custom sites should be labelled with [Trafficless], and the dotcombulider sites should just be listed in sell your domain.. but that's just me.
    As you have hinted towards, it all comes down to personal & group opinion. As a team we have decided on rules and decided how to moderate them. The addition of a turnkey tag does not mean it fits z,y or z site's definition of turnkey, but ours - "generally" (key word - do not take sentence literally) a site which is relatively new, with not a lot of traffic and/or has been farmed to sell on, not culture and become "your baby". Toni's (I feel bad becuase this young lady is being singled out so much over this) sites are great, well designed and well executed - however, they are the result of a few hours of tweaking, a quick well presented logo & colour scheme, the change a few featured product links & node files, and few custom articles. Made to sell - heck - I have been tempted [to buy one from either Josh or Toni] myself - but the "template of the site" (structurally, not aesthetically) is more or less the same each time.

As Peter has stated - a change is coming which will reward those with decent (again, a general term - do not take literally) sites and impose less restrictions on those with cookie cutter, turnkey, turnkey-kinda, clone etc etc sites.

The sell your domain forum DEFINITELY needs a rule saying that the domain MUST be in the title etc. etc., if you're going to reform it.
    Did you mean Sell Your Domain forum or Sell Your Site forum. If the latter - you have an eerie sense of perception - if the first - why is that, specifically why "DEFINATELY" above "should".

Dan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dan,

Thanks for clearing that up. So turnkeys are any site that looks as if it was made to sell... and trafficless sites are counted as turnkey too. Sounds fair.

I meant domain. There's just way too many threads "GOOD DOMAINS HERE". It's a pain having to click through titles of "SUPER-CHEAP PRICES, AMAZING DOMAINS" then saying "$300 for 1029840982sd0pjcxklldfcx.com". The over-whoring is annoying, and it's pretty useless to have to click through each post to see the domains. Just a suggestion (off topic, slightly).

Quote Originally Posted by petertdavis
    As I stated, it's in the works.
    I was more of saying "That's great" as opposed to saying "Gah SP needs to get on this".

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nathan, I think you're going to be happy with the upcoming changes. Just be patient.
    Peter T Davis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't wait.

Gone!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dan,

Thanks for clearing that up. So turnkeys are any site that looks as if it was made to sell... and trafficless sites are counted as turnkey too. Sounds fair.
    Not exactly, thats really my personal view, but the changes will draw some bolder thicker lines to stamp out much of the grey area for members and mods alike.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Morgan
    Not exactly, thats really my personal view, but the changes will draw some bolder thicker lines to stamp out much of the grey area for members and mods alike.
    Perfect! I don't mind a rule towards tagging posts, I actually advocate it -- but with the current rules, nobody actually knows the definitions that the staff is going by.

Just one more suggestion... I think SP should scrap the "TURNKEY" idea completely. The word turnkey has traditional meaning that people still work by. I think SP needs to find a new word to tag those "made for sale" sites (maybe [Made for Sale]? ).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LoL, if you're trying to predict what we're planning you're doing a decent job of it.
    Peter T Davis

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Perfect! I don't mind a rule towards tagging posts, I actually advocate it -- but with the current rules, nobody actually knows the definitions that the staff is going by.

Just one more suggestion... I think SP should scrap the "TURNKEY" idea completely. The word turnkey has traditional meaning that people still work by. I think SP needs to find a new word to tag those "made for sale" sites (maybe [Made for Sale]? ).
    Before reading the guidelines in the Sell Your Site Forum, I always thought of "Turnkey" as turn the key and it's ready to go. I think a better tag for sites that are made from templates, etc would be "Cookie Cutter".
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

Gone!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by petertdavis
    LoL, if you're trying to predict what we're planning you're doing a decent job of it.
    Yeah, I reckon we have a mole behind the scenes - who was the last in - Josh?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great minds must just think alike.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Bleys's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Morgan
    Yeah, I reckon we have a mole behind the scenes - who was the last in - Josh?
    I have one thing to say to that:

Josh is an anomaly
    rails & work & twitter

Organization is the
    death of creativity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes the script is customized and the layout is 100% custom.